Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

I suppose wages might go up, although the subsequent chain of events would be interesting, to say the least. I'm referring to the ripple effect in terms of food prices. People who don't allow for this possibility are usually those who think grocers have enormous profit margins and have plenty of room to absorb price swings.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Many large companies want to make all their customers feel comfortable in their place of business. The more comfortable they are the more they will buy, the more they buy the more people are needed to stock the shelves and assist the customers.

Here in Canada, we have stores that try to hire people from as many nationalities as possible to ensure that the customers feel comfortable and can get the assistance they need.

Whistler Mountain, classed as a world premier ski resort has always had multi-lingual signs for travellers. It only makes good business sense.

Just my two cents as a small business person.

Reply to
Glen

In article ,

Most do, some idiots don't. ALL of the Congressional debate, for instance, deals with illegal immigrants and what we should do about it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:C6BYf.84032$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Except that commmunication between people is an ESSENTIAL,if you want them to get along.

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS "accomodation". (and it costs a bunch of money) Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Sorry. This response is too sensible. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug Miller wrote: ..

Per the American Heritage Dictionary:

A·mer·i·can (.-mµr"¹-k.n) adj. Abbr. A., Amer. 1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture. 2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere. 3. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples. 4. Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals. --A·mer·i·can n. Abbr. A., Amer. 1. A native or inhabitant of America. 2. A citizen of the United States. --A·mer"i·can·ness n.

Do read #2

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Back in the 60's I worked for a US department store. They kept a list of employees with various language skills. Anytime we had a customer with communication problems we called a special number and they would send someone down. While I was there I had on French speaker and one Arab area customer, I don't think I ever figured out what specific language, but we provided service and made a good sale. That was one of the few times I handled $500 bills.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Population = 0

Reply to
Keith Williams

That is still a requirement for citizenship. I never had understood that...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My news reader threads just fine. Re your remark on sarcasm ... ever hear of net-lag.

Reply to
MikeP

Actually, yes. My stupid ISP calls it a "feature" of their news server, and claims customers can get around it by pre-heating their ovens and wearing green socks. Sorry about the criticism.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thousands of times a day is more than one.

Reply to
MikeP

Time for some stats, please. You know....links. Or, do you have spies in emergency rooms around the country?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A common language may help, but I have been able to get along with many people who don't speak a language I also speak. Frankly I don't get along with a lot of people who do speak English.

Got any idea how much that is as a % of out total taxes paid?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I can confirm it. I just got back from buying an air filter at Lowes and most of the larger permanent signs were in both languages. The font of the Spanish was about 30% of the size of the English however.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Probably about the same as we spend on yellow signs to warn idiots that it's a good idea to do 40 mph on a curved exit ramp, instead of 65 mph. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Alas, Grasshoppa. You have come up with one of the secrets of the universe. When men ignore laws selectively, that is, observing those they like and disregarding those they don't like, there is anarchy. Anarchy is not so much the absence of laws, but the presence of a situation in a society where each person can make their own laws, and not have to observe or honor any other law.

We are on the downhill side. If the Mayan and Hopi predictions of the ancients are true, the world will end in 2012. Live it up, people. Find your god, be it in money or in theology. Whether the end does come by cataclysm or internal decay, we are following EVERY great society in history. Decay from within, and not conquest from without.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

There's a difference between "earned" & "gain". Please note that I responded to "Not true. I earned my citizenship with no language requirement."

To earn your citizenship, is different than to gain citizenship.

Reply to
Moisés Nacio

You are on top of things. :-)

Reply to