Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vs collage

I looked up the difference between montage and collage and was confused by the results.
In (Am) English, is there any difference, today, between the use of montage vs collage?
Here, for example, is one confusing explanation: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5705493_difference-between-montage-collage.html
Yet, this one really confuses me: http://www.englishforums.com/English/MontageVsCollage/xjzjx/post.htm
But here's one that discerns between the two by media: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/135636-montage-vs-collage.html
Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:01:43 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?
"Danny D." wrote:

No.
What you see is the USA being flushed down the toilet.
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

You could call them "composites".
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper wrote:

That works too :)
Best choice IMO/
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I would say that those are a montage. They are individual photographs arranged on a background. They are not arranged to create another image from parts of each as I would expect in a collage. They are not laid out tile-like to form a pattern or image as one might expect with a mosaic construction.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
Danny D. wrote:

To me - an former photographer - they are montages because they form a continuous whole.
If I printed each image individually and pasted them up they would be a collage. It is a continuous whole but made of obviously separate elements which could be separated into individual elements again.
If I made tiles of various sizes, shapes and colors and formed them into your image I would call it a mosaic.
--

dadiOH