Is this true about HD ????

Alas, Grasshoppa. You have come up with one of the secrets of the universe. When men ignore laws selectively, that is, observing those they like and disregarding those they don't like, there is anarchy. Anarchy is not so much the absence of laws, but the presence of a situation in a society where each person can make their own laws, and not have to observe or honor any other law.
We are on the downhill side. If the Mayan and Hopi predictions of the ancients are true, the world will end in 2012. Live it up, people. Find your god, be it in money or in theology. Whether the end does come by cataclysm or internal decay, we are following EVERY great society in history. Decay from within, and not conquest from without.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Actually, it's a requirement for *some* of the ways of achieving citizenship, but not for *all* of them.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Last I looked it was a requirement for gettting by going through the classes, etc. The way that ends up with some area big wig administering the oath of citizenship to a bunch of people in front of TV cameras on the 4th of july each year. The vast majority get it this way. Most of the other ways probably require English in real life (for instance serving in the military).
Jim Yanik wrote:

A common language may help, but I have been able to get along with many people who don't speak a language I also speak. Frankly I don't get along with a lot of people who do speak English.

Got any idea how much that is as a % of out total taxes paid?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Probably about the same as we spend on yellow signs to warn idiots that it's a good idea to do 40 mph on a curved exit ramp, instead of 65 mph. :)
Doug Kanter wrote:

In Illinois that money's wasted. The IDOT posts speeds so ridiculously that if you observe them you won't spill any of the liquid from the martini glass on your dashboard. There's not a place in Illinois where you can't exceed the "recommended" speed by 15 MPH without even making tire noise. A good driver in a good car should be able to do 70 MPH on a ramp marked 40 MPH here, barring potholes (which for some reason are fairly scarce on exit ramps around here).
But that's a different rant.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.

Of course,all vehicles on the road are NOT "good cars",many not even "cars",but trucks or motorcycles. Ever been on a ramp that gets tighter the further you get into the turn?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Other states manage to post speeds that aren't based on the lowest common denominator. I nearly killed myself and my family in Kentucky years ago, trying to do 50 on a ramp marked 35.

Yep. We have a fair number of those around here. They still underrate them.
I can't know what the motivations of the Illinois DOT are. But I can explain every single one of their idiot traffic munges by attributing to them the idea that the ideal speed for traffic is zero MPH, and that whatever they can do to approach that goal for all traffic is their idea of the best possible situation.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.

What's that got to do with anything? It is still public money that could go to better,LEGAL uses. (considering US immigrant citizens are supposed to have basic English skills)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I was just wondering what you considered 'a bunch of money' was and if it is material, as you appeared to indicate.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

While they were learning, did they have servants to venture out into the world for them to buy food, or did they find merchants who spoke their native language?

In those days, people with similar languages or that came from similar countries used to settle in certain areas so that you could always find someone that spoke your language. I remember as a kid going into stores and when the storekeeper starting speaking their native tongue to my mother, she would reply "Speak English or we will never learn how to".

Sadly, there are no Hispanic people like that. None. Absolutely none. Zip.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Spoken like a true bigot.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph, I was being sarcastic. Taking things to the absurd, if you will.
Doug Kanter wrote:

It's too bad that we live in a country where it is not obvious that you were being sarcastic. There are too many people who believe it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Left turn! Last week, NPR was interviewing people in Washington DC - protesters on both sides of the new immigration law issue. One guy was especially interesting - a construction worker originally from Mexico. He said (in perfect English) "I never finished school, but I still read a lot of history. From what I can figure out, NOBODY came here legally in the beginning!"
Doug Kanter wrote:

Maybe the ones who came 5 thousand years ago.
I wonder how many of those who are making the biggest fuss have ancestors who came over illegally.
" Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." (As long as they speak English) ...
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"

No, as long as they willing to LEARN to speak English. The Irish, Italians, and every other wave of immigrants did that as part of their assimilation to society.

Hopefully, this language thing concerned you just as much during the last election. :-)