Is there a "walkable" torchdown coating?

I have a 24x24 carport roof w/ torchdown roofing that has started to leak a little. I'd like to put on a coating of some sort that would give me another couple of years before doing teardown and new garage.

Are there any coatings (must be dark gray or black, not white) that are minimally walkable w/out scuffing or lifting asphalt on hot days?

Alternatively, would a "cap sheet" of EPDM be walkable?

Not lots of traffic, just occasional sweeping leaves, clearing gutters.

Thx for suggestions.

Reply to
Axial

A good rubber roof will last a long time 20-30 yrs if you take care of it

Reply to
m Ransley

Axial wrote:>I have a 24x24 carport roof w/ torchdown roofing that has started to

The torch-down roofs I've applied are quite "walkable", as long as it's the minimum you speak of. A really hot day may not be a good time to walk it, though. As far as coatings available in the colors you need, I don't know. I've only seen the white and silver types. Silver is nasty, cleaning up with mineral spirits, but I wonder if a bit of food coloring would harm the qualities of the white coating...Homeowners association, huh? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

I have done torch down in two styles. One finished with a mop on top coat. Silverish grey color. The other was impregnated with granules and required no top-coat. The color of the granules was light grey. Both walkable for the things you describe but I would not use them for a livable space such as a roof deck.

Reply to
Brikp

Thanks all for suggestions. So far a product called "Acu-Shield" sounds like a potential solution

; apparently it can be colored with universal tint. It doesn't sound nearly as messy to put on as the various Henry's -type asphalt coatings, and it'll stand foot traffic because it's made for commercial bldg roofs where they need to service HVAC equipment, etc.

Homeowners assoc, yes, but even if there wasn't, I want to be considerate of the neighbors up the hill, I'd go bonkers looking down at a glaring white roof in a sea of PacNW evergreen trees. No heat problem considering this is just a carport, either.

Sheila

Reply to
Axial