is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter?

Page 8 of 9

wrote

Wrong If you are ever in my area..and thats both coasts BTW...NC and Southern CA....let me know..

Pity you cant read...most can.

Not even close..tell ya what bud...post your credentials in this, and Ill post mine..and I guarantee you lost there too.

Not when talking about NG it isnt.

I know why...do you? It not due to lack of CO either.

Oink
I can..can you? its not up to me to prove a thing here, other than what we have already, and trust me trollboi, this IS teh last time I bother with you, and the only reason I do it now, is that you seem to be fun to fuck with.

Original stuff there...have your 3rd grader write it for you?

Found 4...go look some more.

Well..aint you fucking smart....tell me man, how is that possible given that the best part of ya..oh..nevermind..she didnit swallow enough.

Umm..yea..there is....what planet you on? I can cite the page its on...but..thats ok...youre paid for what?

Pitty you didnt figure out that before it was too late.

yea..differnce is, you do this trolling for the attention you ddinit get as a child...while I do it to keep that one person that would actually take you serious from gettting hurt.

In other words, Thanks CB for makin me look stupid..Im gonna go cry under mommys tit now...

Translated: DAMN man...hit the nail on the head, but Im gonna go suck on mommys other titt..or...wait....thats not a tit..but it will do....

Well, no..but thats ok..you believe that.
Hell, if you are the future, let the Muslems come on and take over...allow you to be the first one to open your mouth..and get shot.
Now..on that note...enjoy talking to yourself...LOL..I know you cant resist.

Caught lying, again...

RIght.
Pass, the smell of your arse fumes is bad enough in here.

Pathetic, really.

Pathetic, really.
Not interested in pictures of that pathetic thing you call your dick either.

Wrong again when talking about what the codes allow.

Pathetic, really.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead.

Lying, again.

Wrong, as always. If you cant find any killed that way, your stupid pig ignorant claims about venting clothes driers into the house have just blown up in your face and covered you with black stuff VERY spectacularly indeed. As always.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

No way, I wouldnt trust you further than I could toss your lard arse...

Is this where I'm sposed to curl up and die or sumfin ?

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.
And keep your depravitys out of these newsgroups too.

Yours in spades.

Easy to claim...

Go and fuck yourself, again.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Wota stunningly original line. 'thought' that up all by yourself did you ?

Pity about all the stoves and ovens that dont have one.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Wrong, as always.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Anyone who buys your bullshit can always get a CO sensor if they're so stupid they cant work out what unvented natural gas room heaters, stoves and ovens prove.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead too.
Rod Speed wrote:

What is a corse? Why do you need to resort to juvenile profanity?

Correct.
True.
No.

Pathetic, really.

I CHOOSE to. You get to like it or lump it.
And plenty more than juveniles choose to use profanity, fuckwit.

Wrong.
Yep.
What a great idea! I never even though of this. Look what I found on the internet. It seems to be just for this type of thing, with an electric dryer. I live near Buffalo NY. I can use all the help I can get with heat. . .
http://www.indoorlinttrapfilter.com/servlet/StoreFront
Lesley

Those things have been around for 20 + years. My mom had one in Iowa. All of the lint blows back into the house as well. Mom used old panty hose as a filter/catcher. Her dryer was electric, and she wanted the humidity back into the house cause of the gas furnace. It helped some, she finally stopped using it because she had to clean it so often.
Yep, it can work, as it has worked for me. BUT, see my post above. If you vent too much into the house at a time, you can cause major problems with your structure, as well as reduce the efficiency of the dryer (since the house air will be much more moisture-laden and the clothes won't dry as well). If you can spread your laundry to a load a day or less often, you could be OK. If you start getting condensation on the windows, you may be overdoing it. If the house insulation has no vapor barriers, you need to be careful (especially on the north or shaded sides, which never get sun-warmed, and therefore frozen moisture could remain all winter long.)
I know there are humidifiers for furnaces, but the indoor venting of a dryer has the potential to put huge amounts of moisture into the building in a very short time.

