It's come to this...

Page 1 of 2
While driving around in another part of town today, I spotted a new kind of shop:
"Tire Rental" "As low as $3.00/week"
They have sidelines: Wheels (tire won't be much good without a wheel), and all manner of fancy bling, or rims, or whatever they call it.
HeyBub wrote:

Hint: unless you see things like "gentrification" or "urban renewal" cropping up in the papers in respect to that particular section of town, real estate is not a good investment there.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yeah, they have been around for several years on the west side. Poor people seem to have poor money management skills. It's not all that rare to see $3000 worth of wheels and tires on a car that's not worth $1000.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

close, if I replace a tire on my '84 Buick, the tire is going to have greater value than the car :o) Got a little hole in the roof that I need to repair ... Bondo is the only thing I have heard of for the purpose, but I have never used it. And then there is the plastic on the Landau part of the roof. Lucky me, they had ladies day at the junk yard (my first time) a couple years ago, so I got some missing trim. There is a similar car in the neighborhod that looks better ... I may have to follow it home :o)
Ashton Crusher wrote:

For years I've seen worthless turds walking around wearing $300.00 sneakers.
TDD

Don't ferget that $2,000 sound system.
Steve

That's because there's a huge cultural perspective difference between those in poverty and those who aren't. When you are stuck in poverty (often for generations in the U.S., where the adults today grew up in poverty, as did their parents, and grandparents) you don't believe you're ever going to be able to get out - you're going to be stuck in a crummy low-paying job and never going to get a job that pays a living wage, never going to be able to get out of where you are so you live for the moment, buying the big screen tee-vee and the satellite service and the bling-bling for the 1972 Datsun beater and the like.
<begin shameless plug> That's why I'm such an advocate of Habitat For Humanity: because they help families in poverty see a way out, not just by helping them get an affordable home of their own but also in teaching them basic life skills like budgeting and financial planning. But most importantly they give a family a sense of hope, a belief that there IS a way out, and then they start looking at life and the world differently, start thinking about saving for a future they believe could come. I know from experience, having worked for H4H in seminary, and my wife is Dir. of Development for our local affiliate.
So this holiday season, instead of giving yet another bland sweater to Aunt Mary or yet another variation of Zelda to your nephew for his Nintendo DS, make a donation to your local Habitat affiliate in the name of family members, and change some lives. <end shameless plug>
Kyle wrote:

I totally agree. There were those who were displaced from New Orleans because of Katrina and found themselves in places like Salt Lake City or Billings, Montana - a completely different culture. Some even said: "You mean all I got to do is stand behind the counter and make Slurpees? And I get PAID for it? Damn, man, that's cool!"
Presto! The cycle is broken!

In some NC areas it is a common business to rent fancy wheels and tires. Even have ads on the radio.
     Colortyme Custom Wheels Lease-To-Own www.customwheelsnc.com      Rent-N-Roll www.rnrwheels.com
This one operates in many US states. Map link shows mostly concentrated in the southeast quadrant.
http://www.rnrwheels.com/index.php?page=locations&cid=all&vs=all
"Gawwwwwwwww-lee! Well I'll be dammed huh?!!"
HeyBub wrote:

summer as a kid, I did FHA inspections on repo houses, to make sure the windows were all there and there were locks on the doors, etc. Blew my mind to see these crappy little shacks with shiny Caddies out front, many with obvious add-on padded vinyl tops and fancy wheels and such.
Guess if you can't afford a decent crib as a show-off item, you go with what they see when you are out and about showing off.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

i wonder if thats like renting appliances,it ends up costing 3 times more than if you just bought it.

That is one of the things that keeps the poor people poor. No cash, no credit, so they rent for the same monthly (or weekly) payment forever.
You can buy a new refrigerator for about $450 today. In the same building where I worked was a used appliance dealer that preyed on the low income families. He'd sell a used model for $300 with weekly payments at 22% interest. Miss a payment and he'd repo it and sell it again.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

you'd think that people would clue up and go to the library and search craigslist and/or just go to the salvation army. Heck, I do that (well, craigslist, not SA) for non-essentials and I'm not poor. All you need is an old pickup truck and you can get all sorts of stuff for cheap/free.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I seriously doubt that's what keeps poor people poor.
Anywhere in the US, used washers, dryers, and fridges go for around $50. More if you have to have newer or side by sides. What keeps poor people poor is having to have that $600 fridge, pay 22% interest, and not paying the payments when they could have owned one for less than the down payment on the new one.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Actually, it all comes down to parental apathy and failing schools. The ranks of the poor are rapidly growing not just due to the economy, but due to the lack of education in basic life skills like balancing a checkbook or budgeting.
Pete C. wrote:

That has been a pet rant of mine for years. Many or most parents obviously are not up to the job, so the High Schools should teach a course, at least a full semester, on 'Stuff you HAVE to know how to do to survive'. Basic personal finance, how health insurance works, how apartment and car leases work, why 'Rent to Own' is best avoided, etc. Maybe throw in a week on basic car care, like how (and why) to check and change oil, and how to change a tire and jump a battery, so you don't get ripped off the first time that comes up. Make passing a requirement for graduation.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Of course "getting ripped off" is somewhat relative and something needs to be done to kill this trend of disrespecting skilled "manual" trades.
Pete C. wrote:

problem paying fair compensation for actual needed repair work, done properly. But in my younger days before I caught on, and in talking to siblings and coworkers about the experiences of them and their relatives, I find 'wall jobs' to be epidemic. Lotta crooked tradesmen, shops and shadetree guys out there, and their favorite prey are the inexperienced and untrained people who have no idea what the hell is going on. Most females get NO training in house and car repairs growing up. Most guys that think they are experts, aren't. I grew up in construction, and have turned a wrench or three, but am still clueless about a lot a specialized or modern stuff. But when I call BS when they try to rip me off on the things I DO know about, I have to wonder about what is going on with the things I know nothing about.
'Caveat Emptor' came about for a reason. -- aem sends...