is there a difference from tv cable to my computer?

stupid question here........ i already have a cable hook up for my tv in another bedroom of mine, i want to put my computer in there, is the cable i already have for my pc (in another room) different from the tv cable?

if so, then i'd need to run a cable from the one from my pc to my other bedroom (where i want to move my pc).

good gravy, i hope i wasn't too muddy. lol

Reply to
WHoME?

just so i understand you right (i'm thick headed), i can move my pc into another room (along with my cable modem), and connect my modem up with the cable that USED to be hooked up to a tv and my pc will work?

Reply to
WHoME?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:32:18 -0800 "WHoME?" used 10 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

I assume you're talking about a cable modem. It's the same.

You could extend the cable from the old PC location using a "barrel" type connector. Or if the new location is closer to the TV use a cable splitter.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Depends what you are trying to do.

If you want to hook up a cable modem. The cable will go from the wall into the cable modem. Then you will use an RJ45 network cable to connect the cable modem to the PC

If you are using a TV tuner card for a media PC, you will plug the cable right into your Video tunner card.

Hope this helps

Reply to
c_kubie

ah ha! that's it, thanks Tony :-)

Reply to
WHoME?

Hi, If you're talking about cable hook up(Internet using cable modem and TV), it's same. Just install two way splitter and feed the PC cable modem and TV. |- |>>>>>>> TV >>>>>>| | cable |_ |>>>>>>> PC cable modem

splitter

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:42:15 -0800 "WHoME?" used 13 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

That is correct. ;-))

Reply to
G. Morgan

it worked :-)

thanks everyone

Reply to
WHoME?

um yup and you can put a splitter on it too and have both tv and pc....coooooooooooooool :)

Reply to
AB

Yes, your PC will work... But your modem might not.

Reply to
Noozer

It sounds like you already have a cable modem in one room and want to move it to another? If so you may have a problem some cable companies put a filter to reduce the possibility of interference on the side that the cable modem is not on as the cable is usually split at the cable box for the computer and TV side. If you don't have a cable modem now then any TV cable outlet can be used for the computer. Don't worry about where the cable is vs. where the computer is. With the wireless routers that are out you can pt the computer wherever you want and the router provides greater security.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

On 12/12/2004 7:32 PM US(ET), WHoME? took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

No. You can use any TV cable outlet in the house for the cable modem. The only problem you may have is in how the cable is routed through your house to that room. When I signed up for my cable internet access, I installed the modem in one bedroom. Unfortunately, that cable outlet was near the end of the cable run and was inadequate to get a good signal for the modem (TV worked OK, however). I moved the modem to another room which had a more direct run to the cable splitter, and used it there for a while until I could install another direct cable run from the splitter to the first room. After that was done, I moved the cable modem back to the first room. It's been there for about 3 years now, and since then, I have installed cat5 cable to three other locations and now have 4 PCs networked to the cable broadband. To any one else reading this, don't even suggest that I should have used wireless rather than hardwiring the network. I had wireless before running the cat5. I was too lazy to run cat5 through 150 feet of walls, ceilings, and floors, so I went with wireless. Wireless sucked in my house. Too many walls, floors, and other interference causing factors between the router and the adapter. I was constantly repositioning the adapter at various and numerous times of the day to get a signal better than Low or Very Low, and in many cases, to get any signal at all. Dropouts were constant. Fortunately, I had a USB external adapter, so I only had to move the adapter around rather than moving the whole PC, which I would have had to do with a card adapter. I even had to extend the USB cable to 12' in order to find more places in the room to get a signal. I lived with that for about three months before I trashed the wireless adapter in favor of hardwire..

Reply to
willshak