Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

Page 4 of 4

wrote

I know a man who once HAD to wrap chicken bones in foil, then seal them inside a ziplock bag, then wrap that in newspaper, then seal the newspaper with gray Duct Tape. Then, and only then, would he put the package in his trash can. This all had to be done within one hour of finishing the meal.
Last I heard, he was having a relaxing time just sitting, making baskets, doing abstract paintings, and having an occasional session of electric shock therapy.
Steve

I have pets that can get into the trash. There are more reasons to not put food based waste in the regular trashcan other than having OCD...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

My solution is, I think, far more common, and definitely much less trouble: Keep the kitchen wastebasket in the cabinet under the sink where the dogs can't get at it. When the wastebasket gets full, empty it into the garbage can in the garage -- where the dogs can't get at it. Once a week, set the garbage cans out at the street for pickup -- where the dogs can't get at it.
--
Regards,

That's fine if you have the space to do that. ;-) I don't. I just make sure that nothing desirable to the pets goes into the trash. It's actually quite simple, and it keeps me from having a smelly trash can.

Our city does the large dumpster thing. They have those big arms that come out of the side of the trash truck to pick up the dumpsters that the city distributes to each household.
Those trash cans are _way_ too large for dogs to be a problem. ;-)
But, thanks anyhoo.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Then you need a smaller wastebasket. I haven't seen a sink cabinet yet that doesn't have room under it for at least a small wastebasket.
--
Regards,

I use a garbage disposer for most food. I do exactly as you described for many items that I don't want to put in the disposer (bones and fibrous items such as banana peels, for example). If it will be several days before trash pickup, I usually freeze those items first and put them in the trash the day before -- this is East Texas, and it is all-too-easy to attract insects.
MaryL
Make certain that the drain line from the disposer runs slightly downhill so that you aren't retaining a little of the drainage in the bottom of the disposer. Also, be sure you have a trap between the disposer and the drain line that exits the cabinet or you could get sewer gas coming back through the disposer.
Harry

I've had either Kitchen Air or In-Sink-Erators in my houses for 40 years and never had an odor problem. Just run it down and no stink. Ever.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Me, too. I'm kind of baffled about this whole question. Had them in my homes and in all my restaurants. Never a problem. In the normal course of events, I run water down them, often with a bit of detergent that I've used for cleaning something. But nothing special and never had to scrub any of them. My suggestion is to flush it with hot tap water and a small splash of dish detergent now and again.
Pastorio

I'm with you guys -- mine (Insinkerator) doesn't smell unless I put something down there and forget to run it, but that's very rare. The OP may have something really nasty stuck in his. He may want to try coffee grounds, a lemon quarter, or some ice cubes to get it out. Per manufacturer's instructions, of course...
--
Jani in WA

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.communge (Little Malice) wrote:

Try some baking soda, or when you eat an orange, save the peels and run those through the garbage disposer normal grinding cycle. The orange peels leave a nice smell without any chemicals use.
Morenuf
--
snipped-for-privacy@nobodyhome.com.invalid

Is it possible that the new disposer sits lower than the old one such that waste water is living in the new one?
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
I was listening to a local radio station (Cincinnati) and heard a good tip: pour some baking soda in it once a week and let it spin for a few seconds. The baking soda will remove the odors.
http://www.gosyro.com/recipes/00088.asp