Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

Page 1 of 7
This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed it up for proper disposal.
After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil (my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.
Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove, I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)
Here are 19 annotated pictures, taken sequentially. 1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long (or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

In California wilds, goats that preferentially ATE poison oak were used to 'maintain' the landscape. Goats were happy. People were happy. Now THAT is recycling!
Brilliant idea, just stay away from the poison oak goat turds?
In California wilds, goats that preferentially ATE poison oak were used to 'maintain' the landscape. Goats were happy. People were happy. Now THAT is recycling!
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 05:58:45 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

Friends down the street actually have goats, and they concur. The key problem for them to lend me the goats is that the land isn't fenced in.
Can the goats be tethered on aircraft cable lines? So the goats don't chew themselves free?
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 05:58:45 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

Friends down the street actually have goats, and they concur. The key problem for them to lend me the goats is that the land isn't fenced in.
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:23:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's an interesting and clever idea!
But, at this point, I'm not goating there!
:)

I agree, wouldn't want to horn in...
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
I'd bite, but chewed not like what I had to say. It would be baaaad.
We have a problem in the USA, when we have goat naught better to do but oak around on usenet.

I agree, wouldn't want to horn in...
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Butt it's still a good idea.
Hey, let me know if you need a top poster to goat (goad) you on. Ha, ha!
As to applying salt. I think the choices include to dissolve in water and spray, or to sprinkle it on the ground. Poultices are too much work, and it's not alcohol soluoble enough to make tinctures. I'd think sprinkling on the ground at the base of the plants. With the size of your infestation, you may need a snow thrower to distribute the salt pellets. We can safely rule out IM or IV inejctions.
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:23:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's an interesting and clever idea!
But, at this point, I'm not goating there!
:)

tethered?
At the same moment, we had the same idea to teher. (sorry, not funny.)
We'd come up with an idea. One, or t'ether.
tethered?
On Jan 8, 3:43pm, "Stormin Mormon"

arrrggg! what did I do to deserve this punishment?
Sorry, I do like word play, now and again.
Back to helping Danny think about his poison oak growth. I think he's taken on a MAJOR huge task.
wrote in message
arrrggg! what did I do to deserve this punishment?

Goat(s) on a rope?
In the PNW, you can rent goats for blackberry control, along with sections of portable chainlink fence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9jxa7T6WGQ

How about power pruners like: http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LP1000.aspx or the pro versions?
Do you know about Technu IvyBlock and Technu Extreme? http://www.ivyblock.com / http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu-extreme A friend who is exquisitely sensitive to poison oak/ivy/sumac swears by it.
Kay
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:42:03 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Wow. That looks like a mean pruner! This is the FIRST suggestion which is actually affordable (i.e., $80). I do have a 20 inch hedge clipper - but it gets hung up on the vines all the time, so I didn't even mention it. But THIS pruner, wow, it sure looks like it might do the job if I can get an 18-inch long jaw.

I've researched the chemicals in those expensive creams in great detail. What I use is the cheaper base alternative shown in this photograph: Bentonite clay (IvyBlock), Dawn Dish Detergent + alchohol (Technu/Zanfel)

In my very humble opinion, only people who work for the government (e.g., firemen) can afford these expensive $40/ounce solutions.
The problem with IvyBlock (or my driller's clay) is that you have to put it on ahead of time; and the problem with Technu (or dish detergent + alcohol) is that it mostly works in the first 15 minutes.
But, I just found this patent which will give me a great new solution! - United States Patent 4,594,239, June 10, 1986, - Method for neutralizing offensive chemicals - http://tinyurl.com/ah7myn3
I can take diluted bleach (or pool trichlor) and mix it with rubbing alcohol (or acetone) as a wetting agent, and that will oxidize the urushiol sap just enough so that the body's T Cells won't recognize it anymore as offensive.
The beauty of this (new to me) approach is that I can afford to slather this new decontamination solution on my face, hands, wrists, ears, and neck every fifteen minutes while working in the ravines.
The amazing thing is that I had never heard of this decontamination solution until just yesterday! I found it out on rec.photo.digital when I asked how to decontaminate my expensive Nikon SLR which is clearly covered in urushiol sap by now!
On 01-08-2013 08:58, Robert Macy wrote:

Even better, dairy goats. Drinking the milk of goats that eat poison oak tends to give you a partial immunity.
--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:22:22 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

I wonder if it helps to be sensitized as a child to poison ivy (back east) and then to be thoroughly exposed to poison oak (out west).
The only difference in the catechol oil urushiol is poison ivy urushiol has a 15 carbon chain while poison oak urushiol has a 17 carbon chain.
But, slight differences, can sometimes make a huge difference in cell mediated immune responses.
Note: I use free drillers bentonite instead of expensive ivy block; and I use Dawn dishwashing liquid instead of $40/ounce Technu (only the government can afford those prices!).
BTW, here's a dripping vine I cut today, the size of my wrist, just dripping with urushiol!

Makes sense, just as eating local honey helps reduce 'spring fever' reactions.