Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

Page 3 of 7
On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 01:21:29 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

That's probably why woody plant herbicide works better. ;-)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:35:56 -0500, Frank wrote:

Hi Frank, 2,4D (aka Agent Orange) might work, especially if I could drop it out of the sky like they did in Vietnam - which - is my real problem with weed killers.
The poison oak plants I have are 20 feet long by something like 5 to 10 to 20 feet deep, so, there's just no way a normal weed killer sprayer is going to go the distance.
Today I tried to see if I could get my pressure washer to suck out of the 5 gallon pesticide jug - but I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Does anyone know how to get a pressure washer to spray the stuff?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 01:16:01 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Put it in the pressure washer's soap tank? Do any pressure washers suck up the "soap" when they're running at pressure? Every one I've seen will only draw from the tank when it's running very low pressure (won't spray very far). OTOH, they do sell 20' extensions for pressure sprayers.
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:07:56 -0500, krw wrote:

I'm confused.
I could not figure out HOW to get the pressure washer to suck a fluid out of an external tank (i.e., a soap tank).
Clearly my Honda pressure washer has a mechanism for sucking up the fluid as shown in the picture - but I've never done it.
Q: What do I have to do to a pressure washer to make it suck from the soap tank? Is there a valve or setting I have to twist or turn?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 01:13:59 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

My new pressure washer has two built-in tanks, it will suck at low or high pressure settings, and can set the suck rate. Love it: (Amazon.com product link shortened)

Every power washer I've ever seen has a place to attach a tube for sucking up liquid, often there's a port right on the spray gun housing ... most normal brained folks would ask the power washer's customer service department... and it's really dumb to ask about a power washer without indicating the brand/model number.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:17:21 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

This power washer has not only a place to suck up liquid, but it already has a hose attached. It's just not sucking up the liquid!
I'm sure it's because it needs a switch (somehow) flipped!
Here's a picture of the PowerStroke washer I just took for you.

It uses the Honda GC160 engine, if that helps.
Here is a closeup of the markings & the valving apparatus:

If anyone has ever used their pressure washer to suck out of the hose, they would probably know what the secret configuration setup might be.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:16:26 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Instructions are likely in the owner's manual. This looks like the same unit... it automatically mixes concentrates. Powerwashers usually suck concentrate only with the lowest pressure tip, because they're designed to apply the cleaner and then let it sit, not wash it right off. If you can't find instructions in the owner's manual phone the manufacturer. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-pressure-washer-2600-psi-2.3-gpm-honda/p-07175291000P
On 1/11/2013 12:16 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Getting your pressure washer to suck out of another container may be as simple as connecting the correct nozzle on the end of the wand. Going on failing memory, once had one that required a very open nozzle to be attached to the wand to suck the correct cleaning solution from a container but without the maximum pressure. Might be worth a try.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:34:52 -0600, NamPhong wrote:

One question.
Since the typical use would be to add detergent to the hose water that is sprayed out, can we suck ONLY from the container?
Or do we still need to hook the garden hose to the sprayer?
(The reason I ask is that the area it's needed is hundreds of feet from the nearest garden hose spigot.)
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:48:26 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Still need the hose. AIUI, the pressure washer uses a venturi too pull the soap out of the container. Without water the pump would probably overheat, too. The water is a coolant as well as a lubricant.

Hundreds of feet of hose? ;-)
On 1/11/2013 1:48 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Methinks you will need the garden hose hooked up also. Even the cheap pressure washers use 1.8 gallons per minute so you would need a 55 gallon drum to give you any spray time at all and that could get quite expensive depending on herbicide used.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 08:00:04 -0600, NamPhong wrote:

I had not realized this.
Thank you for the additional information!
At this point, we've confirmed that the pressure washer ONLY works from the hose in the practical sense, so I'd simply need a very long hose.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:53:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I'd not apply defolient with a pressure washer, that would be very wasteful, most would end up on the ground... apply with a hand operated squirt bottle to the cut stems only... I have a battery operated spray bottle (two AA cells) that works very well, adjusts from a spray to a stream. Most folks apply far more defoliant than necessary... in your case I would cut and spray immediately as I go. I actually bought this for spraying Japanese beetles with Sevin, did the job... I got mine from Lowe's. (Amazon.com product link shortened)58011005&sr=8-1&keywordsttery+spray+bottle
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:52:43 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

