Is there a pool pump fitting adapter to stop this incessant leak?

As i said earlier, you MAY have that option. IF the valve is designed for that. I have seen pool components that are designed to accomodate two different size pipes. But they are not ALL that way. If that were a regular PVC valve, there is no way you'd connect to the outside, because it's not designed for it. The outside of a regular PVC valve isn't a standard size that you can put another PVC fitting, pipe, etc over.

If you can do it that way, then yes, for sure it's easier.

Reply to
trader4

It looks like normal pipe - but notice this huge but ancient gash cut deeply circumferentially in the middle of it.

If that sleeve were only a single-wall pipe, that gash is so deep that I suspect the pipe would have burst long ago, don't you think?

If it weren't for that deep gash, I'd agree that it would appear to just be a regular pipe.

But that gash tells me there *may* be a pipe inside of a pipe.

Reply to
Danny D.

Yes, I saw your earlier post. But why would you want to use a fitting that reduces the size of the pipe, when you can just leave a 1 1/2" stub coming out of the valve and then use a 50c regular PVC coupling?

Reply to
trader4

I think I'll take advantage of that reducer fitting!

In fact, I think that seemingly straight run into the filter pump might actually be two reducers fitted end-to-end ???

I surmise that because of this huge circumferential "gash" at the center point of that straight run outlined by the arrows:

Here's a closeup of that "gash":

Do you think this straight run is actually two of those reducer fittings, pressed together, end to end?

Reply to
Danny D.

Just cut the pipe off 1 1/2" from the valve, before the gash. Do you want to make everything harder and more complicated than it has to be? There isn't a pipe inside a pipe. And there isn't anything to make it burst. You're looking at the suction side

Reply to
trader4

I see what you mean. Makes sense what you say.

Good thing I had asked because my first thought was to cut flush with the Jandy valves.

But, if I do as you suggest, I can always cut closer and closer to the Jandy valves anyway (big can always be made smaller).

Reply to
Danny D.

Do you think I can get this tool at Home Depot or Lowes?

I just googled and didn't really find this at the box stores:

Danny D.

Hmmmmmm.... yes there is a control box very close nearby. Here it is, circled, in yellow:

But, I have a secondary reason for wanting to put a junction box on the concrete next to the motor (if that meets code).

The installers didn't add a single inch of unnecessary wire!

So, when I remove the motor for bearing replacement, it's ridiculously tough to unroute the thick copper wires, disconnect them from the motor, and then reroute & reconnect them back when I'm done.

Basically, the only way to do it, since there is a tight

90 degree elbow right at the motor itself, is to spin the heavy motor to tighten that elbow. It's ridiculously hard!

So, by adding the following, it would make pump removal easy:

  1. Add a union at the inlet and outlet pipes of the pump
  2. Add a junction box for the very thick 220v wires

The key thing is that I have to be safe with the wiring because there is a lot of water and ground lying around. :)

Reply to
Danny D.

Yikes. You're right. The builders were economical with that bare wire as much as anything else, and for that, you don't want junctions so I'll likely replace the whole thing (which would not be a big deal).

The Jandy valves are the big deal. And the pump!

Reply to
Danny D.

Yes, you can do that if you wish. Use a waterproof junction box.

Alternatively you could just replace the conduit and wires with longer ones that would have some slack so it's not as difficult.

That part I don't get. Normally the conduit connector goes into the motor and is held in place by a nut, no?

Technically, if you want to be 100% code compliant, since you're moving the motors and rewiring the circuit, it should be on a circuit with a GFCI breaker.

Reply to
trader4

mer-select-size.aspx

Reply to
trader4

Oren, I think we should get a saw, get his address and go over there. I mean I'm all for thinking things out and planning ahead. But this isn't a mission to fix the Hubble telescope where you have to have every possible contingency covered. Cut the freaking pipe.

Reply to
trader4

Maybe. If the outside of the pool strainer is perfectly round where the pipe goes in and if there is enough of something there so you can get the hose on it. And if you can find a hose of the right diameter.

Reply to
trader4

I read your method again and I got it wrong the first time. What you're actually suggesting is to use a piece of hose and make it into a Fernco that you use to connect the two pieces of pipe back together. That would work for one connection, but on the other strainer, it's all elbows, he has no pipe to work with.

Reply to
trader4

Did you look at the picture? It's all elbows on the second pump. How do you put hose over elbows and seal it? Geeez... And on the other pump, where a hose patch over *might* work, you have to cut it apart even to put a hose over it. At that point, why wouldn't one just do it the normal way using PVC?

Reply to
trader4

+1
Reply to
DD_BobK

+1
Reply to
DD_BobK

The really unfortunate thing.... I live within walking distance of DDD. But IMO, he's beyond help.

I think my real issue with DDD is ... his approach to home repair painfully reminds me of my dumb, know-it- all, cheap ass brother (also a CPA, who woulda thunk?)

Reply to
DD_BobK

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

I used to get angry with what DD_BobK said, mostly because it was purely emotional & usually added no value to the conversation.

I actually thought he was just an emotional kid, but then I looked him up, and found the real "Robert" that I think the nym actually belongs to, although there were references to Mammoth Lakes and boating so I wasn't entirely sure I was reading up on the right guy.

If it was the right Robert K.....y, then I was duly impressed by what I read about him - from his research at both Stanford & UC Irvine in prototype development to having his aerospace engineering investments bought by a defense contractor handling the Apache AH-64 near that university, to his impressive array of patent awards, and other mechanical engineering entrepreneurial feats that most of us who aren't Aspergers merely dream about here in the Silicon Valley.

So I stopped being angered by his hurtful comments and simply wished that he'd add value to the queries since his design, prototyping, and repair background was just about as good as it gets here in California.

I guess it helped me understand his personality a bit better when I looked up his patents to find that most were related to munitions delivery and explosives! So, if he really does live within a stone's throw of me, I certainly wouldn't want to get him upset!

Besides, he'd enjoy knowing what I'm nurturing lately in my compost area:

Danny D.