Is this power strip defective?

I just bought a power strip at Home Depot. It has six outlets on it. The instructions said "plug the cord from the power strip into any outlet, turn on the switch, and when the switch lights red, the device is ready to use."
Ok, so far so good. This sounded easy enough. I plugged the power strip's cord into the first outlet, flipped the switch and it did not light. I tried the second outlet and still no light. I finally plugged the cord into the last outlet, (the 6th one), and still no light. I decided that maybe I should try doing the same thing in reverse, so I unplugged it from the 6th outlet on the strip, plugged it back in, and flipped the switch. Still no light. I then went to the 5th, the 4th, and so on all the way back to the first outlet on the strip.
What the heck is wrong with this thing? Is it defective? How will I know for sure?
Blondie69
--------- My man is a Fire Fighter. When his boss fired him, he started a fight with the boss.
You have to have a special cord with a male plug on each end. Plug THAT cord into a wall outlet and then into the #6 spot on your strip. Then it'll light.

Only if you don't forget the middle step... lick the end before plugging into the #6 spot.
Stupid trolls.

snipped-for-privacy@u-guess.com wrote:
Pathetic troll.
<PLONK>
snipped-for-privacy@u-guess.com wrote:

Not even a good troll, but I <have> seen it in real life, in a rat's nest of cables under a row of classroom PC stations. (Back when they actually let me touch hardware.)
aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@u-guess.com wrote in

Go into Home Depot and look for the bin with the duplex outlets. Try it in all of them till it works. Buy that one use it at home.
Ya gotta think for yourself a little, man!
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:24:05 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@u-guess.com wrote:

You have gotten the Microsoft XP/Vista version. To use it, you will need to contact the manufacturer to "activate" it.

[snip sig with the WRONG sig separator line]