Is there a good way to deflate large inflatable toys?

I bought a large inflatable water slide for use by the pool:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
This is a pretty cool slide. It appears to be very well made. The material (vinyl?) is very heavy.
But I was not prepared for the setup and, especially, the take-down time. It took me well over half an hour to inflate the slide using a small portable compressor.
I am now trying to deflate it and not having a lot of success. If anyone has a better way, I'd love to hear about it.
The large chambers (there are 4) have what the manufacturer calls a Boston Valve.
http://tinyurl.com/qwsott
This is a 2-part valve. The cap opens a one-way valve that lets air in but not out. There is another "nut" that removes the valve entirely leaving an unobstructed opening about 3/4" wide. I opened all 4 Boston valves. The large chambers deflated about 90% in a few minutes. That last 10% is not going well.
With an air mattress, I would just roll it up from one end and force the air out. This thing is too complicated and too heavy for that.
The small chambers (also 4) have the standard plug valve with a flap to keep most of the air from escaping. This is fine for inflating, but difficult for deflating. I have to stick something into the valve to hold the flap open.
I tried using the vacuum cleaner. It works reasonably well on the large chambers with the Boston valves, but not so well with the smaller valves. I don't have anything that I can use to prop the valve flap open that won't either block the opening or get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.
I see that Amazon has a bunch of "inflator/deflator" gizmos. Most of them have no reviews. Doesd anyone know if any of these are any good? That is, better than the vacuum cleaner?
Here are a few:
Rave Sports Hi-Speed Inflator. Reviewers say it is fast and powerful, but runs hot and may not be able to inflate more than one large item.
http://tinyurl.com/qqut6j
Sevylor 110 Volt Mini Inflator/Deflator. $18. I can't tell if it comes with a hose.
http://tinyurl.com/pm4ok9
Metro Vacuum 110-IDAR 110-Volt Magc Air Inflator/Deflator. $50. This looks like the right tool if it works.
http://tinyurl.com/q4jtvr
Marine inflater/deflator. $73. This is 12V only, so not convenient for backyard use.
http://tinyurl.com/o7jcy9
Black & Decker makes an inflater, which I thought about buying, but I don't think it can deflate.
http://tinyurl.com/pvqjnc
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Did you consider using a shop vacuum?
TDD
On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:09:40 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Not until you suggested it. The shop vac is the right tool for the job.
Before I saw your message, I used a compressor. It works, of course, but I only have a small 2 gallon tank so it ran continuously. This is not good for the compressor and several neighbors are probably still mad. But the worst part was the deflating. I ended up using the house vacuum cleaner, but the nozzle was the wrong size.
I picked up a $30 shop vac from the Borg with a set of nozzles. It was just as fast as the compressor for inflating and much less noisy. and deflating was much easier.
Thanks. Have a virtual beer on me. ;-)
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I have a couple of small shop vac's. One of them is a one gallon Shop-Vac brand. I use it when servicing refrigeration, HVAC equipment and computers. A lot of folks are surprised that I will use the vacuum to clear condensate drain lines instead of blowing them out like most techs. The shop vac is less messy in that regard, I don't have dirty liquid splattered everywhere.
TDD

I use my shop vac to inflate and deflate these things. Make a fitting from a series of smaller hoses and some duct tape.
Leave the Boston valves in place- but make the last fitting just small enough to go inside the valve and open the flapper. [the inflator is junk- but this is what you want the end fitting to look like- (Amazon.com product link shortened)42510555&sr=1-9 ]
i'm guessing 10 minutes to inflate or deflate that slide.

The nozzles are the best part of that toy. I'd wager that the worst shop vac will move 10 times as much air.
I love that they call it a "high volume air pump" but don't say what that "high volume" is.
Jim

Yep, a shop vac is trhe way to go.

Closer to 30 minutes each way. The thing has 7-8 compartments and it's very heavy.

Sorry to be so cynical and mean spirited but I really hope your not a "true" professor.
This is just yet again another example of someone who has a real or supposed need and goes about filling it withour really researching what they need and need to do to satisfy their need(s) properrly. They then go to stangers with their hands our saying "help me, please!"
And we are supposed to be enlightened??
Okay.....mine usually pop.
od
Someone had to say it.