Is Your Spa Cover Too Heavy?

That's because the foam inside the cover sucks up water from both outside the spa during rain and snow and also from condensation from inside the spa. A quick tip to help make the cover a little lighter is to take the cover off the spa on a sunny day. Stand it up like a tent and open up any zippers the cover may have. this will help dry out your spa cover just a little. Keep doing this on sunny days to ensure dryness.

And if you just bought a cover this will happen so in order to prevent it buy a cheap plastic tarp to throw over the cover to keep it protected from the elements. It will still collect condensation from inside the spa but it wont be as bad.

Just a quick tip! For more information visit

Your Local Pool Guy

Bwhahahahahahaha! This is too funny!

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

============ Last cover I had lasted 7 years BEFORE the wife complained it was getting a "tad" too heavy for her to remove my itself... and honestly it did weight a heck of a lot more then the new one I just installed BUT these things are NOT that expensive..I would rather buy a new one every 6-7 years then remove it every sunny day...

The vinyl cover on the old one looked just fine BTW after the 7 years.. but boy the sytrofoam sure was waterlogged (saturated)...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

That's been my experience too. Current one is about 3-4 years old and is now a little heavier than new, but still OK. I seriously doubt that trying to dry it out on a sunny day is going to help much, as it's the styrofoam that gets water logged and the water is trapped inside. Even the poster says it only dries it out just a little, so what't the point?

Reply to
trader4

This is just a tip to help keep the cover lighter while it's aging. And it doesnt have to dry on every sunny day just a few or after it rains. The best tip is to keep a small tarp over it when its not in use for a long period. This will help keep the Styrofoam from getting soaked from the outside. This is a tip to make your cover last longer.

Your Local Pool Guy

The reason I'm laughing is that there is no way in hell you can dry out those blocks of foam once they are saturated. Maybe if you took the blocks out of the covers completely and had a giant oven where you could heat them for a few weeks... Most cover suppliers offer an option to "double wrap" the blocks. The polyethelene wrap protecting the foam from moisture is what fails. Once that poly rots away, the blocks quickly soak up water. The double wrap of poly effectively doubles the life of the cover, and is usually a very inexpensive option.

Most people have a cover to keep out debris and insulate the tub to reduce power consumption. Taking the cover off to dry it would be counter-productive even if it *was* effective. Just plain stupid advice from "your local pool spammer".

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Give up. You just aren't very good at this. Once the poly wrap on the foam blocks deteriorates, there is NOTHING you can do. A tarp is as meaningless as attemptiong to dry them out.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan