Is this true about HD ????

Page 4 of 15
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:43:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Once again, you prove that you can be very dense when you really apply yourself. Calling a resident of Mexico an American, defines where he resides geographically. not his nationality. His nationality is Mexican. He's an American, as well. He is not a U.S. citizen just because he is an American. You have gotten used to the lazy speak shortcut of calling yourself an "American" when you mean to say you are a United States of America citizen. You are also an American, but it's due to geography, not what flag you salute. The United States is a subset of the landmass that makes up the continent.

Sorry, but I'm focused on THIS, and THIS ALONE:

"no to me"
It says what it says. He believes one's place on the continent is synonymous with their political and national characteristics. Then he says it doesn't. Then it does. Then it doesn't.
Discussion over. Have a nice day.
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:15:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

There was never a discussion on your part, stonewall. You are doggedly insisting on being ignorant, which merely graduates you to "stupid".

I'll be talking to people in Panama and Brazil this week. I'll let you know what they think of your stupid theory.
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:37:37 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

It's not a theory and it's not an opinion. It's a stone cold FACT.

The only thing that's a fact is the continents contain the word "America", and that the countries within can be called "the Americas", which they commonly are, in such places as web sites and airline route descriptions. But, to say the all the residents are "Americans" is simply to misuse a word.
A couple of years ago, a political cartoonist depicted George Bush saying "Inside every Iraqi is an American trying to get out". You probably think that's a good way to think about other nationalities.
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:55:24 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

You are incorrect, and I expect that you will remain so for the rest of your natural life.

Using "American" as a lazy substitute for "Citizen of the United States of America" is incorrect usage, regardless of how many times it is repeated. "American" does not denote any nationality. If you reside in the United States of America, you are an American by virtue of your location, not your nationality.
You are a very confused and angry person. Maybe try switching to the coffee in the green can as a start. :^O

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug Kanter wrote:

I have been in Mexico and when asked where I was from naively replied "America". I was told in no uncertain terms that the US did not own the word America and that they too were Americans. Then I realized how parochial and narrow minded I had been. I have not made that mistake since, thanks to my friends south of the border.
Doug Kanter wrote:

that should have been "not to me", I left the t off while typing in a hurry. The "no to me" was referring to your assertion that: ""American", which indicates nationality, political loyalties and certain ways of thinking."
My point is and was that American indicates where you were born, ie in the Americas and now thanks to Mr Meehan I know it also applies to West Indies. :)
JerryL wrote: ...

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only English should be spoken here?
BTW my "native" language would be Irish Gaelic, but frankly I don't know it well enough to speak it.

So what did they do before they learned English? Most Spanish speakers in the US are learning or already know English. However I see no reason to demand it. It should be their choice. I believe the US is known as the land of the free. That freedom I would guess should also include freedom of speech and I don't recall the freedom of speech being restricted to English.

I have seen signs in Russian and some Asian languages in the US.

That does sound hateful.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

This is America. Love it or leave it. If you love it, learn to speak at least conversational English within one year. If you can't, you are so stupid that you won't make a good citizen anyway. There is no reason for us to provide you with literature and signs in your native language. Especially for those of you who have been here for ten years, and still can't speak English.
Not hateful, just the facts, maam.
Steve
Immigrants whether illegal or legal have to realize that english IS the common language here. If they want to get ANYWHERE they need to speak it fluently. Otherwise they'll ALWAYS be illegal workers that'll eventually be a burden on the US TAX PAYER.
Business here is done in english, simple as that. Offering educations in various languages without priority given to english will screw lots of kids as they grow up. Its good that colleges dont have to obey the same crap public schools do.
I would love to see a Harvard professor have to translate a lesson to paco because he cant speak english! BAHAHA
Speak your native tounge at home with your siblings/elders. When out in public, talk the native language.

This is not very true for South Florida where Hispanics are in majority. One poster mentioned HD in Hialeah; they still can't speak English there, and they don't need to. There are stores with signs that say "We speak English" :)
It's been reported that Hispanics will become the majority in U.S. in not-so distant feature. It's going to be interesting to see if English is still going to be the dominant language then...

future

Its not just in SOUTH Florida,Central Florida is becoming heavily Hispanic,and it's becoming Balkanized.I've lived here 20 years and watched it happen.There are entire neighborhoods where people only speak Spanish,and if YOU don't,you get ostracised.

Only due to illegal immigration.

Only because we sat on our thumbs and allowed it to happen.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

This is not very true for South Florida where Hispanics are in majority. One poster mentioned HD in Hialeah; they still can't speak English there, and they don't need to. There are stores with signs that say "We speak English" :)
It's been reported that Hispanics will become the majority in U.S. in not-so distant feature. It's going to be interesting to see if English is still going to be the dominant language then...

I am 57 years old. I have heard story after story of people (mostly my father's generation) of kids that were punished for speaking anything but English. The parents would learn from their children bringing English into the homes. They wanted their children to be AMERICANS. Not HYPHEN-AMERICANS!
Steve
Steve B wrote:

My grandparents in Ireland were punished for not speaking English in schools in their own country. Was that just? Sound not the parents and the individual have the choice? Why do people feel that they must make the decision for others.
In real life, most all of the people in the US are going to learn English. But why do some people feel so threatened by those who don't that they want to force it on others?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Their lives suck, and they need to lash out at someone. Today, Mexicans. Yesterday, Jews, blacks, Germans, Irish, Italians, native Americans blah blah blah. It's pathetic.