This is very useful information, which, coupled with the suggestion by others to spray in the first five minutes after cutting, is a good one:two punch.
I had never realized there are battery-operated sprayers.
Mine is the classic hand pump operated as shown in this picture:

The great part about the idea of spraying after cutting as opposed to spraying without cutting, is that the poison oak covers an area far greater than can be covered with spray - but- cutting it - by necessity - is such that the cut plants are ALWAYS within spraying distance!
So, oddly, from a practical standpoint, hand spraying can't work without cutting - yet - it works great if done within 5 minutes of cutting.
One 'problem' I just found out about with cutting though is that the urushiol in the roots and vines is ten to 100 times as potent as that in the leaves, so, cutting is inherently more dangerous overall.
However, the other side of this 'problem', is that spraying leaves the dead vines where they are, which is still a potent hazard for 5 years (wet environment) to ten years (dry environment) as the soil bacteria and elements break down the catechols in the sap.
It's very interesting to learn about thine enemy! :)
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:41:44 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

There are battery operated sprayers that are much larger capacity than the bottle I showed, but I think for what you're doing the small bottle is more than adequate. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeIdi70&Nttttery%2Bsprayers (Amazon.com product link shortened)58020213&sr=8-4&keywordsttery+sprayers
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:41:20 -0800, Bob F wrote:

This is the plan!
Notice in this picture how the sap is ONLY on the outside ring! (Just as you said.)

