Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

That's fine if you have the space to do that. ;-) I don't. I just make sure that nothing desirable to the pets goes into the trash. It's actually quite simple, and it keeps me from having a smelly trash can.

Our city does the large dumpster thing. They have those big arms that come out of the side of the trash truck to pick up the dumpsters that the city distributes to each household.

Those trash cans are _way_ too large for dogs to be a problem. ;-)

But, thanks anyhoo.

Reply to
Omelet

Make certain that the drain line from the disposer runs slightly downhill so that you aren't retaining a little of the drainage in the bottom of the disposer. Also, be sure you have a trap between the disposer and the drain line that exits the cabinet or you could get sewer gas coming back through the disposer.

Harry

Reply to
HarryS

Then you need a smaller wastebasket. I haven't seen a sink cabinet yet that doesn't have room under it for at least a small wastebasket.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The following line was taken directly from my Insinkerator Evloution series Use and Care manual:

"TIPS FOR TROUBLE-FREE Garbage disposals work best if you:

  • Use cold water when grinding food (hot water can melt fats and clog the mechanism and the pipes)

BTW I love our Insinkerator! It's very quiet, especially with the Quiet Collar=99 Sink Baffle in place. This is a removable rubber baffle that allows the water to drain out while causing a sheeting action that seals the noise in the disposer. It lifts right out if you need to puts large stuff down the drain, unlike my old Kenmore who's baffle was permanently installed between the drain and disposer. The insinkerator is so quiet that sometimes we forget it's running until we turn the water off!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've had either Kitchen Air or In-Sink-Erators in my houses for 40 years and never had an odor problem. Just run it down and no stink. Ever.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Me, too. I'm kind of baffled about this whole question. Had them in my homes and in all my restaurants. Never a problem. In the normal course of events, I run water down them, often with a bit of detergent that I've used for cleaning something. But nothing special and never had to scrub any of them. My suggestion is to flush it with hot tap water and a small splash of dish detergent now and again.

Pastorio

Reply to
Bob (this one)

I'm with you guys -- mine (Insinkerator) doesn't smell unless I put something down there and forget to run it, but that's very rare. The OP may have something really nasty stuck in his. He may want to try coffee grounds, a lemon quarter, or some ice cubes to get it out. Per manufacturer's instructions, of course...

Reply to
Little Malice

Try some baking soda, or when you eat an orange, save the peels and run those through the garbage disposer normal grinding cycle. The orange peels leave a nice smell without any chemicals use.

Morenuf

Reply to
morenuf

I use a garbage disposer for most food. I do exactly as you described for many items that I don't want to put in the disposer (bones and fibrous items such as banana peels, for example). If it will be several days before trash pickup, I usually freeze those items first and put them in the trash the day before -- this is East Texas, and it is all-too-easy to attract insects.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Mmm ... the instruction manual for my unit indicated otherwise.

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
gosyro.com

Is it possible that the new disposer sits lower than the old one such that waste water is living in the new one?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Take the box of baking soda setting in your fridg (and replace it with a new box). Then take the old box and dump it down the disposal, dump the ice from your icemaker into the sink. Do this just before you go to bed. By morning the ice will be gone and so will the odor.

Reply to
Phisherman