Is there an easy way to keep the drill handy when I'm on the ladder?

Is there an easy way to keep the drill handy when I'm on the ladder?
It's been coming for years, and during the heavy rains in the NE, my gutter has detached on one end of the house.
I plan to use screws instead of spikes to reattach them, but because I've gained weight, I'm more scared than ever of the ladder. I get less scared the longer I'm up there, but I would still like to make things run smoother.
The screws go in with an electric drill and an included square bit. I"m holding pretty firmly and close to the ladder with one arm, and I don't lean back, and the problem is what to do with the corded electric drill when I'm getting it, or not using it, or earlier when I'm climbing up the ladder with it. It always seems to be in my way and it makes me lean back to make room to put it over a rung, or move from drilling in the spike on one side of me to the one on the other side..
I think I like the cord, because I can hang it over a ladder rung and the drill stays there.
OTOH, I have a low-end cordless drill, with the low voltage battery pack. I forget the voltabe but it is the size below 14v, or the the lowest size they have made in the last 20 years. It's light. If I would be better off with that, how would you secure it so it didn't fall.
Most ladders now have holes on the very top. Set the drill motor in that(screwtip first). I would assume your screw tip is sturdy enough to support the motor weight. If you dont have any holes in the top of the ladder you could make one bigger then the screw tip. This should satisfy your needs. The normal apex( magnetic screw tip holder) is about 3/8 - 1/4 inch so make the hole about 1/2 inch.
Otherwise I might make a chain or string to secure it to my belt or shoulder strap. They do make hammer holders that you can attach to your waist belt. Maybe they make a drill/screw un holder. Home Depot has something I'm sure.
mm wrote:

How 'bout a bucket, with a rope tied to the handle?..Load it up, and Haul it up when you get up there. Hooks can be made out of wire coat hangers. Tie your hankerchief at three corners, put it on your belt....use it to hold the screws. mm wrote:

I used to have a belt holster for my Skil drill. Kept forgetting to wear it, just tucked the drill under my weak side arm. Course, that doesn't help you on a ladder.
Froogle search for a drill holster should turn up something.
Hint: Don't take the drill holster with you when going to Canada. The customs people will spend an hour or so asking you where is the handgun.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Possible answers:
"If it were up your ass, you'd know." "I shipped it on ahead." "That guy over there has it." "Why would anyone need a gun in peace-loving Canada?" "Seek and ye shall find." "Is it yellow, round, about the size of a watermelon?" "I don't know. It was here a minute ago. Someone must have stolen it."
Totally excellent. In a few minutes, I'll probably find a couple more answers.
"You havn't found it yet? There are five of them!" (With shocked expression) "the fifth ammendment says I ain't gotta tell you, pig!"
Though, yours were better. I like em.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

ROTFL
Drill a hole in the top flat("Not a step") area a bit bigger than your drill chuck and stick the nose/chuck in there when you re not using it. A few other smaller holes also work well for screwdrivers etc
Ah.........Some of these suggestions would put a ladder on the scrap pile, according to OSHA regs.
Rudy wrote:

Wrist strap on the drill... but don't hang it on your wrist. Instead, if you're using an aluminum or fiberglass ladder (which have hollow rungs), slip a dowel rod through an upper rung, and hang the drill off of the dowel.
[...]

If ladders bother you, consider renting scaffold instead. It's not terribly expensive, and it provides a much larger and steadier work area.
--
Regards,
mm wrote:

I got one of these at the Borg and it works great for my cordless drill. http://www.worktools.com/monster_hook.htm

One way is the drill holster mentioned elsewhere. Available at any hardware store.
With our cordless, I made a small loop of thick cord (nylon double hung window sash cord) through a small hole on the handle. Then made a shoulder strap out of some 1" wide canvas strap (loop around shoulder, with about a 12" tail), and used a cheap carabiner to attach the "tail" of the strap to the loop.
The latter works much better than the former. Leave enough strap so that you can reach where you need to with the drill, and you don't have to worry about dropping it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
mm wrote:

Cut a piece of ply the same size as the top step of the ladder. Using a hole saw, drill a custom hole to fit your drill. Drill other holes to fit screw drivers, etc. Fasten the ply holder to the top ladder step using hinges. The holder flips onto the top step when not in use. This tip was in "Handyman" magazine some years ago.
Tie it to the ladder at the height of the gutter with 4' of sash cord unless you have 5' arms mm wrote:

<original snipped>
I have found the easiest method to ensuring your drill is where you want it to be is to take a 3" electrical EMT coupler and duct tape it to the side of your ladder. Just use it like a holster to hold the drill.
Regards, Justin

Thanks to all of you. I'll know which all work the best after I restart.
mm wrote:

Never tried it as I didn't think it would last very long but...
Supposedly you can take a 1 gal plastic container of bleach, soap, or the like, cut the bottom out and attach it to the side of the ladder. Drill just drops in nose first.
Harry K
A handy way to do it is an over-the-shoulder bag. One with side pockets for hardware and other tools would be nice.