Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:0ZZYf.5022$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

"LATER proven" to be false = armchair quarterbacking.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They are. A solider's child born in Germany is a U. S. citizen. Forget amending the Constitution.

Maybe Blackbeard, the pirate bred here before the War between the states. He didn't sneak around the coast, but plundered the opportunity...never considering citizenship.

Children born in the USA are documented. "If it ain't documented it didn't happen". Born on this soil or to a USA citizen on another soil gives you inherent rights.

Oren

Oren

I'll repeat since you need reinforcement. Not rolling in the mud with you!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I believe he is just barely old enough to be a full grown ass. Isn't this still spring break for many?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Don't forget the Gasden purchase.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Actually, it's a requirement for *some* of the ways of achieving citizenship, but not for *all* of them.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Just walk into an emergency room in the USA. There are notices posted in emergency rooms, concerning the emergency care must be provided. It does not matter if the facility is private or public, by law anyone that walks through the door will be evaluated and possibly treated by a doctor. In order to provide the level of care mandated by law, hospitals pay a premium for bilingual staff and translators. FWIW, in the past, my wife was 'on call' to sign for the hearing impaired. Does this make her a spy? :-) On top of the language issues, many of the non English speaking legal/illegal immigrants do not have the cash or insurance to pay for the care that must be provided ... you and I, the tax payers, end up footing their bill and our own.

Reply to
MikeP

"required" was not ridiculous and there will not be a sudden huge shortage of farm laborers. The crops that require hand labor would cost me more and my county hospital tax should go down. (do taxes ever go down?) And accustomed does not equal required.

My garden does require more hand labor than the acres of corn, cotton and grain grown within an hours drive.

Reply to
MikeP

Me too.

One of my beefs is, *some* emigrants make little effort to speak/learn English and believe that it is their

*right* that everyone else conduct business in their foreign language.
Reply to
MikeP

I agree. And would like substitute 'home builders' for 'grocers' ... and 'housing prices' for 'food prices'.

Reply to
MikeP

So every parent will need to prove that they are US citizens to have their child accepted as a US citizen. It's beginning to sound more and more like a police state.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The scam, at least to my mind, is that the parents get to stay because the kid is born here. The parents should be sent home, the kid can stay if that is their wish. The kid is welcome back any time but the parents can't jump the queue.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Last I looked it was a requirement for gettting by going through the classes, etc. The way that ends up with some area big wig administering the oath of citizenship to a bunch of people in front of TV cameras on the 4th of july each year. The vast majority get it this way. Most of the other ways probably require English in real life (for instance serving in the military).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

FWIW, the US in one of the few countries in the world that automatically confers citizenship merely by born on our soil. Many require you to be born of citizen parent(s) before citizenship is a given. Hardly makes them a police state.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Many English speaking patients don't have the cash or insurance either. Eight weeks ago, I didn't. We're going to need to see some stats to back up your claims that within the set of people without cash or insurance, the subset that doesn't speak English is a major one.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Do you know what I'm referring to, specifically?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I've got a better beef. Every presidential candidate should be vetted by a panel of, say, 12 high school teachers. If even one of them says "Who IS this asshole? Did he actually attend classes at any point after first grade?", the candidate is rejected.

Until that happens, I don't care what language anyone wants to speak when they come here.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yeah lets put the people who are making the US one of the least educated countries in the world and graduating a fair number of functional illiterates in charge of deciding who the pres. candidates should be. THAT is a good idea.. NOT.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Yeah...that would simplify everything. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Teachers are doing that??? Too simple.

Here - I think you'll enjoy this: