Is this a pump?

Just bought a house that has this inside the garage:

It seems to be connected to pipes that leads to the sprinker system. When I turn on the valve however nothing happens so this is broken...I think.

Any idea where I can buy a replacement?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

It's a pump. Get the specs off the name plate and call Graingers

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
Jimi

That looks to me like a standard jet pump for a shallow well. Is there a well on the property? It might be used for only sprinkling purposes. Check where the wire enters to see if there is power (with a test meter).

Those pipes that go into the wall would likely go to the well. Look for a well on that side of the house, and likely straight out from that location. They are not always straight outside, but more often than not they are !

Is there a storage tank connected to it? I cant see from the photo? Wells usually have them. It looks to me that the BX cable or Greenfield as it's called, (spiral stuff), connects to some 1/2" EMT (conduit pipe). Trace that conduit back to the source. They may have intentionally abandoned the well, and disconnected the wire in the main box or elsewhere. If you are on city water, you might be wise to get this thing running to save on the water bill. Of course that would be for yard watering, not drinking, unless you get it tested and find it is safe.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

While you're at it, replace that vinyl dryer vent hose with metal.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

imho:

Might just save time to first figure if you want to fix it, and get a professional walk you through the startup steps. Just a guess.

One thing in the photo you might want to look at, is that plastic exhaust hose. Is that for a dryer?

tom @

LayPerson Tom

Long Shot but any chance you have sprinklers on the Roof in case of fire. They do that in some wooded areas Any way it would no be to hard to find a replacement pump, I doubt an exact fit it looks pretty old to waste time fixing.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I looked at the picture again If you do replace it I would mount the new one right on the concrete, use at least four anchors and a Flex connection on the supply and return lines.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Yes it is a dryer vent from the utility room next door was routed through the plaster wall and ran along the bottom of the garage floor and eventually vented outside.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

haha that is project #74.

I am on project #1 now...

Reply to
MiamiCuse

There does not appear to be a well. I looked outside.

But there are fittings and timers etc... outside and I will take a picture of that and post it tomorrow.

I do not see a well, except on the other side of the house all the way across there is a piece of round stone 30" in diameter covering the middle of the yard. I did not try to open it but from the look of it I think there is a higher chance it is a cover for a septic tank that has since been abandoned.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Watch and be carfull not to start this pump without priming it first or you will ruin the shaft seal! the hose bib on top is the way you prime it.

Reply to
Saxman

Make sure first that it is broken, and even if it is, it might take only ten minutus to fix. I forget if you are in a position to ask the previous owner about it, like when the last time he used it was, and if he thought it was broken. I know this pump wasn't a deal breaker, and the seller must know you are only getting info, not trying to sue him. :)

Reply to
mm

That's a big fire hazzard. I'd move that to project NOW!! Put metal pipe on dryer exhaust.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Its a sprinkler pump not a jet pump no tank runs full time High head ,self priming may be hooked up to a auto timer or a switch to start I would of thought the valve would be on the other side of the union

The vinyl dryer vent hose move it up on the list or don't use the dryer

Spud

Reply to
user

AGREED!

imho:

Glad the photo was posted, so we could see it. I've been told go with the heavier gauge corrugated piping, so you can take it apart and clean it out.

Even a pvc pipe would offer better fire protection than that vinyl tube with areas to trap lint.

Good luck,

tom @

LayPerson Tom

Thanks. I will get to it sooner, definitely before I use the dryer.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I dont know why they sell those peices of crap. It's bad enough they are flammable, but then they tend to trap clumps of lint because of all the ridges in them. They should be banned !!!!

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

That cement covered thing could easily be an old hand dug well. It could be a septic too. Look for a sewer pipe on that side of the house. Is there one? (Either abandoned, or presently in use but diverted elsewhere). Till you open it, it's hard to say, but if there is no sewer pipe going in that direction, it's unlikely a septic. (Could be a patched hole in the wall too).

I'll wait for the pictures.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Shouldn't ban them, they aren't unsafe, people are. ;)

j/k

tom

Reply to
LayPerson Tom