Isn't/Wasn't there a shorage of phone lines?

That's likely why ALL phone numbers in this medium-small town used to have the "657" prefix (and we had 5-digit dialing for local calls). Now, there are several different prefixes (and even a second "overlay" area code). Now it's 10-digit dialing. You have to use the area code to call someone across the street.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Some people have more phone "numbers" than lines. Some places they call this "smart ring".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Cellphones have limited number of calls at one time.

In a TRUE emergency the system is designed to prohibit all but emergency workers from calling people, although everyone can still call 911

I get system busy on a rare occasion here.

When terrorists strike again cell users will be VERY UNHAPPY

Reply to
hallerb

Sure, there were lots of such areas. Had nothing to do with running out of phone lines though. The problem with getting higher speed modems to work was most directly related to the condition of the lines. If you lived 5 blocks from the CO, it usually worked. If you lived 5 miles away and had numerous branch taps and wire gauge changes, then it most likely would not.

Reply to
trader4

I've told this before, but when my mother moved to New Castle, Pa. in

1945, after she married my father, she would pick up the phone and ask for say, OLiver 4 1234. Finally, after a few days, the operator said, "You don't have to say OLiver 4, Ma'am. They're all OLiver 4."
Reply to
mm

Just as bad as overlay area codes is repeated area code changes. Just saw an announcement in the local paper that we're in for our fifth area code change in 25 years. I have to occasionally stop and think what our current code is...

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

What about VoIP? Some people have that.

Reply to