Is there an easier way to fix a crack in a large PVC pipe?

A round or half-round file is easier...
Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

Yeah, but I don't carry a file in pocket.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Add pictures here
✖
PVC Union http://www.pondparts.com/subcat267.html

✖

You're not, and there is.
You need something called an RP coupling: it's a coupling with no flange in the middle. Make your first joint with a standard coupling as you do now. Then slip the RP coupling onto the pipe at the other splice, several inches past the joint. Apply cement to both of the pieces to be joined, on each side of the joint, and slide the coupling into place. Done.
Add pictures here
✖