Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent under the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly the American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this about HD ?

Joey

The store is in Juarez and its name is Casa Depoto.

Reply to
HeyBub

Now THAT's funny.

Reply to
thetiler

Around here all the stores have spanish signs under the english ones. Since most of the people who actually build the houses are latino, why would you expect anything else.

Reply to
gfretwell

yep...lowes is the same way...sometimes the spanish signs are more prominant that the english signs....

Look on a lot of products now...Ive seen major appliances heating and air equipment...everything from these major items down to a bar of soap with spanish on them.'

Fat lazy americans refused to do the work...mexicans came in and did the jobs for nothing....american fat cat businessmen love exploiting this cheap labor....

nothing our government does will stop the invasion of illegal mexicans in this country...and I dont think government really wants to stop the massive immigration....large farms and the construction industry have powerfull lobbyists too and you know they are greasing the palms of our elected officials to get these mexicans here.

Reply to
cornytheclown

Why do you think it has anything to do with illegal Mexicans. Home Depot wants to meet their customer's needs. If they have Spanish speaking customers, it only makes sense that they provide signs for them. How does that hurt you? More business, more volume lower prices benefit you. Do you think they are going to eliminate the English signs?

Relax.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and relatives. My parents, their families and millions of others came here many years ago. They had to learn the language and went to night schools to do so. They still spoke their native tongues at home but learned to read and write English and always spoke to the children in English. We have immigrants from many parts of the world. Why not have signs in their languages? We have Russian, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. Why do we pander to the Hispanics? Why do we have to pay for bilingual teachers to accomadate them when we can't afford to hire English speaking teachers to educate our children?

Reply to
JerryL

"Its"..."there"..."to"..."lean"....the irony is too rich to pass up in this post.

Reply to
Brian Attwood

Its bad enough those bastards are here illegally, and now we have to cater to them because there to f***in lazy to lean the language.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Amen. Isn't the internet a terrific place to show off your language/spelling skills?

Reply to
PanHandler

In 1982 when I moved to Florida, my spouse decided that there was a store in Hialeah near Miami that had just what she needed. There was a Home Depot just across the way. I wanted to pick up some vents for the soffits in our new house. There was no one in that store who spoke enough English to tell me where they were.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I can tell you have never been to Chinatown in NYC. Street signs there are bilingual.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

the Latinos that come here to the US are from "America". South America, Central America. They speak other languages. I agree English is spoken mostly in the US but we [US] don't own the word "America". We are all "Americans" [yes that includes Canadians] [soapbox mode off]

Reply to
grabbitt

JerryL wrote: ...

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only English should be spoken here?

BTW my "native" language would be Irish Gaelic, but frankly I don't know it well enough to speak it.

So what did they do before they learned English? Most Spanish speakers in the US are learning or already know English. However I see no reason to demand it. It should be their choice. I believe the US is known as the land of the free. That freedom I would guess should also include freedom of speech and I don't recall the freedom of speech being restricted to English.

I have seen signs in Russian and some Asian languages in the US.

That does sound hateful.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

At least it has been my experience that there are more US B* that foreign born ones. And they speak better than many US citizens.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is America. Love it or leave it. If you love it, learn to speak at least conversational English within one year. If you can't, you are so stupid that you won't make a good citizen anyway. There is no reason for us to provide you with literature and signs in your native language. Especially for those of you who have been here for ten years, and still can't speak English.

Not hateful, just the facts, maam.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Because if people don't speak AT LEAST English, then they have more problems getting around, communicating with people, etc. Heck even in China, they are teaching almost everyone English as it is the language of business and commerce. Don't have any problem with people speaking Esperanto if they want to amongst their friends, relatives, etc. But English is still the main language and for assimilation purposes, people need to speak it.

There are a number of studies showing that getting non-English speaking kids out of bilingual classes and into English only schools increases their grades, etc. Bilingual teaching is a method of ghettoization.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Immigrants whether illegal or legal have to realize that english IS the common language here. If they want to get ANYWHERE they need to speak it fluently. Otherwise they'll ALWAYS be illegal workers that'll eventually be a burden on the US TAX PAYER.

Business here is done in english, simple as that. Offering educations in various languages without priority given to english will screw lots of kids as they grow up. Its good that colleges dont have to obey the same crap public schools do.

I would love to see a Harvard professor have to translate a lesson to paco because he cant speak english! BAHAHA

Speak your native tounge at home with your siblings/elders. When out in public, talk the native language.

Reply to
BocesLib

This is not very true for South Florida where Hispanics are in majority. One poster mentioned HD in Hialeah; they still can't speak English there, and they don't need to. There are stores with signs that say "We speak English" :)

It's been reported that Hispanics will become the majority in U.S. in not-so distant feature. It's going to be interesting to see if English is still going to be the dominant language then...

Reply to
mistral9999