Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

Page 2 of 4

Baking soda and vinegar are sales , lots of sales , and money for Mr Armand Hammer
the inventor of Arm And Hammer baking soda .
Lye is for cleaning , but Draino charges far too much for Lye and magic dust ( aluminum dust actually ) . You can buy dry Lye ( caustic soda ) for cheap , but it clogs your drain first , then it unclogs it . It expands hair and bio material , clogging the drain , then it decomposes it . a pinch in food adds flavor , if its too acid ...
After all that , its too much hassle owning a garb' disposal . Just bag it and trash it .
Id like a piston compressor that takes all trash and compacts it with 1000 psi and then dumps it into a bag . Or maybe a 3 pipe system that dumps greywater to tree's and disposal stuff to a pipe to the compost heap and another pipe for very clear waste water to a drum ....
BTW i can now repeat Karo lt syrup . 1/2 cup water or less in a pan , add 5 times more sugar 1) boil ALL the water away til the I.R. thermometer shows its quickly jumping from 210 F to 240 F , 2) boil the thick liquid for 5 minutes at 240 or 250 F 3) then cool to 180 F , 4) add water then heat to keep temp below 200 F . Mix the water into the syrup ( not easy to do ) .
When the last drop of water evaporates , the temp' will suddenly jump . The water was holding the temp at 210 F .. Lt Brown sugar works even better flavor . Add 1/4 tspoon salt and some vanilla and butter .... ButterScotch .
You will notice it is not as sweet as table sugar , for the syrup has lost its Fructose . It was converted to Maltose . They say use acid to split out the Frc , but it is not needed simply heating to 240 F works fast . They say nuetralize the Acid with NaOH- ( a pinch of sodium ) but it works w/o . But NaOH will add a bit of flavor . It tastes like pancake syrup . The salt is deceiving , if you add too much , it will turn to Butterscotch add none and you get a less Butterscotch taste . Try it . I use this in my iced tea and 100 uses ...
nancree wrote:

perrylep said...

than the disposal.
Put a sheet of fragrant "Bounce" (the anti-static sheets for the laundry dryer) in the bottom of the trash can every so often. EOS.
Courtesy of the Farmer's almanac.
I put them in the kitchen and curbside trash "cans."
Andy
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:32:25 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

I don't like their sicky-sweet smell.
I just put baking soda in the bottom of the drawer where the trash can lives, and more baking soda in the bottom of the trash can itself. Change occasionally.
I have, however, heard that those "bounce" sheets are good for cleaning wooden shutters. T/F?
aspasia wrote:

[Rummage, rummage rummage] Ah, here it is.
http://repair2000.com/bounce.html
maxine in ri
maxine in ri said...

maxine,
LOL! You just made the internet seem so... tangible!
How refreshing! :)
Thanks,
Andy
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:04:48 -0800, aspasia wrote:

Change, really! I think I've had the same box of baking soda in my refrigerator for the last 23 years.
But I take the top layer off every time I need to neutralize the acid on top of my car battery.
Actually, the fridge came with the house, but it had a sticker inside that said that the enamel walls were especially good at not absorbing smells. I probably dind't need the baking soda at all. :)

I had heard that they clog the thermostat of the clothes dryer, but surely they solved that problem by now.

Mine never stinks. I grind egg shells in it every week.

I've always tossed a tray of ice cubes in it every so often.

Just be sure to run the disposer (and the water) every time you place food/trash in the disposer.
Pour a little bleach into the disposer every week or two to help.
If you are still having problems, investigate the downstream plumbing for problems. It does have a P-trap, right?
Mine doesn't stink at all. I rarely do anything to it other than toss in a half lemon or orange every once in a while.
Just a plain old Insinkerator.
Mitch wrote:

Yeah, the one we replaced was a non-stinking old Insinkerator. I should have saved it and tried to get the bent fork out of it. But new things are better, right?
Matt wrote:

<deadpan look>
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:09:15 GMT, Matt wrote:

If it isn't caused by improper installation, try these: http://www.doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.aspx?PageIDd&SKUA0705
Run the dishwasher outlet through disposal.
Matt wrote:

Grind a lemon once a week and see how that works. Should do the trick.

Matt wrote:

Nope, but try this: periodically put several ice cubes into the running disposal. The ice helps to clean the blades and the chamber and then run hot water through it. I also will drop in a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and flush with water. If all else fails toss in a whole lemon and let it get ground up.
George

Are they very common in America? I've never heard of anyone having them in Australia. I've only ever seen them on TV. I throw all of that stuff into the compost bin out the back, to go into the garden when ready. Improves the soil heaps.
Jen
Jen wrote:

27-story condos don't have a garden out back.
Garbage disposals are VERY common. They are REQUIRED if you expect to sell your home.
People who do need good soil buy it by the bag at Home Depot. It comes from Australia.

If you think I'm going to buy a buncha freaky Oz spider dirt, yer crazy!
nb

I also throw my table scraps into the compost jar and then into the bin, but one should not put grease, fat, bones, and meat into compost.
That stuff can go into the garbage.
I use my disposal very rarely; usually I put lemon rinds down the disposal as a purifier.
As to the disposal, I've never heard of one stinking. The geniuses on this NG will no doubt have wisdom about the pipes, the connections, other elements that might be doing the stinking.
Awaiting with interest...