Is this the official clock changing day?

Call it the "redistribution of daylight".

Reply to
Oren

Is this the official clock changing day in the US now? November 2, 2008. Just checking......

I cant rely on my older computer anymore, which changed it last Sunday (or was it 2 weeks ago), and I had to change it back.

Leave it to the government to screw up everything, even time !!!!

Reply to
letterman

Try updating your operating system and the problem will be solved for you.

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

I have Windows ME ... can't get update for time. Changed in 2007.

Reply to
Norminn

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news:5r1sg4pgeqkh0uekdu85k8co7ukq2j0sqo@

4ax.com:

1st of the month. It's time to change HVAC filters and check smoke detectors.
Reply to
Red Green

Set the old filters on fire to test the smoke detectors. Good use of resources.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, remember it is "spring slide back, fall forward" Turn you clock ahead one hour.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm writing a program in PHP for my web page. Since this program can be used from anywhere, I really have to deal with this government-mandated mess (Daylight saving Time).

BTW, are people really so ****** they think the government controls TIME? They sure act like it.

At least Daylight saving Time is good for giving you a chance to get your clocks set right twice a year.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Daylight saving Time always reminds me of that story I read in school. Where a poor couple is getting ready for winter, and find their only blanket too short. They decide to sew some material on one end, but not being able to afford new material they use some cut off the other end, and wonder why the blanket is STILL too short.

BTW, you don't "redistribute daylight", you trick yourself into thinking that has happened.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You can fix the registry yourself, using something very similar to what I posted 18 months or so ago.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Don't forget the CO detectors.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Actually, I'd rather set it right. It's a good chance to correct any drift that happened in the last 6 months or so (Daylight saving Time needs to be good for SOMETHING).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

For PHP, it gets way more complex than that.....

Not all of the world changes Daylight Time when USA does, or even changes to/from Daylight at all. What is important is that the home computer and the local operating system does 'know' what the local time should be. This local time is some offset from Universal Time (Z-Time?) This info is stored in the long sting of data (time, date, year, offset, etc.) the local browser can query this from the OS. And the OS will adjust the computer clock as and when needed for daylight time, if it is permitted to do so.

But you knew that before hand anyway. That is standard "best practice" software coding.

Reply to
Phil Again

PHP runs on the server machine, so there would need some way to communicate that. I currently have the user specify what time zone to use.

Also, that OS (Unix) stores the time as a SINGLE value (a 32-bit number indicating the seconds from the beginning of 1970) and is UTC. This greatly simplifies time calculations, but there's still a few problems, like the 23- and 25-hour days.

Apparently the real clock is always UTC. The conversions are just temporary ones for display purposes.

I found a complete list of timezones PHP recognizes. The list contains about 570 names. BTW. most of Asia does not use DST.

And how is a server-side script supposed to know what time the client has? I suppose I could use a client-side script, but I don't want to complicate things for people who care about security (and have client-side scripts blocked).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

re: what I posted 18 months or so ago

Would that be 18 months or so DST or non DST?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I "cut" the board three times and it's still to short..

Started long ago:

"At the age of 78, in a moment of whimsey, Benjamin Franklin wrote An Economical Project, a discourse on the thrift of natural versus artificial lighting. He included several funny regulations that Paris might adopt to help. Over two centuries later, nations around the world use a variation of his concept to conserve energy and more fully enjoy the benefits of daylight."

Leave it to the French

Reply to
Oren

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:LwtPk.5080$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

My PC keeps setting the time wrong by two hours. Any hints Ed? :-)

Reply to
Red Green

_______________________ Don't worry. I'm planning to start a one-man campaign to END DAYLIGHT TIME as we know it - in America at least.

1 The energy saving component of it is moot, and besides, sunrises occur so late under DST. 2 The reasons for it and how it works are completely misunderstood by 99 percent of the people. IE: "It was for the farmers" - NOT! The farmers hated DST because it made the sun rise later(by the clock) and they couldn't tend their fields without waiting an hour. Also "It adds an hour of daylight" - NOT! DST SHIFTS(read: Delays) the times of ALL astronomical occurences by one hour, including sunrise & sunset, moonrise, moonset, and the appearances of meteors, comets, and other objects. 3 Finally, a sizeable percentage of the population still doesn't get whether to turn clocks ahead or set them back, respectively, at the beginnning and end of DST!

All I ask of you people is a few thousand good signatures. Your names and addresses will be protected and will never be sold or distributed. If enough people complain, congress will be forced to vote on the measure and DST as we know it could be repealed!!!

If people want more daylight, then they should GET THE HECK UP earlier to take advantage of it instead of leaving it up the government to MESS with our clocks!

In terms of total costs - health related, safety related, and labor related(programmers required to modify computer programs to adjust time when appropriate, and extra hours at watch/clock retailers to adjust the hands of all those timepieces) Daylight Saving Time actually costs the economy MORE than the value of the energy it has yet to be proven it saves!

Why do we play with our clocks/watches/etc twice a year? Beats the hell out of me! So joine me: Our taxes pay the goverenment's salary, so let's make them EARN IT!!!

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Your computer was built for the wrong time zone.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

_______________________ Don't worry. I'm planning to start a one-man campaign to END DAYLIGHT TIME as we know it - in America at least.

1 The energy saving component of it is moot, what with so much technology and equipment running 24/7, and besides, sunrises occur so late under DST. I=92m tired of having breakfast in the DARK for nearly half the year thanks to extended DST!! 2 The reasons for it and how it works are completely misunderstood by 99 percent of the people. IE: "It was for the farmers" - NOT! The farmers hated DST because it made the sun rise later(by the clock) and they couldn't tend their fields without waiting an hour. Also "It adds an hour of daylight" - NOT! DST SHIFTS(read: Delays) the apparent times of ALL astronomical occurrences by one hour, including sunrise & sunset, moonrise, moonset, and the appearances of meteors, comets, and other objects. 3 Finally, a sizeable percentage of the population still doesn't get whether to turn clocks ahead or set them back, respectively, at the beginning and end of DST!

All I ask of you people is a few thousand good signatures. Your names and addresses will be protected and will never be sold or distributed. If enough people complain, congress will be forced to vote on the measure and DST as we know it could be repealed!!! If people want more daylight, then they should GET THE HECK UP earlier to take advantage of it instead of leaving it up the government to MESS with our clocks!

In terms of total costs - health related, safety related, and labor related(programmers required to modify computer programs to adjust time when appropriate, and extra hours at watch/clock retailers to adjust the hands of all those timepieces) Daylight Saving Time actually costs the economy MORE than the value of the energy it has yet to be proven it saves!

Why do we play with our clocks/watches/etc twice a year? Beats the hell out of me! So join me: Our taxes pay the government's salary, so let's make them EARN IT!!!

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster