Is this true about HD ????

Page 11 of 15
Jim Yanik wrote:

The 14th was enacted to prevent states from denying citizenship to freed slaves and their families.

I believe it should be that the child must be born to someone who's legally in the US at the time of birth. There's no reason to deny citizenship to the babies who are legally born here.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:03:02 -0500, clifto wrote:

Not just legally in the US, but to someone with permanent resident status. *NO* other country grants citizenship to anyone who drops a kid within their borders.
--
Keith

Where do people pick up such BS?
Even the your next door neighbor to the north does just that:
Citizenship Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-29 Section 3(1)(a)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_citizenship
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Rush Limbaugh & Michael Savage. :-)

The scam, at least to my mind, is that the parents get to stay because the kid is born here. The parents should be sent home, the kid can stay if that is their wish. The kid is welcome back any time but the parents can't jump the queue.

Yeah...that would simplify everything. :-)

What part is complicated? The kid is a citizen and can stay if the parents want to abandon them (which sorta indicates that the kid was essentially a way to green card instead of a kid). The parents want to keep the kid, then they take the kid home with them.

I think you'd need to address the problems surrounding foster homes, and where in our always-flexible budget the money would come from when the need for that service triples.

So you are essentially saying that most people of Mexican origin get preggers solely to get a green card. Sorta racist outlook to me. Split the difference then. The kid has to go back, but retains citizenship for when M and/or Dad qualify for return or they hit 18. From my reading, that is essentially how many European countries do it.

No - I'm not saying anything about their reasons for coming here. I'm just responding to your suggestion, which, if it became reality, might create yet another layer of public assistance.

You are saying that most of the parents would leave their kids behind, otherwise there would be no increase in public assistance. But we would eliminate a layer of public assistance relative to that spent on the parents. 100% of the parents a most of the kids since most would take them back with them.

I guess. Maybe. Or, leave them with relatives. Who knows?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

1. What race is Mexican? 2. It's been documented for years that people DO come here to have their kids, both for the free care and for the kid citizenship.

I'm all for that. I'd say the kid could stay if the parents arranged for the foster home themselves and the kid didn't need welfare support.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:08:09 -0500, clifto wrote:

...and the parents can't be shipped out if they have an *American* child to take care of. ...even if they don't.

No, just get rid of the "born here" crap!
--
Keith

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Why?
Why must they be willing to learn English. Is it just because it makes you feel uncomfortable?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

What makes you think they _aren't_ willing to learn English?
Learning languages takes time.
They're just further back on the assimilation curve. Give them time.
Gee whiz guys, it's not as if the Irish, Italians and other waves of immigrants were able to instantly abandon their native language within days of arriving. They had stores they could go to and speak their own language, just as the latinos do now. They _still_ do.
On a per-capita basis, Canada takes in between 10 and 50 _times_ as many immigrants as the US does. 1 in five people in this country are immigrants - double the US rate. Accents abound.
Certainly, each wave or group has problems. But they go away.
_No_ big problems here.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
In article <wbBYf.79522$UZ5.76463

(As long as they are willing to become Americans and learn how to speak English)

And will do my laundry for vastly less than minimum wage.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Umm, "in the beginning" there were no immigration laws so it would be *impossible* for them to have come here illegally, "in the beginning".
--
Keith

Tell that to the natives, what's left of them.