Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

Page 2 of 2
Wish I knew. I was working with bleach last week, and got some on my hands. I smelled like a swimming pool for about 24 hours. Next time, I wear gloves.

is not dangerous if it's your opinion.

On Friday, September 13, 2013 8:57:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Please don't say bleach plus ammonia forms mustard gas, when it's impossible. Mixing it can produce dangerous fumes, but not mustard gas.
On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 05:52:26 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

But that is what Hank said on King of the Hill so it must be true. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?tU0634
On 09/14/2013 08:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Mostly Cl2 (molecular chlorine gas), but other reactions are also possible, none of which are particularly pleasant.
http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/classic/A795611
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My grandfather used to work in municpal water supply, where a lake was the reservoir and the water was processed heavily, pumped to a city water tower and then distributed to people. The 'bleaching' process was stinky beyond belief, even in the large open area. He said that the recommended treatment/'cure' for exposure to chlorine was strong black coffee. Never had a chance to test that, I always thought it was better to drink milk to energize the mucosa tissue to do as much 'self-protection' as possible. Don't know. Anymore I don't believe anybody unless it's personal experience, the way the 'doctors' go back and forth on stuff. First do this, then it's no, don't do that, do this instead. oops no, do this something else instead. and so on. Doesn't engender a lot of confidence in ANY suggestions they have. Latest example, is, "Don't worry about the presence of cholesterol. We found that stuff is made by the body to HEAL the arterial inflamation, not cause it!
Anyway, your answer bisulfite I haven't tried. I did use SO gas once to completely reverse extremely damaging bleaching to an organic dye. BUT! the severely oxidized dye was still in the object. Had it been rinsed, and the now soluble dye gone, probably would not have been able to do that repair.
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:57:37 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Response to an article that's only five months old. It's from this year, anyway.
After two years of circular comments, here is the answer: Carpet cleaners who are into color correction use a bleach neutralizer before re-dying spots in carpet. Simply go to a janitorial supply store and ask for a bleach neutralizer.
On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:11:10 AM UTC+10, Danny D. wrote:

any idea how to neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot on the metal?? there must be something I can use.thanks in advance tony
On 11/14/2015 8:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

For small amounts, you could use Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) at about 1:400 Note you want to wear protective glasses, gloves, etc.
On 11/14/2015 09:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!
On 11/15/2015 6:16 AM, philo wrote:

Do responses lose their validity because the question is old? There's this wonderful thing called a search engine that will turn up all sorts of information -- questions, replies, etc. -- regardless of when they were stated!

Using the old thread may or may not be a good idea. If I was following up on something I knew to be a few years old, I'd be sure to mention it.
--
Dan Espen

On 11/15/2015 5:06 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Do "chemical antidotes to bleach" change? If someone was looking for that information *today*, would the response be different? If someone was CASUALLY READING the bits of this thread, would they say, "Gee! I didn't know that! Oh, wait... the original thread is 20 years old so I should ignore *today's* reply as it probably isn't valid..."?

As I said, responses DO lose something. Of course the intended response could be helpful. I never contradicted that.

Repeating:
If you are intentionally responding to an old thread, it's good to mention that you are doing it intentionally. Otherwise people will point out that the OP may not be around anymore and you may not be able to reference the parent post.
So:
LOOK AT THE DATE!
--
Dan Espen

On 11/15/2015 11:37 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

The post from " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" is dated 11/14/2015 on my server. The post *tosue* replied to was dated 2013.
BUT! tosue simply piggybacked AN ORIGINAL QUESTION onto that post. Repeating tosue's 10/14/2015 post, below:
any idea how to neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot on the metal?? there must be something I can use.thanks in advance tony
So, tosue's "sin" was piggybacking his post on an old post that asked, essentially, the same question.
Had tosue simply posted the original content of *his* post, here, it would have been deemed an appropriate, original question -- despite the fact that someone who was reading the newsgroup 2 or 3 years back might have remembered that this question had come up previously.
As such, philo's comment to "LOOK AT THE DATE!" was meaningless. tosue wasn't *replying* to "Danny D's 2013 post but, rather, repeating the same question that Danny D had asked (and apparently never received an answer) some 2.5 years earlier.

Yes. And the date of the post was 11/14/2015!
On 11/15/2015 12:13 PM, Don Y wrote:

In general...yes.
As technology changes I'd generally want the latest answer.
Sure, some things never change but in the technical/medical fields I'd usually want today's answers
The reason I posted however was simply because Google Groups seems to be infiltrating Usenet.

On 11/16/2015 6:56 AM, philo wrote:

Do chemical reactions change? ("how to neutralize bleach")

Google bought the Deja News USENET archives years ago. As a result, a Google Groups user sees much more "history" than a typical USENET user would -- cuz most NNTP servers expire articles after "a short while" (depends on the servers policies for each particular group).
So, a new subscriber to a group using a typical NNTP service initially sees "some number" of articles (depending on those policies) -- all of which appear to be "new, unread".
A Google Groups user sees *everything*. And, can more readily search through everything!
I suspect tosue went looking for a post that might help him "neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot on the metal". Rather than simply *asking* the question, he attempted to first find an *answer* (kudos to him for taking that initiative).
Danny D's 2013 post probably turned up as the (only?) hit. And, he opted to piggyback his NEW QUESTION on that post.
Had he, instead, been lazy and simply asked without researching, his would have been a NEW question.
Interesting that, aside from the "solution" that I posted, all the chatter re: his post has to do with the date of the post on which he piggybacked his initial query -- no one else offering him suggestions as to how to "neutralize the bleach" in his car trunk!
:<

On 11/15/2015 8:16 AM, philo wrote:

November 15, 2015.
BTW, my date was ugly. I had to stop looking.
--
.
Christopher A. Young