Is There An Electrician in the House?

Page 4 of 8

Doug Miller wrote:

Right, their comfort level will vary with the situation. In your case they were dealing with secondary voltage only since it was just your drop that was down, not primaries on the street. They also only had a single residence in question, with a generator already running. They asked and in the process reminded you about the main breaker and also got some impression of your competence. And of course at 120/240V their gloves provide plenty of protection even if there was a back feed.
Pete C.

Exactly so. I understood the foreman's question to me on two levels, and I answered him on both levels as well:
"Is your main breaker open?" (Do you know what 'open' means?)
"Yes, it's off." (Yes, I know what you mean, and yes, it is.)

Yeah, those fellas have some major heavy-duty insulated gloves. :-)
--
Regards,

Ours (telco) are rated to 20kv, the local power utility's to 35kv.
And, yes... We test everything before touching it following a storm.
Still, with all the idiots out there, and the increasingly popularity of generators, it's a pretty scary thought that someone would simply splice-up a two-male-ended cord and plug 'er in without a thought to open the main breaker or pull the meter.
--
:)
JR

Pete C. wrote:

Pete You ASS/U/ME these folks understand what the implications of those facts is. Ask puddin to explain the effect of the service transformer on the output voltage of his suicide cord connected, back fed generator if any sneak current path should exist between the inside wiring and the service drop. I'll bet you a hundred in cash that if he does it's because he learned if after reading my question.
--
Tom Horne

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:10:02 -0600, Puddin' Man

Why do you expect perfection? Such a thing doesn't exist, and can't. There is no way to be 100% certain of not making a mistake.

They could have just tested the line, found it dead, and touched it. THEN you start your generator...

I suppose your generator outputs 240V/30A. Forget to disconnect from the power lines, and that is connected to the lower voltage side of a transformer with a ratio of around 80:1. Those "dead" main lines are now carrying 19.2KV/375mA (somewhat less since the transformer won't be 100% efficient). That's more than enough to be fatal.

Was that supposed to be a sig? Where's the separator line?

Mark Lloyd

Garbage.
This...
.. is a 100% certain way of not making the mistake of backfeeding the utility lines.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:26:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That is, 100% multiplied by the probability of no mistakes, and that can NEVER be 100%. Not here. Hot anywhere anything like here.

Mark Lloyd

What, you think there *is* some way to backfeed the utility with the meter removed? Not unless you deliberately *try* to do it.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:06:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I didn't say that. I said that nothing can ever be done with 100% reliability. That is, there is never a 100% guarantee that you will remember to remove the meter EVERY time and that that meter will STAY removed.
I considered doing that (connecting generator that way) once but never did it because of the small risk of severe consequences.

Mark Lloyd

This is getting absurd. Do you think the meter is going to get up off the ground, climb the wall, and reinstall itself into the base?

I guess if you don't trust yourself to throw the main breaker, and/or don't trust other members of your household to leave it alone, then this makes sense.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:06:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That is absurd, considering that is one of the LESS likely possibilities.

I don't consider myself perfect. That's enough.

Mark Lloyd

OK, how about listing some of the ones you consider more likely? Do you *really* think that pulling the meter is *not* a secure means of disconnecting from the utility?

You don't have to be "perfect" -- you just have to get it right. Fer cryin' out loud, man, how hard *is* it for you to throw the main breaker?
Sheesh.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Pulling the meter *and* doing the lockout-tagout thing would be pretty secure.
Pete C.
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:38:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I already did.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. [whole sentence deleted].

And don't leave out the EVERY SINGLE TIME part.

[needless repetition deleted]

Mark Lloyd
Doug Miller wrote:

Yes there is and linemen have died because of it.
--
Tom Horne

OK, you want to explain that one?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I will as soon as you answer the questions I've already posed to you.
--
Tom Horne

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote:

Lack of explanation noted.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

A lineman died following hurricane Camile because the failure of a water heater heating element cross connected the off peak wiring with the regular wiring. Since the main breaker did not open the off peak meter supply the service drop was back fed.
--
Tom Horne

Reference?
--