is there a noise canceling headphone, not music.

Page 1 of 2  
Is there a such thing as a headphone (not music) that will quiet down an extremely noisy room when worn? Sort of like a high tech ear plug.
I am looking to quiet down white noise, motor noise, television, folks talking. And yes all at the same time.
I googled, but am only finding music head phones.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/6/2016 11:42 PM, T wrote:

Try cotton balls. Just a small portion in each ear. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either.
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/06/2016 09:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is what I have been doing. It need it to be about 10 times more effective.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hmm I've heard of noise cancelling ear buds like for iPod's. Is it for work or sleeping?
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Probably for Sex :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

With himself?
--
Tekkie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, most hardware stores should have them. But they are NOT called headphones, which is why your google results are bad. Try something like "hearing protectors". A lot of people use them to mow the lawn, so places that sell mowers probably have them too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/06/2016 10:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

That explains it. Search lit up like a Christmas tree!
Thank you!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/06/2016 10:32 PM, T wrote:

These look good:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)57332644&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+for+sho
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/7/2016 1:38 AM, T wrote:

Less intrusive are the foam plugs. Disposable but can be reused many times. I'll put them in on a stormy night when trying to sleep or run noisy equipment like the lawn mower or chain saw. At the shooting range, I'll use the plugs plus ear muffs. Muffs are better than plugs but become uncomfortable particularly when warm.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I don't think it's fair to call these noise *cancelling*. Good words would be protecting, insulating, stifling, stopping, but cancelling to me refers to electronic headphones that listen to the noise and generate an opposite signal, so that the sum of the noise and the sum of the signal is zero or close to it.
I've never used them and I don't know how well they work, and I can imagine there is a wide range of what works well.
But if there is no electronics in the device, I think they are being dishonest by stealing the word *cancelling* from electronic devices that seek to and afaik often succeed in cancelling noise.

Foam refers to the ones you roll into a thin tube and put them in your ears before they expand. (unlike earlier foam that expanded the moment you stopped squeezing it. That was not used for ear plugs afaik.)
I've used thse a lot and they work well. And they're cheap 2 dollars for 3 pair maybe, at least a few years ago. They may have disadvantages but just try them. I'm not going to prejudice you against them. I use the yellow ones that are a simple cylinder. There are also green ones that are smaller at the end.
But if the foam is not good enough, I would try electronic noise *cancelling* head set, and I'd turn it on and then not turn on the sound of the radio or computer it's plugged into, or more likely it doesn't have to be plugged into anything to do its cancelling.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 11:16:28 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

If that's dishonest, what do you think about Obama trying to confuse people with his BS, like his new creation of "jobs created or saved"? How does one count jobs saved, something never done before and that no economist has ever attempted?
Or how about counting wetbacks, caught and pushed right back over the Mexican border as a "deportation", something else that's never been done before.
Are those dishonest too?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 11:32:49 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

You just had to go political, didn't you?
Why?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 11:38:46 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Because I wanted to see if Micky's standards are consistent. You just had to reply, didn't you? Why? For the record, the topic has nothing at all to do with home repair to begin with.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 08:32:46 -0800 (PST), trader_4

I think you should stick to headphones when the topic is headphones, and that I don't want to have to track down whether your claims are true or not. It's just as likely that the sources you read are lying as it is that the Obama admin. is.
trying to confuse

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

For some reason, I was trying to be conciliatory, but as soon as I pushed Send, I regretted it. I think it's a lot more likely the sources you reed are lying. Lying has been the stock in trade of conservatives over the past few years. What makes Trump unusual is that his lies are so easy to catch and contradict. Half of what makes him arrogant is that he lies so blatently.
I could spend hours on the web and not know who was telling the truth on your two topics (so don't bother to post links. I won't know whether they are true or not).
But because of this, I've never commented on job creation numbers or deportation numbers. So there's no way bringing up those topics will help to find any inconsistency in my posting.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 1:54:04 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

I think you'll actually regret this post even more, because you're going to be taken to the woodshed again. It's also probative that instead of checking the facts, really easy to do here, you jump to the conclusion of who's lying. Nice, real nice.
What makes Trump unusual is

Right, Obama is much more accomplished and skillful at it.

