Is this true about HD ????

Page 2 of 15

Nope. It's an easily verifiable fact for anyone who knows how to use a library.
Doug Kanter wrote:

there you go again, trying to redefine the word "American" to fit your US "political" definition. You are on the 'worldwide internet' where your parochial re definitions are not understood. America is a geographical description of the land masses of South and North America.

you are obviously being intentionally obtuse. The point was where you are from determines what you are called. If you are from America [ N or S] then you are American. If you are from the US and you want someone to know where you are from you would say " I am from the US". If you say I am an "American" [which is true,although imprecise] you could be from any number of countries in the Americas.     You stated it had something to do with politics, but it is a geographic identifier.
Let's start over. Earlier, I said this:
"There's a big difference between what's correct in terms of geography, and saying someone is "American", which indicates nationality, political loyalties and certain ways of thinking."
You responded by saying:
"no to me"
Go back. Do you understand the difference between a place on a map, and the political entities within those places?
Doug Kanter wrote:

the question is do you?

I think you may be eating too much tuna. The mercury's affecting your short term memory.
Doug Kanter wrote:

that's funny. coming from someone who thinks being born in the Americas means that person is NOT an American. But being in the political culture of the US is being an American!?
snipped-for-privacy@my.box says...

That's funny. Many of the high school students in San Antonio Texas who walked out of their classes this past week claim to be MEXICAN not AMERICAN.
Race, geography, politics ... the use/meanings of words change with context. That's why words in the dictionary have multiple definitions.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Whoops. Actually, mercury affects cognitive ability. But mercury was a good pick. Remember about rolling with pigs.
Spike2 wrote:

Apparently you confuse the names of countries and the names of continents. I suppose that you think a South African means anyone living south of the Sahara Desert. Ok, now I quit rolling with the pigs.

no I would call that person an African. get it yet? if you are born in Africa you are an African. That's not too hard for you to understand is it? Russia= Russian. Europe=European, America=American. Apparently you went to a govt school.
grabbitt wrote:

No, I went to geography class. South Africa is a country.
Lets see. Russian refers to a citizen or resident of a country. European refers to a resident of a continent, could be any of several different countries. American refers to a resident of a continent, but which one?.
By the way, what the hell is Gov't school? Most schools in the U.S.A. are public schools, is that what you mean by gov't school?
Another BTW, your first statement is in obvious error. Lots of people born in Africa were and remain, English, French, and German, all of which could be considered European. And of course, lots of people born in Africa of native parents or citizens of countries in Africa have moved to other continents and become citizens of other countries and would not be considered African. I'm not sure how you construct a more untrue statement.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

That's obvious, N or S; see that wasn't so hard, was it?

obviously
that's so convoluted I am as confused as you are now. A person born in Africa is a European? Govt School for sure.

And which immensely superior school do you believe you attended?
Doug Kanter wrote:

the school of hard knocks. ;)

It appears you've lost any traction you believed you had earlier in this discussion.
Doug Kanter wrote:

at least I had some!

Was there a fraternity there named "Steal Hubba Cappa"?
Spike2 wrote:

I'll repeat since you need reinforcement. Not rolling in the mud with you!

There is no continent called "America". Apparently, you didn't go to school at all.
You're also apparently unaware that there are several nations whose official names are "The United States of ...", of which the USA is only one. There are also the United States of Mexico, and the United States of Brazil -- and the citizens of the two are called "Mexicans" and "Brazilians" respectively. People who live in the United States of America are "Americans".
Get it now?
I'd love to listen to you trying to convince a Canadian that he's an "American". It would be even more entertaining to hear you trying to persuade him that he's wrong, when he tells you he isn't.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Well I talked to some young Canadians some years ago who could not seem to understand WHY Canada was not a part the USA!!! Ok, the French Canadians would NOT stand still for this not for one second. But the economies of Canada and the USA are so tightly bound, if we catch a cold, they come down with the flu. If they start to have real problems, we see the effects in the American economy.
This is the NAFTA argument. Reducing trade barriers between Canada/USA/Mexico opens up new opportunities, more jobs, EVERYWHERE.