Is this true about HD ????

Page 15 of 15
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I agree. And would like substitute 'home builders' for 'grocers' ... and 'housing prices' for 'food prices'.
says...

My family and I have been in the grocery biz for what seems like forever. Believe me - for basic items like vegetables, the margins are NOT what you'd probably guess.
In 1982 when I moved to Florida, my spouse decided that there was a store in Hialeah near Miami that had just what she needed. There was a Home Depot just across the way. I wanted to pick up some vents for the soffits in our new house. There was no one in that store who spoke enough English to tell me where they were.
Charlie

This really has become a hot issue, hasn't it. I am sympathetic to people who feel that laws ought to be enforced- even as I am dubious about the practicality of it- are the Solons in D.C. capable of passing anything that is realistic enough to be enforceable? Strongly doubt that. People are drawn here by market forces- legally and otherwise- and these incentives are not weak. Of course it could be disorienting to find nobody who speaks English at an HD- but this reflects the customer/ workforce market reality of that particular location. Hispanic immigration is of course a big wave compared to that from other areas, but these people do learn English- it is in their interest, as others have noted. They don't always do so immediately, but in 30 years they'll be complaining that their grankids can barely speak Spanish. Remember, the U.S. has been through this before- late 19/early 20 century. My best friend's Italian grandmother never did learn to speak English, like many of her generation. Her daughter was and granddaughter is a shoolteacher, and my friend an exceptionally literate if underemployed bookstore employee. I'm not against border control/ enforcement, but find myself preaching market economics to conservatives, who are all for effective governmental action. Actions which impact the market could have some effect on illegal immigration- for example, strong enforcement of wage and hour laws, reducing incentive for employers to hire illegals. Also, a high gas tax, which could be rebated to federal tax filers through some sort of credit, pushing us toward toward energy efficiency. Those who don't file obviously wouldn't get rebate. Well, I'm probably just stirring the coals with my "foolish liberal blather." In general, it has seemed to me as I've gotten older that hypocrisy makes the world go round; not the most uplifting thought, but it could be a lot worse. Helped Oskar Schindler save some Jews froim the Nazis. People imagine that if only we take such and such harsh, draconian actions, we will finally have an orderly, controlled world, and all will be hunky dory. I'm sure we could improve the situation- if we act with some wisdom, some firmness, some compassion, but it's always going to be a messy, disorderly world- thank god.
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:16:27 -0400, "Charlie Bress"

And if you drove to Liberty City, they speak Ebonics <sp>. In the early '80's English was voted as the official language in Dade County. That was with a 45% population of Hispanics.
Ever talk to a computer tech in New Delhi?
Charlie,
What a shame !!!! Glad it's not that way here in S.GA as I went to my HD today and a US flag was flying on the top middle of the building and I didn't really notice any Spanish on the signs inside. But speaking of your area of FL, I can't order sweet tea in the resturants there either!!
Charlie Bress wrote:

Maybe a different perspective would be helpful
Most of the Western US were taken by the US from Mexico by Force.
Maybe this is Montezuma's revenge: They are merely taking California and Mexico back with the power of the bedroom.
Mass-migrations of people are not stoppable. Let's welcome them back. In two generations they will all speak English and we will all be a little browner.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

How un-American. Killing native Americans, waging war to take lands, or making preemptive war to secure oil is not something you are suppose to talk about. It is not being a good American. At least it is not being a good American if you don't believe that we as citizens have a responsibility to be willing to question our government, not just accept it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Walter R. wrote:

Wrong. Texas petitioned the US for statehood. Mexico didn't like it and went to war. When we won, the treaty they signed SOLD us New Mexico and parts west for something around $15 million, and we split off parts of then-Texas for inclusion in various other surrounding states.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.

I see history was not your strongest subject.
Steve
clifto wrote:

Don't forget the Gasden purchase.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Gadsden. Right.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
clifto wrote:

Good catch! He's dead so it probably wouldn't offend him.
Many large companies want to make all their customers feel comfortable in their place of business. The more comfortable they are the more they will buy, the more they buy the more people are needed to stock the shelves and assist the customers.
Here in Canada, we have stores that try to hire people from as many nationalities as possible to ensure that the customers feel comfortable and can get the assistance they need.
Whistler Mountain, classed as a world premier ski resort has always had multi-lingual signs for travellers. It only makes good business sense.
Just my two cents as a small business person.

Sorry. This response is too sensible. :)
snipped-for-privacy@ExpressQuoteOnline.com wrote:

Back in the 60's I worked for a US department store. They kept a list of employees with various language skills. Anytime we had a customer with communication problems we called a special number and they would send someone down. While I was there I had on French speaker and one Arab area customer, I don't think I ever figured out what specific language, but we provided service and made a good sale. That was one of the few times I handled $500 bills.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joey wrote:

I can confirm it. I just got back from buying an air filter at Lowes and most of the larger permanent signs were in both languages. The font of the Spanish was about 30% of the size of the English however.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joey wrote: