Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

Page 3 of 5
On 09/25/2016 03:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Single DIN is 2 1/8 x 7 1/8" (50 x 180 mm). Double is twice as high. 1.5 is an OEM screwing with you to make mounting a after market radio a pain in the ass but usually there are dash kits that work. For your edification, DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Institut_f%C3%BCr_Normung
http://www.metraonline.com/products
Metra is the big player in dash kits and harnesses. You may also want to get an into car or into radio harness to match the existing connectors or you can just solder the wires together if you have a wiring diagram for the car and radio. At least you have had the radio out. That can be an interesting project in newer cars where you need to peel the dash to even get to the damn thing, hopefully without breaking any tabs so you can put it all back together.

Five bucks up. You can get battery powered speakers too.

I'm sure you could look up the actual dimensions of DIN on Google, but it really doesn't matter. Any single DIN sized stereo is going to fit in a single DIN sized opening. Same with double DIN stereos. That's the beauty of a standard size.
It's like you can buy "letter", "legal", or A4 sized paper without knowing the actual dimensions and know that it will fit in your printer.
The only variable that WILL be important is the depth. In other words, how much space you have from the front of the faceplate to the back of the dash. Obviously a stereo that is too deep is not going to fit in a shallow opening.
Thankfully, most modern stereos are shallower than older stereos. If you're buying used, you could easily ask them for the depth measurement if they don't include it in their ad. It doesn't have to be exact, you'll want some extra space in back for wiring and whatnot anyway.

It might add $30-40 to the overall price at most.

Walmart would not be my first choice for stereo shopping. Try an actual car stereo store, or look online at places like Crutchfield, Amazon, etc. You can certainly find a nice car stereo for less than $200 if you don't need all the fancy bells and whistles.

I'm sure your factory radio still works fine. It's a matter of how much time you spend in the vehicle and if it would make your drive more pleasant. A couple hundred dollars is a small price to pay for a more enjoyable daily commute.
If it's an old farm truck that only gets driven once a month, it may not be worth the trouble.

There are more portable devices than you can imagine! :)
Last year I picked up one of these Bluetooth speakers for about $30:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Speaker-speakers-Microphone- Including/dp/B012B56898/ref=sr_1_4
I don't use the bluetooth feature, but I inserted a microSD card filled with hundreds of MP3 files. Despite it's tiny size the sound quality is quite impressive, and it runs a very long time on the rechargeable battery. It can even act as a power bank to charge other USB devices like your smart phone.
That's just one example, there are many similar devices on the market if you don't want to install a stereo in your car.
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:35:34 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Thanks for the info. I'd be more inclined to buy one of these bluetooth speaker devices. First it's affordable. Second, I drive quite a lot, and while I drive my car the most, I do own a farm truck, and I need to drive that to go to the nearest big city to buy building supplies and other stuff. The nearest city is an hour away. My truck only has a radio. Well, actually it has a tape player, but that has never worked since I got the truck.
I wonder if any of these bluetooth things come with a power adaptor to plug into a vehicle cig lighter socket?
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:28:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It might be worth trying a tape adapter in the truck. A lot of times the player may not work but the adapter will. Then you can plug in any kind of MP3 player.
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 2:56:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Free Tip: When using a cassette adapter in a bookshelf stereo system, don't accidentally hit the record button while the play button is depressed. It makes a hell of a racket!
I have an old bookshelf system in my shop that I use with my smartphone. Occasionally I miss the Stop button and hit the Record button instead. Can you say BZZZBBZBBZBBZZZZBBZBBZZZ?
DerbyDad03:
You probably created a feed-back loop when you accidentaly hit Record with one of those adaptors in the cassette well. lol!
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 5:54:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Without a doubt!
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:28:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

the batteries, and universal power adapters are available with just about any plug available - and any voltage. Mix and match, and "bob's your uncle"

I wouldn't necessarily buy the one I have to use in a car. It's quite small and the user controls leave something to be desired. You basically turn it on and let it play through the songs. Skipping songs or folders is awkward at best.
I bought it to use with my laptop so I could watch movies during power outages. It works great for that. Doesn't take up much space, has good sound quality, and the battery lasts a long time. The bluetooth connection doesn't work right (buzzy audio), but it's easy enough to connect a wired cable to the laptop.
As I said, there are many other powered speakers that can take memory cards or USB drives. Shop around.

They'll have a charging port. It would just be a matter of finding the right cable and/or adapters to plug it into the lighter socket.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:28:03 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

I was at Walmart again yesterday. I dont really intend to buy from them, but I was looking at their car stereos. I have not really read about car stereos in years and I was surprised to see that they have the ability to play MP3s right from a USB flash drive, and also have an AUX input for any audio source. One in particular I read the box, (Pioneer brand), is AM, FM, CD, AUX, USB, and Bluetooth, plus has some sort of special (thing) to connect a smartphone. (I dont use a smartphone, so that I did not understand).
However, I still dont quite understand what the bluetooth does... I know phones have that. Even my old flip phone, but how that has anything to do with music is beyond me. If those car stereos have USB and the ability to play music directly from a flash drive, that's all I need. Heck, a 16GB flash drive holds over 5 times more music than my 3GB MP3 player.
On 09/27/2016 02:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Bluetooth is just a wireless communication technology. I have a radio that takes a USB directly but I'm too lazy to replace the factory radio with it. The factory one has an aux port on the console so I plug in the MP3 player. The only downside is having to provide power to the player and turn it off manually.
I haven't looked at car radios since I bought the USB model in 2007 but many were iPod specific which pissed me off since I don't do Apple. I think the one I have also has a 8GB limit on the USB. That was a big stick back then.

Yep, those are fairly typical features for most stereo systems.

It's basically just a wireless communication protocol that lets different devices talk to each other.
For instance, you could play songs on your smart phone and have them played over your car stereo via the wireless bluetooth connection. Essentially like connecting a cable via the AUX input, only without the wires.
Personally, I would rather put songs on a USB drive, but many folks have everything on their smart phones.

My wife and daughter both have stereos with USB ports. They load up music on a tiny USB drive, then plug it into their car stereo. Much more music than a CD and no skips. We haven't played a CD in our cars for years.
I don't know about current stereos (ours are about 10-15 years old) but ours are limited to 4GB flash drives. That's still a lot of music in a tiny package. You could always carry multiple flash drives if that's too limiting. :)
Our stereos are limited to MP3 files but I think newer ones support other formats like WMA, AAC, and FLAC.
I keep saying I'm going to upgrade my ancient stereo to one with a USB port. Unfortunately, every stereo on the market these days uses a knob for the volume control. My car rides fairly rough so trying to make small adjustments while bouncing around is kind of difficult. Worse yet, the volume knobs usually have different functions when you push them in, so I really mess things up when I hit a bump. :) My old Alpine stereo had separate volume up and volume down buttons, much easier to use with a stiff suspension. But, I don't really drive much anymore and generally only listen to the radio anyway. Low priority.
Just as examples, here are some cheap car stereos with USB ports that may work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/JVC-KDR670-CD-Receiver/dp/B019I2BZX6/ref=sr_1_228
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-X2800UI-Single-Din-Receiver- Internet/dp/B01463VCMG/ref=sr_1_236
https://www.amazon.com/kenwood-KDC122U-Receiver-Front- USB/dp/B00PWX9TJS/ref=sr_1_252
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 10:34:50 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

Well, it's not that everything is *on* our smartphones as much as so much is available *through* our smartphones.
Pandora for music, Tune-In Radio (and others) for streaming radio, hundreds if not thousands of sites offering podcasts of every shape and size, YouTube, etc.
I have Bluetooth and a magnetic vent mount in my van. I get in the van, and slap the phone *onto* (not into) the mount. A few seconds later it connects to Bluetooth.
It's similar to this...slap and drive, grab and go.
https://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/2ryy8THe4rEjuoagWuFdWrhRbfMF/2r-960x582/v1/c700x420.jpg
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:34:36 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

