is there such a thing?

Page 1 of 2

Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month. I know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol) Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If you run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Why not use a day timer and set it for the minimum on time? That should be fine.
On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:33:24 -0600, Jim wrote:

So leaving the batteries hooked up to the charger will harm them? Do you have some documentation saying this? This isn't the case for my Hitachi drill or my Black and decker Weed Hog trimmer. Most NiMH/NiCAD chargers are somewhat more smart than just a wall wart. If you haven't read about charging these I suggest you do so. I'm in my mid 50's and the 70's were REAL good to me also :) but evidently I didn't fry enough brain cells to affect my short term memory.

I didn't say leaving batteries on a charger will harm them nor would I want to look for any documentation on that...I just don't want to leave the charger on is the reason why I am asking ......Jim
On Tue, 25 May 2010 13:23:28 -0600, Jim wrote:

I see. Are you trying to save a few watts of electricity, afraid the chargers will catch fire, trying to extend the life of the charges, all of the above or have some other logical reason that you want the charges off immediately after use? You have a computer obviously. There are free programs that can remind you of certain events that you could set up to remind you to turn the chargers off. Can you have a neighbor remind you? A relative? Friend? Hell gimme your phone number and I'll call you and remind you.

Why in hell are you so curious as to WHY I want to do what I want to do?... It was a simple question that obviously you have no answer to and have contributed NOTHING!....so why not just shut the hell up?.. Are you truly drunk when you drivel on like this? Jim

Because often times the WHY is very relevant. It's often based on some old wives' tale, or irrational paranoid delusions.
If you have some practical technical reason then it might be worth our time to spend some time helping you find your answer. However, if you're just another net.kook who can't be convinced that he doesn't really need to wear that tinfoil hat, then there's no sense in wasting any more time on you.
Frankly, I'm starting to lean towards the latter choice.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

But a lot of cheap ones *are* just wall worts and it will ruin them to leave them charging 24/7. I put the 2 cheapo's I have on a timer to slow charge them for 15 minutes a day. It works very well.

Decent chargers won't overcharge batteries but if this is cheap crap, you could just put them on a timer and charge them an hour a day. Your bigger worry is storing the batteries outside in the shed. Depending on where you live, that'll cook 'em just as sure as overcharging will.

There are plenty of 7 day timers, why not just do them an hour or two, once a week?
Jim wrote:

Just get a mechanical twist timer. As you walk by once in a while, give it a twist. The chargers will run for an hour or whatever you set it to, then turn off. You can probably get one that will go up to 24 hours if you need.
You could use a sprinkler timer switching a relay to the power.
Bob F wrote:

Ooh! Good idea!

That's just replacing the burden of remembering one thing with remembering something else. His problem is remembering, period. Net gain, ZERO.
Here is a solution:
Hook any old daily timer to a MECHANICAL 7-day timers in series. Program the daily to run 6 hours a day. Program the 7-day timer to run one hour a week.
End result will be one hour of power every 4 weeks.

There are wall switches with a weekly timer. You can have it turn on an outlet for 10 minutes a week.
You can also use standard mechanical timers. Have it turn on for one hour every 24 hours and when it is on have it power another such timer that will turn on for one hour of every 24 hours of elapsed time, and run the charger off of that.
So the first timer will run all the time, and the second timer will take 24 days to cover 24 hours. So the charger will be on one hour every 24 days.
mm wrote:

That sounds like a sensible (and cheap) solution.
On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:07:00 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Thanks. I thought about this some more and though I was right, it will be on one hour every 24 days, the hour will probably be split over two consecutive days. Like 25 minutes one day and 35 the next.
Probably won't matter when charging a battery but might in some ways if one is taking time lapse photography or something.
Jim wrote:

A bunch of timers here: http://tinyurl.com/28zfyee I didn't try to sort through them. The link is to Allied Electronics. I don't think they sell retail but at least you'll get an idea if what you want is available.

I have bought from Allied. Called them and person found what I wanted so I could order. WW

WOW!...now THAT was VERY helpfull Thank you very much Dean!...totally makes sense....problem SOLVED!....right on!... Jim

There are plenty of timers that you can schedule for a week, choosing the days you want it to go on. Use one of those and have it come on for a half hour a week instead of 2 hours a month. http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku 64515