Is this true about HD ????

Page 7 of 15

Not if they want citizenship and no other group of legal immigrants is let in without sponsors or someone willing to foot the bill for them until they get set-up.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Why should it be that way?
As I understand it, the very group you are talking about has a higher percentage of employment than US citizens.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

That's more of an indictment of the US school system's ability to give high grades to functional illiterates.

The exact opposite.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Because language is a Major unifying factor. And English is THE language of business and science.
It's F-ing RUDE to move to a new country to live and expect them to accomodate YOUR language instead of learning their language.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Religion is a unifying factor, do you also suggest that we should make religious requirements? How about what sports we like, that is also a unifying factor, let's outlaw rowing (too English).

I don't see that anyone is asking that you accommodate anyone. I suspect that most would prefer that you keep out of their business totally.
The question was about HD who put bilingual signs in their store. The only apparent reason was to increase their sales and profit. BTW I have seen it in many other stores.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"JosEnglish is THE language of business and science.

That's BS. There never has been one overriding religion that everyone needed to adhere to.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

And there has never been one overriding language that everyone needed to adhere to. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Kurt Ullman wrote:

To the best of my knowledge there has never been one language that everyone needed to adhere to.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I guess if we don't need one overriding religion to unify us, we sure don't need one language.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

You make a lot of ASSumptions.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I see no valid arguments to support any other conclusion.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

You're not very up on your religious history, are you?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

In the US? Find me one.

You've heard of Salem Mass, haven't you?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Yep. I reiterate... in the US. The witch trials were 1600, LONG before 1776. But nice try...

Your first query didn't specify the US.
Your second iteration didn't specify _when_.
There have been LOTS of times and places where it was "my religion or <die|move|...>".
The fact that the US hasn't institutionalized religious bigotry since 1776 to _quite_ that level [+], doesn't mean it gets a free ticket to institutionalized language bigotry instead.
After all, institutionalized _race_ bigotry is something that the US was quite good at, and in some sense still is. And is most of what's at the root of this nonsense about language.
[+] Depending on your terms of reference. The US is the most overtly "religious state" in the developed world.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

I suspect that in the area that was to become the US, that there were quite a number of other religions. I would guess that all Christian religions put together would not equal the number of native Americans who worshiped in other ways.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
In article <C6BYf.84032$g91.42414

Nice debate tactic.... When unable to defend your point, change the subject. What do religion and sports have to do with immigrants that fail to communicate in English.

Except that commmunication between people is an ESSENTIAL,if you want them to get along.

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS "accomodation". (and it costs a bunch of money) Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That is still a requirement for citizenship. I never had understood that...