Is there a machinist in the house

I have a gas light that illuminates my driveway. The clips that hold the glass in the lamp have rusted. The head of the screw has a 3/16 hex head.
I am looking for some clips to replace them. The base for the screws stick out farther than the glass so the clips have to be offset in to hold the glass. The existing clips were a very thin metal. The fixture has ridges that are shaped like the glass to hold most of the glass. The clips are just to keep pressure on the glass.
| | | |
Any suggestions on what to use?
They don't make this fixture anymore and the gas company has no idea where/how to get replacements.
http://i11.tinypic.com/47dr4f6.jpg
The fixtures are weathered. My health has been bad.
Terry wrote:

Remove the clips and screws and discard them. Remove the glass and clean thoroughly. Clean the frame and wire brush if needed to remove corrosion and grime. Apply silicone sealant to the frame, press the glass in place and masking tape it securely until the silicone sets up. Remove masking tape and clean away excess silicone with razor blade or whatever. Repair should now be good for another forty years or so. HTH
Joe
See if you can find the metal screw clips that were used on metal screen/storm doors. They had knurled screws which are sufficient for keeping tension on the glass. The newer ones are plastic and don't have screws. Try a good hardware or a storm door installer. You could "antique" the clips with hobby paint from a hobby shop or craft department. If the fixture is in poor shape, consider replacement. They make some attractive gas fixtures. Your gas company may offer some. Just call them to find out.

I'm not sure exactly how these clips are shaped, but banding iron or strapping is handy for fabrication jobs like these. I'm talking about the type of steel banding used for shipping on pallets and heavy crates. You can usually find some for free at a dumpster behind any industrial or large commercial business. Assuming you have a drill and some basic hand tools.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Check w. glaziers; from your description, the clips seem like those used to mount a mirror to a wall.
Terry wrote:

I found these at Home Depot before I got your helpful message, but that is exactly what I brought home to try. It has been raining all day today. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
The bracket will be offset backwards to holding a mirror, but I think it just might work.
Thanks