Is this what knocking pipes sound like?

Page 2 of 2
Oren wrote:

Interesting (both posts). Thanks.
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:25:58 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:

s coming from the crawl space, but also behind the walls.

oesn't really sound like water moving in a pipe, and (2) it happens all day and night, not just when I run water. Does that sound like I need to call a plumber? (BTW, I've read about fixing knocking pipes but what I think i s the main valve is something that I can't easily turn off, so I'm not sure . I'd feel better with a plumber).

And, Pat, I'll keep a look-out the next time we get a sunny day or cooling night. I know rapid changes in temperature in the house makes the floor po p more often.
try turning off water and opening valves to see if that fixes the noise.... ..
if the noise remains its not water line related.
if you have ductwork expanding making booming noise why replace the line? a dd a metal or woood strap near the noisy spot, thats how i fixed one here. it would boom if i pushed on it so i added a strap, which prevented motion. this was a long time ago I think i put ssome foan on a board and screwed i t across the metal to end the noise. I will have to look but theres a ton o f stuff stacked there right now:(
steam or hot water heat will make noise like you describe, my first job bui lding would make all sorts of noise early in the morning as the heat turned on
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:05:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

expanding making booming noise why replace the line? add a metal or woood s trap near the noisy spot, thats how i fixed one here. it would boom if i pu shed on it so i added a strap, which prevented motion. this was a long time ago I think i put ssome foan on a board and screwed it across the metal to end the noise. I will have to look but theres a ton of stuff stacked there right now:( steam or hot water heat will make noise like you describe, my first job building would make all sorts of noise early in the morning as th e heat turned on
The duct is behind the ceiling, so they need to remove the drywall to get a t it. Once there they will decide either to restrap it, or replace it, whi chever it needs. I didn't go into detail, because it was not the point of the post.
Concerning the noise, I gather no one here thinks it is a plumbing problem, and one response said it is just a nuisance. I'm sensitive to sounds and I worry a lot about things like this. It is just so frustrating. Somethin g is moving and making a noise, and I don't know if it will become a seriou s problem, and I don't know who to call to look at it, since it happens onl y once every hour or so. Oh well, maybe I'll just learn to live with it.
[...]
*Have you considered the possibility that you have critters nesting? That would explain why the sound moves and is unrelated to other things.

Sounds like you need a bigger problem to take your mind off the small ones.
Yeah, I'm guessing you won't see the humor.
Just a few hundred years ago, you'd be very happy the sound wasn't a bear trying to knock down your front door.
--
Dan Espen

We don't know anything about the house. Is there a basement or a crawl spa ce. Is it a 1-story plus attic or a 2-story plus attic, or two-story witho ut an attic.
If the noise occurs about every hour, go to the basement or wherever the OP thinks the noise is coming from and sit down and read a good book. A leak y toilet flapper valve is easy to find, just shut the water off at that toi let, flush it so there is no pressure in the feed line, and see if the nois e stops. If it doesn't then that toilet is not a problem, and go on to a s econd and or a third toilet and repeat the test.

aky toilet flapper valve is easy to find, just shut the water off at that t oilet, flush it so there is no pressure in the feed line, and see if the no ise stops. If it doesn't then that toilet is not a problem, and go on to a second and or a third toilet and repeat the test.
Yes, it sounds like this is the OPs problem. Happens in my house too, toil et refills a little bit about once an hour and it makes a quiet little boom sound when the water shuts off. I really should replace the flapper valve .
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What is it that is making the "boom" sound? Is it hard on the pipes?

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:17:29 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

leaky toilet flapper valve is easy to find, just shut the water off at tha t toilet, flush it so there is no pressure in the feed line, and see if the noise stops. If it doesn't then that toilet is not a problem, and go on t o a second and or a third toilet and repeat the test.

boom sound when the water shuts off. I really should replace the flapper v alve.

The toilet valve is the type that the water runs until the float gets to th e desired level and then shuts off suddenly (instead of gradually less and less). This cause a noise in the pipes. I mean if you are in a quiet house you will hear the sound. If someone was turning off a faucet at the same time, you would think nothing of it, but when it happens in the middle of t he night when all else is quiet, it does catch attention. In my case it is not a loud boom, just a knock that you can easily hear. And it is from th e toilet tank topping itself off due to a slightly leaky flapper.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

have a basis for how to proceed with them in the future. Ignoring sounds (and hoping they go away) is less noble!
Bill

Good idea. That beats the idea that I proposed earlier about turning off the main water supply valve. Duh..., just shutting off the valve to the toilet makes more sense.
I can relate to this completely. Had on going problems with pipes noise and was woken at 4 am with what sounded like a sonic boom! Heating had gone of f by 6.30pm the previous night, no other taps or water running. Frightened the life out of me and as I'm in a mid terraced house God knows what the ne ighbours thought! It's making me ill, had three companies round but of cour se never makes any sounds when they come.