Is this a good quote on Carrie 3-ton?

I originall posted this on alt.hvac, sheesh, what a bunch of jerks, lol. A few mature responses, but....man...what's up with that group. Oh well. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Hi All:
I am getting ready to make a decision on a new home A/C unit. I am replacing a system that is about 17 year old. I live in Tampa, FL, and I run the A/C constantly. I was hoping to get some feed back on the quote below and possibly some guidance as to which system will be the best "value".
Also, my current duct work is from an old heating furnace, and I was wondering if the cost to replace the duct work sounded reasonable. Thanks in advance.
Option #1 CARRIER 3-Ton 2 Speed Infinity heat pump using Puron (the new environmentally sound refrigerant). Model YDB with variable speed air handler, model FE and Infinity Control (self-diagnostic programmable thermostat with both temperature and humidity control). The system is 15.0 SEER. The Florida 5 Star warranty is 10 years all parts and labor. The total cost for installation is $5,998.00 and reflects a $1200.00 instant rebate from Carrier.
Option #2 CARRIER 3-Ton heat pump, using Puron (the new environmentally sound refrigerant). Model YXA with variable speed air handler model FV and Thermidistat (programmable thermostat with both temperature and humidity control). The system is 14.0 SEER. The Florida 5 Star warranty is 10 years all parts and labor. The total cost for installation is $5,357.00 and reflects a $450.00 instant rebate from Carrier.
Option #3 CARRIER 3-Ton heat pump, using Puron (the new environmentally sound refrigerant). Model YZA with variable speed air handler model FV and Thermidistat (programmable thermostat with both temperature and humidity control). The system is 13.0 SEER. The Florida 5 Star warranty is 10 years all parts and labor. The total cost for installation is $5,091.00 and reflects a $450.00 instant rebate from Carrier.
* All options include: * All material, labor, permit and sales tax necessary to complete the installation. * Remove and dispose of existing equipment and thermostat. * Install new refrigerant and condensate drain lines with new pump. * Install selected heat pump system and digital thermostat. * $100.00 rebate from Tampa Electric Company. * Check, Test, Balance and Start-up the system per factory specifications. * Eligible for 12-month interest free financing.
* Recommended Ductwork replacement: Remove and dispose of all existing ductwork, boots and grilles. Design and install new R-6 ductwork system incorporating dampers for airflow balance. All ductwork, supply and return grilles will be replaced. The total cost for the installation is $3,125.00.
CARRIER rebates effective through 10/31/2005
On 17 Oct 2005 10:29:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just curious, but why do you only have prices for carrier? I would suggest you look at Trane and American Standard ( part of Trane). In my opinion, Carrier is junk and I do this for a living.
Thanks Al,
I am having them quote me some other manufactures also, after reading this board. The guy who owns the company I am having do the work is an old Pal of mine from little league days, and he has built a very large business here, and I trust him, but I just sent him a note asking about other manufactures as he does deal in other brands as well. I think the main reason was the rebates they have going on throught the end of October. He has dealt with other locals I still keep in touch with and his company and he personally have a good reputation.
If I can ask, what is it in your experience that causes the Carrier's to be junk vs the Trane? Trying to educate myself to ask better questions. Thank you.
On 17 Oct 2005 11:41:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Carriers don't seem to be very well made. Out of all the units i fixed over the summer, the majority were carrier ar some variant, ie; bryant payne etc. I only worked on 4 Tranes and 1 American Standard. Always good to go with someone you trust. And fwiw, I'd have he duct work swaped out too.
Thank you Al,
After the crap and vulgarity I got over the posting at alt.hvac, I really appreciate your input. Thank you again.
No offense Al, but I could say Trane's are over-priced crap. I know it's your opinion, but I don't think you are being fair to Carrier.
I see absolutely no difference in Carrier and Trane reliability. Trane DOES have a much nicer cabinet and LOOKS better. Other than that, I would say they were about the same EXCEPT you WILL pay more for a Trane.
I install both, BTW.

Yeah, some of them are jerks. Something about being a pro only group. Right. On usenet, a private, non-moderated group.

Before I comment further, I really can't tell you if a price is good, unless you are in my area and Florida isn't. A lot of that has to do with the COL, shipping prices, etc. YOU are the only one that can say wether a price is good.

Heat only? In Florida?

Okay.
Okay.
Okay, look at the bang for the buck. You can get a 15 SEER heat pump for a few dollars more than a lower SEER. Think of the energy you'll be saving. The power company might come out and check their meter to see if it's working right.

Hard Pipe or Flex?

I'm not a big Carrier fan. On the other hand, I'm not a trane or Lennox fan either. Those three companies cost you, the buyer more than York or Rheem/Ruud.
It's your system.
Thanks Heatman.
The current duct work was in the house when we bought it, so maybe I am using the wrong terminology, but I'm 99% sure he said oil furnace. Could be my bad.
Not sure on your question about hard pipe or flex, but will ask. What are the beneifts/drawbacks of each. Is one inherently better than the other, for a Florida Install?
Agree on the energy savings, don't want to be pound wise and penny foolish, so I'm very much leaning towards the 15 SEER, as I keep the house pretty cool so the A/C runs like 90% of the time in the summer.
HeatMan wrote:

On 17 Oct 2005 17:05:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the existing duct work was for a system that had heat only, no ac, then more likely than not the ducts are undersized. This is because in the heat mode a system has aprox 400 to 450 cfm of airflow at the return duct. If it has ac on it the cfm will be more. Also ,iirc, a heat pump uses more airflow than a standard gas fired furnace. As for the ducts themselves, if you can afford it, go with hardpipe. This ducting is way more durable than flex duct. Flex duct is especially susceptable to getting torn up by rodents.
Thanks Again Al,
Really Appreciate all the good info
If you can get the Infinity System for that price, GO FOR IT!!!

Got a 5 Ton 12 SEER heat pump 3 years ago I.C.P. 4500.00 Clearwater FL