Isolating Taps

Hi,
I have to replace washers for two hot water taps.
The pipes running to the taps don't have valves or gates so cutting the water supply isn't as simple as I'd hoped.
There are other gate valves dotted around the cylinder but they are stuck (presumably limescale as hard water area)
Is there another way of isolating individual taps without having to drain the whole system?
Many thanks.

Usually no (because individual shutoffs would have no other function.) Basic method is: 1. Shut off main water supply. 2. Open the first faucet on which you want to work and let it run dry before disassembly and repair. 3. Repeat for other faucet. 4. Shut off all faucets, turn on water supply, then open all faucets one by one (to let any air bubbles escape from the water column.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

If you have an electric water heater, I would like to suggest that your first step be to turn it off, and that your last step, after you bleed the air, would be to turn it on. You don't want to partially drain the tank (which could happen depending on where it is located) with the power on - it burns out the heating element
On Sep 14, 7:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@uea.ac.uk wrote:

Given your situation, I would do some wholesale valve replacement in the system. In fact, it would be desireable to replace every old fashioned gate valve with modern quarter turn valves, and even add some new shutoffs for future service work. The payoff will be the huge time saving the next time some maintainance is needed. HTH
Joe