Is this water heater safe?

A few months ago we lost the lectric water heater in our trailer house. It just died. Last month we took out a loan and went to Home Depo and bought a new one. When I parked the pickup out front, the engine blew up. I guess the water heater was too heavy for it. Last night I drunk some beer and the ol lady started bitchin she wanted a hot bath. So, I went outside an hooked up the water heater. The only problem is my back hurts and I coundnt carry the old heater outside with all that water in it.
What I did just leave the heater in the box on the pickup truck, since the truck wont be driven anymore. I screwed some old faucets on the pipes on the new heater. I ran a garden hose from my house spigot to the pipe that says COLD on the heater. Then I ran another hose from the pipe that says HOT into the bedroom window and in the water heater closet and hooked the hose to the spigot on the bottom of the old water heater using ductape to be sure it dont leak.
With all the water hooked up, I had to get lectric into the bugger. I cut the cord off an old lamp and hooked it to the wires on the heater. Then I plugged 3 extension cords together and plugged it into the little bulb screw in outlet thingie on the porch. Thats where we had our christmas lights plugged in from last christmas.
Everything seems ot be hooked up ok, but I didnt turn on the light switch or the water spigot yet. I got to be sure everything is safe, and my naybor said the water heater is supposed to be standing up, and taken out of the box. I left it in the box and its laying in the side, just the way they stuck it in the truck at home depo, cept I cut the top off the box.
Should I turn it on?
Redneck69
Official Member of the National Demo Derby Association

(snip)

Oh man, how can you be so-o-o-o-o-o stoopid??
Where is ya gonna plug in your Christmas lights?
--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:39:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@demoderby.com wrote:

Of course you should turn it on. Just get nekkid and you and the coon dog get up there in the truck with it . Pat it and rub it and whisper sweet nothings in the emergency pressure release valve and it'll get hotter than a fat girl picking blackberrys in July.
Steve B.
you guys want this guy to kill himself..... Make sure your you don't have your "lectrical" wires reversed.

Uh Oh...... I hooked the black wire on the heater to one of the brown wires on the lamp cord. Then I hooked the red wire on the water heater to the other brown wire on the lamp cord. Is that right?
Redneck69
Official Member of the National Demo Derby Association

I guess u know lectrical wires reversed get you cold water (and ice if you leave her on to long). Be kareful.

I was thinking about that, an decided that when I get my next food stamps, I will sell a couple of them so I can go buy one of those 3 way plug thingies. Christmas is right around the corner.
Redneck69
Official Member of the National Demo Derby Association
Snip tall tale.. : With all the water hooked up, I had to get lectric into the bugger. I : cut the cord off an old lamp and hooked it to the wires on the heater. : Then I plugged 3 extension cords together and plugged it into the : little bulb screw in outlet thingie on the porch. Thats where we had : our christmas lights plugged in from last christmas.
Here is where the OP slips up, no self-respecting redneck would have taken down the Xmas lights...
Rick