Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

Page 3 of 4
On 4/22/2015 1:21 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

That's great, now please go away. No one cares.
sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:

I have tried hand sharpening knives, and that's a bust (for me).
But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw with a special setup, etc.
I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had recommendations and ideas for me. Otherwise, I will try it on my own, but, of course, it will take a lot of experimentation and tests.
Worst case, I can buy a crappy lower-quality dedicated meat slicer, but, I don't yet understand why a quality shop tool can't be outfitted to do the job.
I'm sure most cooks would shudder at using a shop tool, but, it's just a motor and blade after all, so, with a special blade, and some kind of clever jig setup, I don't see why an existing common shop tool wouldn't do the job as well.
But, of course, I have no experience in this, so that's why I ask.
On 4/22/2015 1:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:

[snip]

You give a link on Amazon to a couple of slicers you could afford. Each has a rather extensive listing of something called reviews which, since you're so inexperienced, are statements made by owners of the actual product, who've used the product for a time and yet here you are asking how to jerry-rig a Unisaw or Dremel Moto-tool.
Are you the tool?
Read the damn reviews!
"Danny D." wrote in message
sf wrote, on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:09:34 -0700:

I have tried hand sharpening knives, and that's a bust (for me).
But I have a lot of good quality shop tools, so, my *first* hope is that I can simply buy a special thin stainless-steel blade and jig for, say, my Makita miter saw or my circular saw or use a table saw with a special setup, etc.
I was hoping someone else had tried the shop-tool approach, and had recommendations and ideas for me. Otherwise, I will try it on my own, but, of course, it will take a lot of experimentation and tests.

Actually that's your best case.

Indeed most craftsmen would shudder at the idea of someone slicing cold cuts on their shop equipment. Even if it weren't a nutty idea, can you imagine the shop cleanup necessary after slicing meat with a table saw? lol
Either get an electric slicer, or get a very thin very sharp slicing knife and learn how to use it. Slice meats when well chilled to facilitate slicing.
MartyB
On 4/22/2015 12:36 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

Most butchers use the equivalent of a band saw for cutting through bones, Mr. Know-it-all.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/meat-band-saw
On 4/22/2015 3:16 PM, W. Lohman wrote:

Which is a far cry from a miter saw, circular saw, table saw, Dremel tool, or jig saw.
Try and stay with the conversation. Feel free to move your lips as you read what, we now suspect, are the mumblings of a troll.
Not to mention the fact that butcher shops DO NOT use a meat cutting saw to slice meat thinly and, regardless, he may have problems cleaning up the mess even if he COULD use it to slice meat.

They are all power saws.

Never sen an actual butcher work?

Mine uses it to make very thin Korean style beef flanken ribs.
"Danny D." wrote:

You insist on using your shop tools? Use your lathe to make shaved lunchmeat rather than sliced. No need to buy anything new. Just sharpen one bit to razor sharp and make sure the machine is cleaned well before and after.
G.
On 4/22/2015 2:36 PM, Gary wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-18-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/H8259
SALE! Reg. $235.00     $215.00 Freight:     $49.00 Total:     $264.00
On 2015-04-22 2:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Use an apple or potato peeler.
"Adam Kubias" wrote in message

Curly-Q lunchmeat... lol!
Drop in the fryer like curly fries... hey, wait a minute! Eureka!
lol
On 4/22/2015 6:41 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

Your next BBQ competition side dish enrty...
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 7:03:45 PM UTC-5, Adam Kubias wrote:

...give that man a seegar!
bob_villa wrote:

We have a slicer it can slice meat like deli shop. Wife bought it in Germany when she was working there in the '70s. All SS and quite compact easy to use. Not using much after kids grown up. Future garage sale item.
On 4/22/15 1:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Some chefs recommend a chef's knife for meat, but their slices don't look thin to me.
To slice meat thinly, I use a knife with a thin blade. The one I have doesn't take or hold an edge like my chef's knife, but it beats my chef's knife for slicing meat.
If you look at ham slicing knives at amazon, they'll show you lots. Some have a Granton edge. I've read that's good for slicing meat thin.

This is a 'temporary' problem so not much desire to invest heavily. Go to Walmart, to the sporting Section, and buy a fileting knife for around $7, comes with a solid protective sheath to mount on your belt, and sharpener!
Chill the meat as cold as possible, then slice. You'll be able to 'see' through the slices. The cheese is a bit more daunting, but just keep the blade clean and you'll get by.
The sharpener will make this knife razor sharp, so be careful. I've sliced my thumb when all I was doing was wiping the blade a bit carelessly with a paper towel. The cut was so thin barely felt the slicing but did notice the blood running out.
The sharpener that is built for this knife consists of two angled ceramic rods positioned in a plastic holder, so sharpening is easy. The blade seems to hold the edge for quite a while, too.
Note we have one of those German motorized slicers that cost $$$ but taking it out, using, cleaning, etc what a bother. I even use that filet knife to cut very thin slices of bread for hors d'oeurves(sp?) you know for brie etc.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I have a very old Acme brand slicer, it's surprisingly super sharp and super fine with it's cuts. Mostly made of cast iron and quite heavy.
Most of the time I use one of these: http://www.wusthof.com/_usa/Products/Global-Product-Detail-Page.jsp?/gourmet/utility+knives/6+inch+salami+knife+4111/id-7231/
I originally bought it to round out my set of wusthof knives and found it's one of the knives that gets the most use. You can cut very fine and accurately with one of these knives. Great on tomatoes.
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:34:40 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

I have seen good, used slicers at Goodwill...there's also CL and used kitchen supply stores.
On 4/22/2015 1:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I think Billy Mays hawked such a device, but he died years ago. Nothing out there to my knowledge.
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

You need a Flimzu Knife.
Cuts meat so thin you can use it as a screen protector on your smart phone.
Act now. Call 10-FLIMZU (extra charges may apply)
Or write BOX FLIMZU, NY, NY zipcode FLIMZU.