Is there a correct way to run deck boards?

I am going to build a deck across the front of my house. It will be 8 feet from the door to the steps, and 12 feet long. I have 8 foot deck boards because I was able to get them really cheap. But if I run them the 8 foot width of the deck, the boards will run from the door to the steps. Somehow this seems wrong. In other words, when I go up the steps toward the door, I'd be walking the length of the boards. It seems that the boards should go the 12 foot length of the porch, thus when I go up the steps, I will be walking from board to board as I go to the door. This seems like it would look better. Sure, I will have to splice the boards, but it just dont seem right to run them from the door to the steps.
Is this correct? Is there a correct way to build a deck? I have not yet built the framing, so I can go either way.
Josh
run them at 45 degrees...

On Jul 17, 11:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@hot-mail.com wrote:

There really isn't a "correct" way, it is a matter of appearance. In your case, the long way will look better but a 45 degree will look best and is the usual layout.
Harry K

However, the 45 degree method costs the most because it yields the most waste.

Yes. I was going to mention that but somehow forgot.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@hot-mail.com wrote:

Recent "Ask This Old House", Tom Silva went and replaced a falling down stoop/porch/entry deck. He specifically _CHOSE_ to run the decking the way you're thinking to ensure water ran away from the house down instead of pooling. Make sure the deck slopes slightly away from the house either way you choose to go.
Also has the advantage of the stronger long grain at the overhang of the top step meaning less likelihood of a split-off--a real concern w/ most of today's less-than-ideal lumber.
So, the choice is yours but there certainly is precedent for either and at least one example w/ reason for the perpendicular to the wall direction.
Personally, I'd look at it after laying out a few for the visual and decide on that basis although having the possibility of no joints is pretty strong motivation, too...
How's that for a definite "whatever..."???? ;)
The main thing is that the boards run perpendicular to the joists, either at 90 or 45 degrees. Your situation is one of aesthetics and is your preference. Your real issue will be with the joists. Are you attaching your frame to the house? Where will your ledger board go, how will you run your joists off the house, etcccccccc. If you want the boards to run side to side, make sure your joists are running front to back and the opposite for boards running front to back. Suggestion, why don't you split the difference and go boards at 45s? My back deck has them at 45 degrees and it looks sharp. More cutting and waste but all good looking things cost more (lol)!

Walk across the boards.
Also run the deck boards with the crown up!

I'd run the boards so that you don't have any butt joints, those look crappier IMO no matter how nice your wood is, a 2x6 is not uniformly wide so, one side of your butt joint would be wider than the other leaving uneven gaps ect..
going at 45 would force you to have butt joints and have lots of waste.
Dave
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:06:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hot-mail.com wrote:

Go green. Use the 8 foot boards and save a tree.

if you want to go green use MORE wood.This makes the lumber company keep more acreage in timber ,instead of it being used for parking lots,etc.
On Jul 17, 2:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hot-mail.com wrote:

Porches of older (1800) houses in Charleston SC all run from front to back - along the slope of the porches. Appearance of the leading edge is a quiestion to consider. T
(snip)
I bought a house a while back that had a beautiful deck with 4 sections of 45 degrees and flower pot holders etc. The problem was the builder paid no attention to cupping of the decking. Soon most of the boards had curled on the edges and whenever it rained it took hours for it to dry or I had to sweep it. Also splinters developed on the edges and decking screws pulled lose. A word to the wise....
Harry
On Jul 17, 2:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hot-mail.com wrote:

It will depend on how you are framing the deck. It is usually easier and cheaper to have the joists running perpindicular to the house all but forcing the boards to run parallel to the house.
You can run the joists the other way but will then need additional supports/beams. Check with your local building inspector.
On Jul 17, 1:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hot-mail.com wrote:

The common sense way is to run the planks from dooor to steps. If (maybe when) the boards warp there is far less chance of your bride stubbing her toe and falling flat with a load of groceries in her arms. Porch floors are commonly done this way (mine is) and I see no reason why decks should be built with alleged 'appearance' first and safety second as the criterion. From the standpoint of just looks, the spaces between the planks form a nice line that leads the eye from the steps to the door in a sort of welcoming aspect. So the artistic side gets my vote. HTH
Joe
replying to jlucky25, Rick Jones wrote: Little late answering but I just googled the same quandrie....after reading your comment I feel board to board or 45 is good, Im lazy so its horizontal like my house as opposed to walking the plank. Lol, which is my wifes thought...nah...Homer is doing it his way! Thanks! Rick