Is This DirecTv Dish Compatible with My Receiver?

Page 1 of 2
I am considering purchase of a DirecTv dish, described as follows on EBay:
NEW Direct TV HD TRIPLE LNB Satellite Dish DirecTV FTA
I currently have a SD DirecTv subscription and use one of the early RCA receivers.
Is there any reason why I could not substitute this dish for my current dish, which is an early single LNB model? I assume there is backward compatibility of this dish with my equipment, but just wanted to be sure.
Thanks very much for your help! Frank

Why would you want too? Are you planning on going with a HD rec soon?
frank1492 wrote:

It is probably compatible but you should consider that the current line of DirecTV dishes are 5-LNB slimline units and the older antennas won't work for their newest satellites which are being put into operation this month.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

frank1492 wrote:

Makes sense to me. Why would you want to have to go up the ladder again to place a dish when you inevitably upgrade at some point in the future? Considering the small difference in cost, I'd put up the better dish now and save myself the trouble later.
I think it's just a matter of time before TV is all high definition anyway. People used to talk about color TV the same way they talk about HD today... and look how that took off!
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Don't put the dish where you need a ladder to access it.
Mount the dish on a 6' pole anchored to the ground like a fence post. Or bolt to a deck railing. Easier to adjust, easier to remove snow, easier to take down.
The difference between 6' and 16' compared to 25,000 miles is insignificant.
HeyBub wrote:

Mine is on a post in the back yard, just as you've suggested. However, I've had to trim a hell of a lot of vegetation out of the way to keep a clear view of the bird. Had I mounted it up on the back of the house I probably wouldn't have had to do any of that.
One particular annoyance was losing the signal in the rain. Not rain fade, mind you... the water would weigh down branches and then they'd droop down in front of the dish. It wasn't always obvious which one was the offender and you had to go out in the rain to fix it. If you waited until it stopped raining then the branch would dry and spring back to its normal innocent position. A real PITA. I finally fixed it permanently by cutting the whole damned tree down. No more signal loss in all but the most torrential of downpours.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:21:51 -0400, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I've seen dishes installed looking /through/ roofs on houses with a high pitch roofs. Often wondered how bad the signal suffered during a downpour on these installs. Mine looks through a large tree about 100 yards away and I suffer signal loss during severe storms in the summer.
Why not switch to the Dish Network and get free equipment and installation?
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

The satellite to dish distance is insignificant. The height of this (dish-sat) line at the dish end isn't. That could make the difference between a good signal and no signal because of a tree in the way.

Mark Lloyd

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." --Benjamin Franklin
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:23:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
[snip]

That reminds me of why most scientists don't admit to being atheist. They need money from the ignorant masses.
&&&
WARNING: The following sig should not be read by the humor-impaired, such as religious fundamentalists.
-- Eat JEEZUS PLEEZERS: Tiny little bits of imitation meat on a stick resembling an ancient torture device.
" Eat JEEZUS PLEEZERS: Tiny little bits of imitation meat on a stick resembling an ancient torture device."
Maybe I would be offended if I knew what this meant!?
The stick is the cross used for crucifixion, but the tiny bits of imitation meat...why tiny bits? Are you referring to Communion or the Host? Does imitation mean it is not believable?
You need to dumb this down a bit for it to be insulting on a larger scale.
b_d
frank1492 wrote:

The 5-LNB antennas are used to access the two new satellites but I don't know if these are to be used for HD exclusively. One quirk is that the new antenna weighs at least twice what the old ones did and presents a lot more wind load than the old ones because of their greater area. And to top it off DirecTV won't just let you have an antenna to install yourself as they did with the old ones -- they send out a technician for a no-fee install. There is a big backlog, at least in my area, and the closest appointment I could get was 45+ days from the request.
As chance would have it my installation call was this morning and it took the tech at least two hours to get the antenna in with the larger mount and bracing. I had installed a pair of new cables myself when I bought the new HD DVR receiver so that didn't come into it. The technician did have quite a time getting a good aim on the antenna. His default aiming settings resulted in a really good signal on the 101 satellite which is used for setup but as he was "fine tuning" the aim the antenna flopped because he didn't have the elevation and azimuth (and maybe rotation) bolts tight enough and it took a long time to get back to where he was. But it was probably worth it for the new HD standard-package channels.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
John McGaw wrote:

You mean like this one? http://bestwaysatellite.com/inc/sdetail/12966 .
"Multi-Satellite Directv 5-LNB Dish For HDTV Including KA Band for locals in HD. - $99.95"
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

IIRC, according to the Lyngsat site the only non-HD channels using the new sats are locals for Alaska and Hawaii.

BTW, maybe you know the dish itself isn't an antenna but a reflector. The actual antennas are little things located in the LNBs.

Mark Lloyd
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 01:52:28 +0000, frank1492 wrote:

Call someone who installs DTV HD and ask them to be sure but I would assume there is backwards compatibility from at least one of the LNB's. I've been a DTV customer since 2000 btw. Also i have a friend who dabbled with installing a DTV HD unit and he had one hell of a time setting the dish up. You may consider getting a pro to install it if all possible.
Meat Plow wrote:

There is no self install anymore. All of the equipment is owned by them. You buy the service and they send someone over with the equipment and to set it up.
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:31:55 -0400, George wrote:

You can go to Best Buy or any other chain store offering DTV and purchase DTV components and install them yourself.. Or you can order new service and not pay for anything.
Meat Plow wrote:

My error, you can getjust a few items such as a replacement receiver. The new install systems and all of the dishes etc are all factory install only.