On Sun, 12 May 2013 21:42:24 +0000, John Weiss wrote:
We looked up the main ingredient in the Goo dissolvers; they
appear to be 95% petroleum distillates.
We tested a few petroleum distillates, such as carb cleaner,
MAF cleaner, paint thinner, engine degreaser, etc., but what
worked fastest and easiest was plain old California gasoline.
In fact, I tried a new technique today, which was to put the
plastic jars inside a mixed-nuts container from Costco, and
shook it for about 10 seconds; then washed it off.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 09:54:10 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
Maybe. Maybe not. It would be nice if a chemist is in
the group as I can see reasons why and why not myself.
For example, most often recommended goo-be-gone stuff
is simply 95% petroleum distillates themselves:
So, I'm not positive that one petroleum distillate is that
much worse than another (although I am not a chemist).
Firstly, the labels are on the OUTSIDE of the plastic container
and the caps were on the entire time; so one could argue that
the insides are wholly uncontaminated.
Secondly, I did wash with a surfactant after dissolving the
label glue with the petroleum distillate, so, one could argue
it's as clean as you get your oily pots and pans.
Lastly, my petroleum distillate was relatively volatile, so,
while trace amounts might incorporate themselves into the
plastic, most simply vaporized outside in the hot sun.
Given that, I'm not convinced it's not food grade; however
someone with more chemistry background and experience would
know more than I do about this.
I'm no chemist but I wonder if you can find any food safety authority
(meaning academically accredited or legally authoritative) which condones
putting food in plastic containers which were cleaned in a non-industrial
setting with gasoline. If you don't find your (food science) chemist here,
go out and try to validate what you want to believe because there is
abundant scientifically based food safety information out there on federal,
state, local, and university research websites. I've burnt out on
researching authoritative food safety resources whenever someone posts
something like this, but it's easy to find.
On another note, taste and smell sensitivity among people varies widely, but
in my case, I doubt you can soak a plastic peanut butter container in
gasoline and then clean it so perfectly that I can't detect it. The point
being that just because you can't detect it doesn't mean others can't, and
if you've recently handled gas you may not be able to detect a trace amount.
I don't know how much you separated yourself in time and space from the gas
soaking experiment, but it's food for thought.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 12:41:56 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
This may be very true as my wife can smell the essence of
what I've been doing even days afterward!
In fact, she had arrived home *after* my experiment had concluded:
But, she still knew *something* was up by the odd essence of
distillate she caught, even though all the windows were open.
She inquired as to whether I was "up to something" again in
"her" kitchen! Little did she know that prior, her sink had:
Engine degreaser: <=== this, I think, is what she smelled!
Good thing she didn't see this in her sink!
But, I think it was this that she smelled, in the end:
Luckily, I learned my lesson and did the gasoline and 28%
muriatic acid experiments OUTSIDE!
You did all that in your kitchen sink? And your wife is a "Super Sniffer"?
I'd say you're lucky if you sleep in your own bed tonight!
You need to get one of those solvent sink contraptions that auto mechanics
use to clean up dirty parts. And BTW, don't install it in your kitchen. ;-)
Uh, Danny-- You don't need help with cleaning labels, trimming
bushes or building pool poles.
this is the most valuable advice you'll ever get on Usenet-
"Quit using the kitchen sink [that your wife views as *hers*] for
Put one of these in the basement or garage--
A $30 slop sink can save your marriage-- or your life!
Plumbing it will make it better-- but a bucket or two will make it
As long as there's a remnant of the glue the jar remains sticky and
unusable, and that sure looks like glue on the mixed-nuts container.
There's a limit to how much effort and chemical I'm willing to expend
just to remove a label.
I was at the 99-Cents-Only Store this morning and picked up a 2-ounce
bottle of Goo Gone. Amazingly enough, it worked really well on one of
the Costco plastic candy/nut/whatever containers. Spread a little bit
over the sticky with your fingers, look for a knife to use to scrape it
off, find out that it doesn't scrape, grab paper towel, wipe vigorously
and VOILA! Washed it with liquid detergent. Bravo. I didn't expect it
to work (Shoe Goo is worthless), but it really did.
I also bought one of those Topsy Turvy things for growing tomatoes
upside down ("As seen on TV"). I think they were $10 or so originally.
I have some MiracleGro dirt and some 4" cherry tomato plants so I'll
give it a try. Again, not much hope -- why would they be available at
the 99-Cent Store if they worked?
OTOH, there's the Goo Gone...
On Mon, 13 May 2013 13:11:43 -0700, dennisgauge wrote:
You mistake curiosity and enlightenment for a 'crisis'?
I could just as innocently ask why you aren't interested
in running some experiments yourself and furthering
your collective knowledge on a variety of things.
There's nothing wrong with asking, and learning from
the responses - and - most importantly - receiving the
knowledge learned from years of experience from those
who helpfully populate this a.h.r venue.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.