Is this Benchgrinder ready for the trash??

I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder. I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on. As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty. I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else. When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper windings had burned through. IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field. And if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right? I has been to long since I've messed with electric motors and i can't remember. It would also be impossible to match and soldier the burnt wires.
So, trash it or try something else? I know they are not that expensive new, but it is still hard to beat free.
Thanks
Ron

It's done. Salvage the wheels and keep the special left hand thread nut, the rest is pretty much junk.
nate

Not true. motor windings often are multi-strand. if you parallel many tiny strands,they can carry as much current as a single thicker strand that is harder to wind around the core. (and results in more copper in the same space)

well,you could try to get the motor rewound,but that would probably cost more than a new grinder.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Unless you need as boaat anchor, alvasge the wheels as someone suggested and trash the rest. If you do save the left-hand-threaded nut, mark it so that you don't go crazy at some time in the future when you try to use it.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:40:22 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

They usually have little notches around them to indicate reverse threads.
Thanks for the response. I thought it was toast but wanted to make sure.
Thanks again Ron

To make sure, hook it up and run it. If you survive, that should tell you a lot. With machinery, there is a lot of "run until failure" modes.
Steve
It didn't work, thus my seeking answers here.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:44:10 -0800, "Steve B"

remove the copper its worth about 3 bucks a pound