Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Reply to
Steve B

Wrong. Texas petitioned the US for statehood. Mexico didn't like it and went to war. When we won, the treaty they signed SOLD us New Mexico and parts west for something around $15 million, and we split off parts of then-Texas for inclusion in various other surrounding states.

Reply to
clifto

Some of them are downright arrogant about it. Many, many years ago I was knocking on a door with my TV service caddy in view. A neighbor came out and asked, "telEphono?" I said, "No, TELevision." She repeated her question and I repeated my answer. She repeated the process over and over until I said, "teleBIsion." As if she couldn't figure out what I was talking about, she maintained her ground until I used the Spanish pronunciation of the same damned word.

Reply to
clifto

I see history was not your strongest subject.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

AMEN

Reply to
JerryL

Great. A quote from one of the biggest sources of hot air in this past century.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In Illinois that money's wasted. The IDOT posts speeds so ridiculously that if you observe them you won't spill any of the liquid from the martini glass on your dashboard. There's not a place in Illinois where you can't exceed the "recommended" speed by 15 MPH without even making tire noise. A good driver in a good car should be able to do 70 MPH on a ramp marked 40 MPH here, barring potholes (which for some reason are fairly scarce on exit ramps around here).

But that's a different rant.

Reply to
clifto

Sounded pretty cool to me.

Reply to
clifto

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:6TTYf.84195$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

What's that got to do with anything? It is still public money that could go to better,LEGAL uses. (considering US immigrant citizens are supposed to have basic English skills)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

clifto wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@remote.clifto.com:

Of course,all vehicles on the road are NOT "good cars",many not even "cars",but trucks or motorcycles. Ever been on a ramp that gets tighter the further you get into the turn?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Moisés Nacio" wrote in news:aLVYf.81177$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

They probably "gained" it through Reagan's amnesty,that only fostered even MORE illegal immigration.Or thru being born to an illegal who birthed inside the US,making their child a citizen automatically;That scam has gotta change.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Steve B" wrote in news:hvXYf.11324$I%6.4902@fed1read12:

Wise words.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Teddy liked dogs and you don't....right?

Oren

I have to admit. Next to you, he's pretty weak as a source of hot air.

How is it that you're so smart, yet we have not yet seen you do anything newsworthy?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Certainly I have. But never one called simply "America".

Reading comprehension is not one of your strengths, I see.

No, they're not, as I said above. Re-read as necessary until you understand.

I said nothing of the sort, as anyone with normal skills at reading and comprehending written English will immediately recognize.

Oh, is that your explanation/excuse for your poor reading comprehension? Or is English not your first language?

Reply to
Doug Miller

T. Roosevelt dragged us into a war based on pretenses that were later proven to be false. If you think that's newsworthy and worth emulating, knock yourself out. I'll watch.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I was just wondering what you considered 'a bunch of money' was and if it is material, as you appeared to indicate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I believe that 'scam' is the law of the land. Check out the 14th amendment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sounds good, except in 1907 people of color couldn't use the same public toilet as white people, Irishmen could only get servant jobs, and women couldn't vote. Times change.

Reply to
Cue

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:Ta_Yf.81195$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

I know it's law;it's time to amend the Constitution to change that;that the child must be born to US citizens to have US citizenship.

At the time that amendment was written,we didn't have the problem of illegal immigrants sneaking into the US so their babies born here would give -them- US citizenship.

Reply to
Jim Yanik