It is really hard ...

Page 2 of 2

I've heard a lot of areas claim this. Midwest (Wisconson), MidAtlantic (Va), New England (Maine), even Florida in the summer time.
I think it's a 'universal truth', like "everyone talks about the weather, but...."
daestrom
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:44:34 GMT, "daestrom"

What if, early last year, over New Orleans LA, a loud voice was heard saying "A BIG F***ING STORM IS COMING! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!"?

Cleveland update: its been an unusually mild winter so far (so the residents say). it was quite mild there today. when i stopped at the Pennsylvania state line it was fridged. when i got back to central New York there is snow on the ground.
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 02:34:58 -0500, TimPerry wrote:

Sure. Teh point I tried to express to the OP was that the weather patterns in the US are quite unstable, mostly because of the Gulf of Mexico.

I live in NW Vermont (a seven hundred or so miles to the NE of Cleveland) and it's been mostly in the 30s and 40s. Today was like spring! We're about 15% behind normal in heating_degree_days. Last year wasn't so kind.
--
Keith

Gave us:

You should place at least ONE blank line between what was quoted, and your CRAP.
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 03:44:37 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs

Yes. No blank line often confuses newsreaders (such as Agent) that try to identify quoted text and show it in a different color from the new text.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Steve B wrote:

Gave us:

Also, Mr. NitFuckingPick, you should NEVER top post in Usenet.
It ain't your fucking e-mail, boy.
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 03:45:49 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs

No one has ever explained "nitpicking" in any way that makes any sense. It' just one of the weapons used in verbal assault.

Top-posting is a convenience for users, who don't want to have to scroll down. If you think that's just a minor thing, you haven't read a group with hundreds of new (bottom-posted) replies every time.
Actually, I prefer posting in the appropriate places (with at least SOME of the reply in the first screenful). However, in a comparison of posting at the top and all at the bottom, all it the top is much preferable. This is based on actual experience, not mindless following of (non-justified) rules.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

If you trim the replies correctly, though, that isn't a problem.
It's best to bottom post to keep the events in order, but also trim out what's too old to be directly relevant.
If some folks bottom post, and some top post, the quoted conversation loses coherence. So there has to be some kind of convention. Like it not, the convention is to bottom post and trim the quoted lines.
Banty
Banty

Why I actually recommended was posting in the appropriate place (as I did here). I was objecting to the presence of a single bottom-posted reply below a LOT of quoted text (could use some trimming).

That's another problem, the use of things like "convention" as excuses to get out of thinking.

And you show that people behave as "herd animals" (usually imitating others rather than doing their own thinking). "Convention" is not an accurate guide to what's best, just a suggestion.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

There are many newsgroups (the Jeep ones for a set of examples) that prefer top-posting. 'Never' is just the wrong word.......... Tomes
: > Gave us: : > : >> : >> But, ... , see? : > : > : > Also, Mr. NitFuckingPick, you should NEVER top post in Usenet. : > : > It ain't your fucking e-mail, boy. : : : There are many newsgroups (the Jeep ones for a set of examples) that prefer : top-posting. 'Never' is just the wrong word.......... : Tomes : : It "always" is! <g>

No. Coming up with "sets" of groups that were so retarded that they had to declare themselves "different" is just wrong.
It is ALT. Get used to it. Don't try to warp it. Ye be warped.
Gave us:

That's what *SHE* said...

Here is what I do Phil. I use the View: Hide Read Messages (which is what I suspect you are doing, although it might carry a different naming). If I wish to go back into an already read part of the thread I simply change the view to Show All Messages. Easy as cake. Hoping this might help, Tomes (who wishes that top posting was the norm in _these_ NGs as it makes the most sense to me)
Tomes wrote:

I use Mozilla Thunderbird and i think it would reduce your problems, and it's free... it integrates with Firefox perfectly which is also free.
-bob