Is this for real?

You never said they were one shot costs, nor is that relevant.

Yes, but no one cares. The obvious issue is what does this cost when you sell hundreds of thousands or millions. From the website, that is the kind of market it's target for. Nobody cares what it costs to make 100 to 1000. Good grief.

Which is irrelevant, because we all know how that works and that similar devices are already available. What we have here is

*not* something that works on a single conductor.
Reply to
trader4

I thought they had finally come up with something I could use to salvage the out-of-focus pictures in my collection. Not yet, although it is an interesting device.

I didn't believe anyone could take a helicopter to the summit of Everest because the air was too thin to provide sufficient lift but damn if they didn't! (and even go higher)

I also didn't believe that there were ever any SIX star generals. Turns out that's wrong, too. This getting old really sucks.

Reply to
Robert Green

There is software that can do it, I don't know how well.

I just did a quick Google search and found this

But there is a lot more.

I never even heard about that. I do admit to being a skeptic though regrading human-powered flight...and was proven wrong.

I thought when Omar Bradley retired that was the end of all five star Generals.

Please let me know about the six star variety I never heard of that one.

Reply to
philo

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

The internet taught me a lot about looking things up before I post and still I get nailed:

You're thinking five stars - they're as common as turnips compared to six stars, aka General of the Armies. Even stumped my retired Army wife with this one!

Only one man has been appointed General of the Armies in his lifetime, and one other posthumously:

I'll leave it unwritten in case people want to guess (or cheat to look smart!). (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

single pair, not conductor

Reply to
RobertMacy

I don't remember seeing you post in a while John. Good to hear from you!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

If the effective length of cable section being scanned by the detector arrays is limited to just a few millimetres, I doubt the usual rates of twist in a typical power cord would add more than a 1% error.

Even so, if such a sophisticated bunch of sensor arrays are being used, it seems very likely that the twist rate can be determined and this information used to cancel out any such 'error'.

It seems to be, as I said before, an awful lot of trouble just avoid seperating out the hot conductor to take electric field (voltage) and magnetic field (current) sample data to calculate a wattage reading.

However, if this tech is real and based on 'de-weaponised' 'Spook' technology that's been released into the private sector, then why not?

Reply to
Johny B Good

What I said applies to a single pair. There is no commercially available meter that I'm aware of from the likes of Fluke that you can put around a two wire AC power cord and measure the power. And if it were possible to do, I would expect test meter companies would offer it. So, sorry, but I remain unconvinced, especially since absolutely nothing is said about how this new device, that isn't even available, works.

Reply to
trader4

Jumping back and forth. I thought you were talking about my technology and costs. I know hos to make such a device, but not much demandfor it. No, the utilities suppliers don't want it. Or, at least don't know they want it.

Regarding the device offered for sale, haven't seen the web page, info, picture, or anything about it, other than people's descriptions posting here. Couldn't say if it worked or not. I'm like you, I know it is possible [you do think it possible, right?], but unconvinced that what is offered will do it.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Good grief, the first post had the link to it.

Couldn't say if it worked or not. I'm like you, I know it is

I'm not so sure it's possible to make one that will work reliably with various sizes and construction of power cables, cords, etc. Eg, flat, vs round, are the conductors twisted, etc. I did a bit of googling and did find one company that has such a product, but then canned it. There is discussion here about it:

"A relatively recent development was a multi-conductor clamp meter with sev eral sensor coils around the jaws of the clamp. This could be clamped aroun d standard 2- or 3-conductor single-phase cables to provide a readout of th e current flowing through the load,[1] with no need to separate the conduct ors. It was claimed to be accurate with cables of certain specified types f or which it could be set, and usable but less accurate with others.[1] Howe ver, there were some comments that it did not give reliable readings,[2][3] and it was discontinued.[4]

Again, if you could make this kind of tester and it would work reliably on the cables, cords commonly seen, I would think it would be a very successful product for any of the real test eqpt companies. And if Megger couldn't get it to work in their tester, I have doubts about it working in a cheap consumer market product. And IDK of any test eqpt companies that offer one, do you?

Reply to
trader4

That's pretty efficient. What is your brand name for electric water heater? Can you give me more info?

Reply to
ObamaNocare

Furthermore, how do you separate water heater from cooking and drying clothes? Those are very high-power consumption.

a.. Money b.. Energy bills Energy bills rise by 37% in three years Gas and electricity prices are rising at up to eight times the rate of earnings, warns Citizens Advice

-Bob

Reply to
ObamaNocare

I want to hear about the college that teaches lower energy bills. Of course with the liberal agenda, they likely all do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try an Engineering school. last one I attended (looooong time back) was not a liberal school (sociality department excepted) by any measure.

Reply to
NotMe

If Engineering schools have all the answer why are we still not energy independant?

Why do we have hyper seller Elon Musk selling dangerous Lithium-ion batteries to CA homes?

Not me neither.

Reply to
ObamaNocare

I don't know if it is efficient or not, at this point there are just two of us in the house. If I can remember, I'll check the brand, I got it from Lowes.

I put a power meter on my water heater in 2008. Look on Ebay, they're cheap.

Reply to
amdx

Got a link? I didn't find anything that would work on a hard-wired water heater.

Cheapest water heater power meter is an electric clock across the element. You'll need a 240V clock or stepdown transformer or a relay or some such.

Another fun thing to do is to use a 25-cent Palm III PDA to watch the flashing light on the power company's digital meter. Graph the power consumption in real time. Pretty easy to see when the water heater comes on.

Reply to
mike

You can go to a place like Hialeah Meter and get recycled (zeroed) mechanical electric meters dirt cheap. Your PoCo might even give them away if you don't mind them having hours on them. I have one on my spa/pool panel and another one I can just hook up anywhere I am curious.

Reply to
gfretwell

Might be IF the politicians and capitalist could control their greed.

Risk is a cost benefit trade off. The solution to that particular problem is a better battery which requires R&D funding.

I had (pre Katrina a VW that was battery operated. Also had a get a way plav=ce in the NC mountains that was 100% off grid. So it can be done,

Reply to
NotMe

To the dumb lazy asses? Battery R&D is not cheap and not easy to tackle. We've been using the most reliable lead batteries for a century. Lithium ion has many negative effects.

The US loves to abuse our moneys, giving away to Israel to make sinful religious war.

Reply to
Eeyore