Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

What about pork rinds?

Reply to
mm

If you think I'm going to buy a buncha freaky Oz spider dirt, yer crazy!

nb

Reply to
notbob

I don't like their sicky-sweet smell.

I just put baking soda in the bottom of the drawer where the trash can lives, and more baking soda in the bottom of the trash can itself. Change occasionally.

I have, however, heard that those "bounce" sheets are good for cleaning wooden shutters. T/F?

Reply to
aspasia

Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Dec 2006 03:09:15p, Matt meant to say...

They all need cleaning periodically.

Fill the sink to capacity, and whill it's filling dump in a small box of baking soda.

Leave the water running, turn on the disposer, then pull the drain plug.

At least one manufacturer recommends this method, and I've found that it really works.

If the "rubber finger" flange in the opening is removable, remove it and give it a good scrubbing underneath.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Do you toss the animal bits int here as well? No matter how much leaf mulch I have in the pile, animal remains stink and draw critters. We only throw plant matter (fruits, veggies, some grains) and very little fat. You are 100% about the soil inmprovement. It's amazing.

maxine in ri

Reply to
maxine in ri

nancree wrote: Make it a habit to run hot water and the

I always was told never to run hot water in the disposal as it can overheat the motor. I do place ice cubes in mine to "clean" and "sharpen" the mechanism. But I use cold water for the process.

Reply to
Jocelyn De Contents

[Rummage, rummage rummage] Ah, here it is.

maxine in ri

Reply to
maxine in ri

Hi Matt,

Just asking here. Did you have to replace any drain piping when you installed your new garbage disposer? If you did, please explain...thanks...jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Baking soda and vinegar are sales , lots of sales , and money for Mr Armand Hammer

the inventor of Arm And Hammer baking soda .

Lye is for cleaning , but Draino charges far too much for Lye and magic dust ( aluminum dust actually ) . You can buy dry Lye ( caustic soda ) for cheap , but it clogs your drain first , then it unclogs it . It expands hair and bio material , clogging the drain , then it decomposes it . a pinch in food adds flavor , if its too acid ...

After all that , its too much hassle owning a garb' disposal . Just bag it and trash it .

Id like a piston compressor that takes all trash and compacts it with 1000 psi and then dumps it into a bag . Or maybe a 3 pipe system that dumps greywater to tree's and disposal stuff to a pipe to the compost heap and another pipe for very clear waste water to a drum ....

BTW i can now repeat Karo lt syrup . 1/2 cup water or less in a pan , add 5 times more sugar 1) boil ALL the water away til the I.R. thermometer shows its quickly jumping from 210 F to 240 F , 2) boil the thick liquid for 5 minutes at 240 or 250 F 3) then cool to 180 F , 4) add water then heat to keep temp below 200 F . Mix the water into the syrup ( not easy to do ) .

When the last drop of water evaporates , the temp' will suddenly jump . The water was holding the temp at 210 F .. Lt Brown sugar works even better flavor . Add 1/4 tspoon salt and some vanilla and butter .... ButterScotch .

You will notice it is not as sweet as table sugar , for the syrup has lost its Fructose . It was converted to Maltose . They say use acid to split out the Frc , but it is not needed simply heating to 240 F works fast . They say nuetralize the Acid with NaOH- ( a pinch of sodium ) but it works w/o . But NaOH will add a bit of flavor . It tastes like pancake syrup . The salt is deceiving , if you add too much , it will turn to Butterscotch add none and you get a less Butterscotch taste . Try it . I use this in my iced tea and 100 uses ...

nancree wrote:

Reply to
werty

Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Dec 2006 08:16:42p, Matt meant to say...

I clean mine as noted in an earlier post, however, I've never really noticed it "stinking" and do the cleaning just as a matter of course. In have a continuous-feed In-Sink-Erator.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Get yourself a goat. They haven't changed much since 1969, and even current models DO NOT require cleaning. In my experience, they don't even WANT cleaning, as you may learn if you try to clean one.

A goat will address most, if not all, of your garbage disposal needs, and definitely not stink up the house. (This assumes that you do not let the goat into the house).

If you can't locate a local goat dealer/> A few years back, we replaced our 1969 garbage disposer.

Reply to
yetanotherBob

Why am I waiting for a punch line Bob?....Something about wearing rubber boots or something? he he Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Then what make and model are yours? That was the question.

Reply to
Matt

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the one replaced was from

1969. It could have been replaced before ... The most recent swap (ca. 2002) was without resort to a plumber or repiping. Not much to it---you need some plumbers putty if you don't have a stainless steel sink. Not much to it. It was about a one or two hour job as I took my time. Just follow the directions that come with the new one. You can probably find directions for your candidate replacement online at the mfgr's website.
Reply to
Matt

If your wife is like mine, she thinks that a garbage disposal is like a trash can. You wait until it is full, then empty it.

I just about have her trained. But still, at any time, I can go flip the switch and there will be something in there to grind up.

She just doesn't get it.

If you EMPTY the garbage disposal WHEN YOU PUT SOMETHING IN THERE, it can't stink. It's gone on its way down the pipe.

To get a start on it, run it with warm water for about two minutes. Pour some Clorox in there. Feed it some chopped up lemons.

And don't wait until it's full to turn it on. If you're leaving stuff in there long enough for it to stink,

Heeeeere's yer sign .................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Change, really! I think I've had the same box of baking soda in my refrigerator for the last 23 years.

But I take the top layer off every time I need to neutralize the acid on top of my car battery.

Actually, the fridge came with the house, but it had a sticker inside that said that the enamel walls were especially good at not absorbing smells. I probably dind't need the baking soda at all. :)

I had heard that they clog the thermostat of the clothes dryer, but surely they solved that problem by now.

Reply to
mm

No I usually chuck that in the bin.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

LOL.. that's the funniest thing I've ever heard! Since when does the hot water come in contact with the motor??

Reply to
Goomba38

I'm embarrassed to be a woman if that is what your wife really thinks and does. Good grief. If I just put stuff in there, it wouldn't take long for the sink to back up when I was running water to do anything else. Does she not use the sink for anything else between running the disposal....? She doesn't notice the problem here..?

Reply to
Goomba38

I have an insinkerator and it doesn't stink. I suspect it's your plumbing and not the GD.

-L.

Reply to
-L.