These car stereos sure have changed since I last looked at them, years ago. Of those Amazon links you provided, that Pioneer one looks just like the one I was looking at, at Walmart. (or a very similar model). Walmart price was $5 higher. It said formats were MP3 and WMA (I think WMA is "Windows Media Player). That stereo also has a remote control.
It also mentioned Pandora, which I had no idea what that was until I looked it up. Stuff like that wont do me any good. I have no intention to get a smartphone, based on the cost. My prepaid Tracfone is all I need. Initially I only got a cellphone for emergency use in my car, and it has paid for itself many times over, particularly when I had a brake lockup and start on fire, not to mention calling in emergencies for other people. And lately I tend to make regular calls in it, like to call someone and tell them I'm on my way, or call a business to see if they have the car part I need, and so on. My flip phone also has access to weather radar maps and other useful stuff. But I see no need to spend a fortune to own a smart phone. If I really need internet while I'm on the road, I take my laptop and can get WIFI at most fast food places. For about $100 a year, I have my Tracfone, and actually have to make some "regular calls" or I accumulate too many minutes.
Anyhow, I'd be happy just having a car stereo that plays music from flash drives. Cds are a big pain to deal with in the car. They get into the wrong boxes and fall off the seat and get damaged, and I'm still limited to 10 to 20 songs until I pull over and change the CD. I could easily see putting several hundred songs on flash drives and could make several of them, for example, "oldies" "rock" "country", etc... (I do hope they have exceeded the 4gb limit though. I dont see any flashdrives smaller than 16gb even sold in the stores anymore). In fact Walmart had 16gb drives for $4 yesterday, so I bought several of them.
One thing I still dont understand is how to determine what stereos will fit in my 1996 Plymouth Voyager. (or any car). That Pioneer is 1 DIN, I think it's the JVC that says it's 2 DIN. I have no clue what will fit in my car. There must be some website or other way to look up specific cars. Because of this alone, I'd rather spend the extra $5 and buy it from Walmart, or go to the big city and see what places like Best Buy have. At least I can return it, and I'd likely remove my factory stereo right in their parking lot (takes 10 minutes or less), and make sure it will fit.
I can relate to the "stiff suspension" issue when I drive my truck, but my car is a pretty good ride... Either way, it would take some getting used to it, to learn how to operate it, but when I first got this car, it took a while to learn how to use the factory radio too, since this was the first car stereo I ever had with a CD and using that SCAN button, setting the presets and the clock were a challenge. I'm still used to the old radios that had a volume, tone, and a tuning knob, and 5 push buttons, and little more other than an AM-FM switch.
Thanks for all your help!
PaintedCow:
4GB is 2000 news. You can get 16 and 32Gig thumbs now!
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 13:57:54 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you had 32g of music the average driver could drive a year and never hear the same song twice.

If you've got a spare $650 you can get 1TB flash drives now. :)
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-Predator-1TB- DTHXP30/dp/B00E65QM8O/ref=sr_1_6
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:00:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

A double din will fit the 1996 Mopar with the right kit. So will a single, with the right kit. The original monster is almost a double din size, but not exact, which is why the adapter is required.
Not hard to find the info with Google.

Ours are limited to those formats too. Personally, I've never used WMA for anything and prefer to convert other formats to MP3 for the best compatibility with multiple devices.

I've never understood the reason for a remote control in a car stereo. All of the controls are at my reach on the head unit already.
I suppose it could be handy if you're in the back seat with your sweetie. :)

You might check out Tracfone's latest offerings. I have Tracfone too and upgraded to an LG Ultimate 2 L41C last year. It may not be bleeding edge stuff but it's certainly smart enough for my needs. Sure beats the old flip phone.

Yeah, I've got 100's of voice minutes that I never use, and Tracfone doesn't make it easy to just buy service hours. So I end up adding minutes every year when I don't need them just so I can add service time.

I haven't tried it, but I think it will accept a larger drive, it just won't access more than 4GB.
In any case, that's hundreds of songs and hours of music. Unless you're taking a road trip, you won't be able to listen to all of the songs on the drive.

Amazon sells an install kit (adapter plate) for your car for single DIN radios. So any single DIN stereo should fit, given enough depth behind the dash (you would probably need to remove the old stereo and measure it, then compare the new stereo's specifications).

No problem. I'm happy to help.