Is tinted primer + one coat of paint enough for repainting walls?

Page 1 of 3
I'm getting ready to paint my new apartment and am trying to figure out the logistics.
I'm using Benjamin Moore's Regal Eggshell paint (latex). One room is currently painted dark orange, the other lime green (both also with BJ latex paint), and I'm planning to repaint both of them to light cream. The third bedroom is standard white, and I"m planning to paint that one a soft, baby blue. All three rooms are small (110-160 sq. ft) with high, 9.5 foot ceilings, and don't get much natural light (especially the orange one).
My plan is to use primer tinted close to my topcoat, and follow that with only one coat of paint. The paint stores near my house charge an arm and a leg for paint and I'm on a tight budget, so I'm hoping this is doable.
My question is: Can I get away with using high-quality tinted primer plus just one coat of paint? I'm especially concerned if that's possible in the orange room.
I'm not looking to do a perfect job, just a decent one that I'll be happy with for the year or two I'm living there. Any advice/experience is much appreciated.
dont use primer same color as topcoat, a different one makes it easier to topcoat
use 2 coats for best coverage, if the rooms are small lighter colors like white will make it appear larger

When paint stores tint primer to match a finish coat, they tint it a slightly lighter shade of the same hue, so that isn't an issue.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

if it doesn't you can say it's faux, which we all know is better.
Save money and by Behr paint at Home Depot. Kiltz at Walmart is good too. Why pay 3 times more if you are only going to be there for a short time.

Art wrote:

Because he said he wanted a quality paint that would minimize the painting work. If you think about it paint is probably the least expensive part of the job so it pays to use a quality paint.
Consumer Reports gave both brands excellent reviews.

Art wrote:

Can't say anything about Kilz but Behr is junk. And this is not from just one experience with one color or situation. I can buy much better quality paint at a real paint store for pennies difference.
Art wrote:

I had a job with behr paint, yellow over very pale purple (lavender?) - took FOUR coats!!! behr SUCKS - it will cost you 4 times what it should in paint and time.
With the top of the line benjMoore paint you MIGHT even get away with one coat, no primer!
Last time I used BM I didn't find it to be anything special.

Art wrote:

It depends what version you buy. Both Sherwin and Benjamin Moore have low end paint designed to meet a price point such as you would find at hd and a line of quality stuff. Their low end paint is one step above the hd premium stuff.
In my experience SW is junk. It cleans up well off the brushes because it doens't adhere worth a crap.

Art wrote:

So far someone has trashed every brand of paint. Does that mean they all suck? What's that old saying about opinions...?
In fact paint does suck these days compared to decades ago. That is because of environmental concerns and ingredients which can no longer be used in paint. But some are worse than others. Plus some paint companies are less than ethical. A friend of mine had a summer job when he was young and in school pouring paint from old damaged cans into new cans for sale. That is why sometimes when you get a can of paint you feel like you need to filter it thru cheese cloth before using it. Best thing to do is to return it.

Art wrote:

Sure, if you paint over dirt or grease.
My house and a number of apartments I own are painted with SW paint and I am quite pleased with how tough the paint is and how well it holds up. I started using it on the advice of someone who owns hundreds of apartments.
We were painting some rooms that were freshly drywalled and people actually thought the primer was the top coat because of how well it covered.
Its very possible you'll need a second coat to cover the darker room. It might work if you apply enough paint. Many people roll too much before going back for more. Try one of those rollers with the built in pump for fast and even coverage. I noticed that the dark colors mixed in the deep base were worst at hiding.
I suggest you buy enough for one coat and start while the paint stores are still open, It should be evident if a second coat is needed as soon as you put up the first. You'll have time to get another can before the stores close and force you to work into a second day.
A good high hiding white primer should be fine, you don't need tinted unless the topcoat is a medium or dark color. Light cream sounds close to white.

By the way, read the label about how to paint. Always keep a wet edge which means paint a strip, paint a strip next to it and keep on going. Never go back to a partially dried area until it is completely dry for recoat.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Primer is much thinner than the finish paint. It's designed to soak in, seal surfaces and act as a bonding agent for the top coat. In other words, it's not really a good choice if you're looking for coverage over a darker paint. Tinting it won't improve the hiding ability. The worst thing that could happen is to use primer and a single top coat, then find out that it didn't cover to your satisfaction so you'd be forced to buy more of the expensive top coat anyway. In other words, you'd have totally wasted your time and money on the primer.
Before I'd skimp on the top coat, I'd look into getting a less expensive paint than Benjamin Moore. I'm shuddering as I type that. In general, you get what you pay for in paint, so a less expensive paint won't hide as well and won't last as long. The expensive ingredients in paint are the solids and resins - you won't get as much of those in a cheaper paint. But, since you're only looking to get a couple of years out of the paint, the cheaper paint will suffice.

Primers like PVA type primer fit your description but stain blocking primers like Kiltz cover up quite well. The difference shows in the price too.
One of the reasons Behr paint is less expensive is that it sells in higher volume to cost consious consumers from a discount hardware store rather than meduim volume to pros and elete consumers from specialty paint stores. Lets not forget Sears (and sears owned OSH) where Glidden and Dutch Boy also have good premium and high hiding versions. The Dutch Boy, Kids Room line touts one coat coverage as a feature and they have those cool plastic paint cans with the screw on lid.
I REALLY like Behr, been using it over 10 years and never disappointed.
Kilz would be a good primer