Is this baby snake coiled up outside a gopher snake or a rattler?

Page 2 of 3

Yes... I met my first set of rattlesnakes in the eastern foothills of OC in the 60's. I know exactly what they look like and I have no desire to "visit" them up close in the real world.

You're an idiot.

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:04:48 -0700, Guv Bob wrote:

Why?

No offense, Danny. The first thing I thought of when you said you were going to turn it loose was your grandchildren - or any other people, dogs, etc., who happen to walk upon that snake or its offspring wherever you drop it off. A neighbor's son got bite by a rattlesnake and nearly died.
I'm the last one to kill anything. I typically grab spiders and toss the outside rather than swat them. Live and let live is good, but this one is not worth the risk.
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 21:17:15 -0700, Guv Bob wrote:

I find western black widow spiders outside all the time. If you asked me to, I could snap a picture at will, in daylight, of one, as they are *that* numerous out here.
And, their venom is reportedly 15x stronger than a rattlesnakes! (http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/black-widow-spider )
Still ...
If I killed every one I found, I wouldn't, statistically, make a dent in their numbers in my yard alone.
Birds, lizards, other spiders, even wasp predation has a greater impact than anything my puny efforts could accomplish.
So, I don't kill them when I see them. I consider them part of the "family".
But, I do warn the grandkids to stay away from those particular family members. There's always one in every family ...

Good intentions, but kids forget quickly or don't believe they will get bit. People are always stepping on snakes that are hard to see against the leaves, etc. I was walking thru the woods with a friend in front and he stepped right over a copperhead without noticing. He could have just as easily stepped on it and gotten bit.

How about this?
http://bit.ly/11bMMxc & this http://bit.ly/11bMSVw
If you cannot instantly & accurately see the difference.... stay away, far away.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_baby_rattlesnake_bite_more_dangerous_than_an _adult http://lomalindahealth.org/medical-center/our-services/emergency/programs-a nd-divisions/venom-er/resources/when-snakes-strike.page
This is nothing to fool around with..... unless you're interested in a very painful and potentially permanently disabling injury with ongoing effects. The good news... death is unlikely but still a rattlesnake bite is not something you want to experience.
I met a guy who suffered a snake bit and permanently lost a substantial amount of muscle in either the arm or leg that was bitten. Google "lawyer bitten by snake put in mailbox"... there are YouTube interviews with him, ~30 years later he's a physical wreck.
What's that saying about someone / something watches over fools & ???
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 16:05:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Wow. And he lived over 100 years!

    Bloody cannibal ....     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 20:56:26 +0000, Danny D wrote:

I think it was a "northern pacific rattlesnake" since that's the key rattler common to the Santa Cruz mountains.
It's apparently not pretty getting bitten by one: http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

It's apparently not pretty getting bitten by one: http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm
Did you think I was joking? And you still want to play around with one?
Can you even imagine the pain, inconvenience & cost of such an injury?
On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:03:40 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

Just to be clear, I have no intention of 'playing' with a rattler. My only goal was to identify it, capture it, and relocate it. Safely.

You & I have vastly different definations of "play around"
I'm meaning unnecessary proximity... high risk / low reward.
Take another look at the injury photos, couple that with probability of getting bit and circumstances / behaviors that lead to bites.
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 23:39:18 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

Given the snake existed, essentially on the front steps: What would your proposal have been?
a. Would you propose I simply leave it on my front steps? b. Or I shoo it away onto the front lawn? c. Or, maybe I chop the head off with a shovel? d. Or perhaps I call the snake-be-gone guy to remove it? e. Or that I capture it & relocate it?
Note: To be fair, I went back to all your posts in this thread, to double check what you had suggested - and you did suggest being careful - and you were one of the first to confirm the viper status; and, you did provide that nice relocation URL of Dr. Steen who has had a few conversations with me, and who asked for the photo and who published it and answered some of my questions both online and by phone.
Given all that, and given the snake existed, I'm not exactly sure what *you* would have done had that snake been on your porch other than you wouldn't "unnecessarily play around with it".
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:18:51 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I think the snake would get one chance to get into a bucket or trash can laid on it's side (to get relocated). If it got a little cranky I would give it a few loads of rat shot.
On Jun 5, 9:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1

Just pick it up and bite it's head off. Be a man. Post a photo of it's head in you mouth.
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 16:37:21 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

Ya see DADD..... the details come out is dribs & drabs. You're on scene, you have access to all the details available at any point in time.
The NG readers must depend on you for information hence the propensity for some to claim "hiding the football".
Based on your previous displays of "problem solving" .... this current episode looked like the initial conditions for a major disaster.

As much as I prefer not to harm wildlife .....sounds like the suggestions for snake shot were more applicable than I'd first thought.
On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:26:56 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I understand. I'm no expert in snake relocation; but, the good news is that I can learn, and, that I have learned.
First off, from the pictures you referenced, it can be an extremely painful and expensive ($700K) experience getting bitten in the hand (as that young boy's story showed that you pointed me to).
Also, you seemed to know right away that it was a rattler, although at first, I wasn't at all sure (especially since I had caught a gopher snake of similar colors in essentially the same spot last year).
Thirdly, I had none of the right equipment for handling snakes (other than a lot of secure-topped plastic buckets and MIG-welding gloves).
And certainly I don't have the experience of the snake catcher who called me yesterday, and who gave me advice for relocating the next one.
In addition, I had not learned the relocation advice which you had pointed me to (Dr. David Steen) with whom I've had multiple conversations over the past few days in terms of improving the chances of a successful long-term relocation.
There are more lessons learned; which is the beauty, after all, of learning from you more experienced guys.
As a side note, the snake-be-gone guy only charges $75 to remove a snake; and he tries to relocate them within 500 yards in similar terrain; and for $150 he does a snake inspection tour of the property.
My only wonder is how a snake sits and waits for the guy to arrive because it has to take him time to get there - and - in my experience, the snake isn't going to sit there exposed that whole time.