- udarrell
--
PROPER DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
Steve IA wrote:

I believe you will find that the usual dryer will use more fuel in that hour or a day's use than the typical stove.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Simply find places to hang you washed laundry in your home, as I do.
This saves the cost of drying them and adds humidity to you home in the winter! I live on a farm and can hang my laundry outside on a clothes line in the summer. - udarrell - Darrell
Steve IA wrote:

--
PROPER DUCT SIZING ESSENTIAL for EFFICIENCY & BTUH PERFORMANCE
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
Exactly. It happens that's what I do in colder months when weather makes drying outdoors difficult. (Clothes still spend some time outdoors for the "fresh-air treatment.) Sadly, I don't live on a farm.
Putting the partly-dry clothes near the woodstove overnight finishes the job nicely, not to mention the humidification. No need to hang them, just pile them very loosely in baskets. Great air-freshener, too.
My electric dryer collects dust, on the outside. (And wastes space, but not energy.)
Steve IA wrote:

Ask you local fire department about people using their ovens and stoves for heating and the results.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Yep, Trolls
Stretch
Pawel wrote:

I wonder if it would be cost effective for some company to produce a heat exchanger combined with a small circulating fan for recovering that heat? The fan could be switched on by a thermostat so that it only ran when the hot air from the dryer warmed the unit up.
About 25 years ago I installed one of those commercial units which had a manual flap valve for directing the hot exhaustair into the house when desired (Electric dryer, no gas danger.) It did blow a lot of lint into the room, even with a filter bag over the outlet. I wan't impressed enough to get another one when we moved up to our next house.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I've been doing some research on this, and it appears that the technology just seems to have not produced something economically viable yet for residential class dryers. For multiple commercial dryers (ie: laundramats) certainly, but not a single relatively little used unit.
Coping with the lint is perhaps the major factor, otherwise, standard heat recovery ventilators (ie: those in R2000 homes are typically $500-$900) would be common already for this purpose.
The cheapest heat reclamation units I've seen suitable for dryers are on the order of $3K at a bare minimum, and routine service schedules (lint cleanout etc.) is apparently important. Significant effectiveness and a reasonably short repayment period in a commercial setting (especially when you share them amongst several units), but not useful in a residence.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

Sound similar to the thread here a while ago started by someone who was wondering how he could recover the waste heat from warm shower water on its way down the drain.
Even in my most parsimonious of moods I wouldn't expect you'd ever get a payback of capital costs from doing something like that in a home.
Do they even do things like that in places like high school gym shower rooms?
I do remember a friend who about 35 years ago had a city water cooled air conditioning system in his home. The condenser was cooled by water, not air. He had it plumbed so that he could route the discharge water to his garden hose when he wanted to, but I expect those times were few and far between and most of the time the water just went down the drain.
That was back when city water was ignorably cheap. I haven't recently heard of any home air conditioning systems using water for condenser cooling, do they still make them? (Don't bother telling me about setting up a lawn sprinkler to spray the condenser of an air cooled unit. Same general principle, but that's not what I was rambling about.)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

It's "similar", but the difference in scale should be pretty obvious.
A dryer runs at around 3000-4000 watts. That's about half of an electric furnace. Blowing that much outside will cost you something reasonably substantial per operating hour (up to $1/hour range in some cases). This is considerably more wasted heat than 20 minutes worth of warm water - which is considerably harder to "extract" to any useful degree anyway.

Probably not at $3K. However, if it were less than $500 it starts becoming attractive.
It will be interesting to see if the stuff I saw gets down to prices reasonable for residential systems and not be quite so physically large.
Sometimes, you want to conserve power simply because it's the right thing to do.

The $3K technology I saw seems relatively new (just one manufacturer), so it hasn't gotten a lot of penetration even at the commercial end yet, where payback period was indicated to be in the 6-12 month range.
Our high school gym didn't have a dryer ;-)
If you're interested, I think this is the manufacturer I found earlier: http://www.rototherm.net/index1.html
One happy customer: http://www.rototherm.net/art_01.html (describes the technology better)
There's a patent on a simpler (no moving parts) one, but I don't think it's in manufacture:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/image-4434564-1.html
This is an interesting discussion:
http://www.energyideas.org/topics/default.cfm?s_qmr &s_qob=title&o=h,t,ts,ds&c=h,t,13,2881
(references the rototherm unit)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

Was your answer above ($3K technology) responding to my musings about the economics of heat recovery from gym shower room waste water or to recovering heat drom clothes/towel dryers?

http://www.energyideas.org/topics/default.cfm?s_qmr &s_qob=title&o=h,t,ts,ds&c=h,t,13,2881

Thanks for the links, quite interesting.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Oops, I think I got confused.
During my research for that posting, I did run across several articles where they were talking about heat recovery from waste hot water. This is apparently fairly common, but, I don't think the references I saw were for installations on the order of a "locker room shower".
At least at the higher end, waste water heat recovery can be quite critical in things like power plant cooling streams (so you don't boil the fish).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Easy: Close the drain, leave the water in the tub until it cools. -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.