Funny you claim to have figured out that Reagan didn't deliver most of his promises. Given what you just demonstrated here, I see how that happens. How hard is it to use Google? Is it broken?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/12/deportations-come-mostly-fr om-border-dhs-chief-say/?page=all
"Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson acknowledged Tuesday that his depar tment's deportation numbers are now mostly made up of illegal immigrants ca ught at the border, not just those from the interior, which means they can' t be compared one-to-one with deportations under President Bush or other pr ior administrations.
The administration has argued it is tougher on illegal immigration than pre vious presidents, and immigrant-rights groups have excoriated President Oba ma, calling him the "deporter-in-chief" for having kicked out nearly 2 mill ion immigrants during his five-year tenure.
But Republican critics have argued those deportation numbers are artificial ly inflated because more than half of those being deported were new arrival s, caught at the border by the U.S. Border Patrol. Previous administrations primarily counted only those caught in the interior of the U.S. by U.S. Im migration and Customs Enforcement.
"Under the Obama administration, more than half of those removals that were attributed to ICE are actually a result of Border Patrol arrests that woul dn't have been counted in prior administrations," said Rep. John Culberson, Texas Republican.
"Correct," Mr. Johnson confirmed.
That would mean that in a one-to-one comparison with the final years of the Bush administration, deportations of those same people under Mr. Obama had actually fallen, according to immigration analysts who have studied the da ta.
See, not hard to find at all. Is Jeh Johnson lying?

I see, because you prefer to remain ignorant on major issues where Obama is lying to you, well, it just don't matter. Go figure.
For the "jobs saved" fiction, just show us *one* example where this "statistic" was ever used prior to the Obama administration. Anyone here who's followed jobs reports, economic reports over the years, knows that no one ever used it, it was totally made up by the Obama administration. Here's a simple test. Google "jobs created". You'll find all kinds of hits, to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the govt body that tabulates it monthly, for example. You'll find economists, discussing them. Now google "jobs saved" and you'll find nothing of any economic relevance. BLS doesn't track it, never has. It is a pure BS, fraudulent number, created by team Obama to pull the wool over your eyes. It's obvious a total BS number because obviously you could give $10 mil in aid to a city, then claim that you somehow saved, 50, 100, 1000 jobs. Pick your number. In other words, it's a clear example of BS marketing, designed to fool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 2:24:01 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

from-border-dhs-chief-say/?page=all

artment's deportation numbers are now mostly made up of illegal immigrants caught at the border, not just those from the interior, which means they ca n't be compared one-to-one with deportations under President Bush or other prior administrations.

revious presidents, and immigrant-rights groups have excoriated President O bama, calling him the "deporter-in-chief" for having kicked out nearly 2 mi llion immigrants during his five-year tenure.

ally inflated because more than half of those being deported were new arriv als, caught at the border by the U.S. Border Patrol. Previous administratio ns primarily counted only those caught in the interior of the U.S. by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

re attributed to ICE are actually a result of Border Patrol arrests that wo uldn't have been counted in prior administrations," said Rep. John Culberso n, Texas Republican.

he Bush administration, deportations of those same people under Mr. Obama h ad actually fallen, according to immigration analysts who have studied the data.

Does anyone know where I put my noise cancelling eyeglasses?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

The correct term for what the OP is searching for is SNC - for Active Noise Cancelling.
The non-electronic units can still be called "noise cancelling" but they are Passive - or PNC devices. A real PNC has audio engineering that traps certain frequencies while passing others. (and are nowhere near as effective and user friendly as an ANC headset)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/6/2016 10:42 PM, T wrote:

Flents "Quiet! please" foam ear plugs. *If* you don't mind sticking something IN your ear...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.