Is there a building code for use of Backerboard in shower installations for new constructions?

I closed on my newly built house last Jan. The warranty has now expired, and conveniently enough, there are vertical cracks in the grout of my stand up shower.

I spoke with someone at Lowes about it (he said he had built new homes up north for a while before coming to Florida). He asked how the tile was laid - ie, was it laid over standard sheetrock, or did they use cement backerboard.

I really was not sure, to be honest - however it seems that it may be laid over general sheetrock. He said that if the shower was tiled over standard sheetrock that the sheetrock may deteriorate quickly over time, resulting in a lot of expensive damage.

Considering that the wall does not sound very dense when you knock on it, I am wondering if the builder cheaped out and just used standard sheetrock.

Is there any sort of building code that requires the use of concrete backerboard for new constructions (in the bath areas)??

I am really worried now, as I know that the grout already has to be redone in those areas, but I really didn't want to worry about this other crap now.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?? By the way, I'm located in Orlando Florida.

Reply to
bruehlt

Local building officials would know for sure.

Where I live bathrooms are done in green (water resistant) wall board. That is MININIUM code. Tile can be installed over the green board. You have more problems than the drywall here. If the cracks are in the tile, grout joints then either the structure is shifting, or the installation of the tile was sub-standard.

Reply to
SQLit

when you call the building permit office, you must ask in what year of construction if you are asking about previous work, and what is required in today's construction for your repair permit. due to climates and so many types of building construction the answer you seek will be a local one. northern mistakes made in the south:

reading for various climate construction at:
and more at:

buffalobill

Take a drill with a 1/8" bit in it. Drill a small hole about 18" up from the floor on the wall *behind* the shower stall. Take a coat hanger (wire) and straighten it out. Use the wire to poke through the hole to test the material. It will "clunk" against cement board and will not penetrate it. It will "thud" against drywall/greenboard, and you will be able to push it into the board. Now you know. Patch the small hole with Spackle and patch-paint the wall. (Because it is low on the wall it will be less noticeable).

Reply to
BP

Take off the shower valve and cover plate and you'll see the backerboard where they cut the tile in a circle under the cover plate. Your house is so new it will all come apart easily.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

Thanks for the replies - I am going to check this tonight....

Reply to
bruehlt