This is good advice for most people - but - for me - it won't work as well ONLY because the poison oak is so thick that I can't get roundup (glyphosate) to the plant except at the edges - but the plant is 40 to 50 feet deep in places.
So far, I'm planing on reading all the patents below, for information: 4,002,737 Prevention and/or treatment of poison ivy dermatitis 4,032,662 Method for the treatment of contact allergic dermatitis 4,199,575 Method of treating dermatitis venenata 4,259,318 Poison ivy relief composition 4,472,507 Method for detecting exposure to poison ivy and the like 4,499,086 Medication for treatment of poison oak irritation and inflammation 4,594,239 Method for neutralizing offensive chemicals 4,663,151 Aluminum chlorhydrate as a prophylatic treatment for poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac dermatitis 4,692,462 Compositions and method of controlling transdermal penetration of topical and systemic agents 4,803,047 Method for neutralizing offensive chemicals 4,834,901 Skunk odor shampoo 4,883,608 Polymeric decontamination composition 4,885,327 Swelled polymeric decontamination composition 4,902,441 Self moistening composition for deactivating toxic substances and method of use 4,949,641 Method of safely detoxifying mustard gases 4,990,334 Glycerol-chlorine matrix 5,011,689 Composition of matter and method for treating poison ivy 5,080,707 Life-prolonging agent for cut flower and method for treatment of cut flower 5,162,745 Multichannel sine synthesizer 5,192,498 Elimination of sulfide odor in thiocarbamate herbicides 5,240,699 Deodorant and filter using same, as well as method of producing the deodorant 5,369,108 Potent inducers of terminal differentiation and methods of use thereof 5,409,908 Complexing urushiols 5,443,847 Specific detoxification of urushiol with manganese salts 5,540,964 Moisture transport cast lining material for use beneath an orthopedic cast, being in the form of a fabric and consisting essentially of synthetic hydrophobic fibers or a blend of synthetic hydrophobic fibers and a second different fiber 5,620,527 Cleansing and disinfecting method 5,686,074 Poison ivy treatment composition and method of use 5,700,811 Potent inducers of terminal differentiation and method of use thereof 5,707,546 Generation and storage of chlorine dioxide in a non-aqueous medium 5,767,109 Complexing urushiols 5,811,113 Method and composition for deactivating HIV infected blood and for deactivating and decolorizing anticancer drugs 5,859,066 Method for the treatment of itching 5,888,515 Rhus dermatitis treatment composition and method 5,932,616 Potent inducers of terminal differentiation and methods of use thereof 5,985,302 Method for deactivating a contaminant 6,022,565 Rhus dermatitis treatment composition and method 6,087,367 Potent inducers of terminal differentiation and methods of use thereof 6,296,841 Odor control composition and process 6,423,746 Urushiol induced contact dermatitis and method of use 6,436,445 Antimicrobial and antiviral compositions containing an oxidizing species 6,511,990 Class of cytodifferentiating agents and histone deacetylase inhibitors, and methods of use thereof 6,534,075 Antimicrobial and antiviral compositions and treatments for food surfaces 6,584,633 Automated fragrance application apparatus and method 6,599,432 Methods for disinfecting small diameter water lines 6,613,729 Wet wipes containing cationic fatty acid surfactants 6,718,914 Method for neutralizing offensive chemical odors 6,800,305 Pharmaceutical composition that contains eucalyptus and orange oil 6,830,764 Method for denaturing allergens 6,855,328 Antimicrobial and antiviral compositions containing an oxidizing species 6,936,580 Hard surface cleaning pre-moistened wipes 6,994,890 Cleaning and multifunctional coating composition containing an organosilane quaternary compound and hydrogen peroxide 7,008,963 Urushiol induced contact dermatitis solution 7,033,511 Sustained water treatment in dental equipment 7,087,253 Pharmaceutical composition, comprising eucalyptus oil and orange oil 7,126,001 Class of cytodifferentiating agents and histone deacetylase inhibitors, and methods of use thereof 7,199,134 Hydroxamic acid compounds and methods of use thereof 7,288,527 Inhibition of allergic contact dermatitis by N-L-alpha-aspartyl- L-phenylalanine 1-methyl ester 7,345,174 Cytodifferentiating agents and histone deacetylase inhibitors, and methods of use thereof 7,351,747 Skin treatment for relief of itch 7,510,137 Dispenser for sheet material 7,589,054 Clathrates of an organosilane quaternary ammonium compound and urea and methods of use 7,618,616 Skin-protective compositions effective against vesicants and percutaneous chemical agents 7,666,829 Compositions for elastogenesis and connective tissue treatment 7,716,956 Attachment means 7,741,089 Laccases, nucleic acids encoding them and methods for making and using them 7,754,004 Thickened surfactant-free cleansing and multifunctional liquid coating compositions containing nonreactive abrasive solid particles and an organosilane quaternary compound and methods of using 7,799,803 Hydroxamic acid compounds and methods of use thereof 7,816,327 Inhibition of allergic contact dermatitis by N-L-alpha-aspartyl- L-phenylalanine 1-methyl ester 7,858,570 Compositions and methods for removing urushiol and treating the resulting skin condition 7,906,149 Method for treating allergic dermatitis 7,971,457 Devices for dispensing a laundry agent and methods for doing same 8,022,054 Liquid ganaxolone formulations and methods for use thereof 8,067,358 Triple-action remedy for removing toxic oils from skin 8,097,442 Laccases, nucleic acids encoding them and methods for making and using them 8,105,787 Applications of nucleic acid fragments 8,114,829 Elastin protective polyphenolics and methods of using the same 8,188,029 Hydrophilic polyurethane foam articles comprising an antimicrobial compound 8,257,780 Therapeutic composition containing an organosilane quaternary compound and hydrogen peroxide for treating skin disorders and methods of using RE38,506 Potent inducers of terminal differentiation and methods of use thereof
When I'm done reading, I'll summarize for all to benefit.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:22:28 -0800, Bob F wrote:

Good point!
Hoses expand a bit. Might have to spray for a few seconds, and then let the pressure come back up. The pressure builds back up, and the hoses swell up a little.
I've worked at the end of 300 feet of hose, cleaning a roof top AC at a mall, and it wasn't too awful bad. I was pleasantly surprised. Larger 3/4 good quality braided nylon hose will perform a lot better than kinked 1/2 vinyl, as you'd expect.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:22:28 -0800, Bob F wrote:

Good point!
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 05:14:29 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Luckily this situation would have the pressure washer at the bottom of the ravine a few hundred fee down the hill, which is a good hundred feet or so vertically BELOW the hose bib at the house.