Is the A/C working?

We are renting a 1700 SQFT house in dallas, It's 90 degrees outside, but the AC (central air) can only get it 76-77 degrees inside the house in the afternoon. I have tried multiple settings on the thermostat, to no avail. the landlord sent an AC guy out who determined the coils needed cleaning, and the drain pipe was clogged, he did both of those things, it seemed to get better for a day or two but it went back to being warm in the house. The guy came back out, and said the pipe was not clogged, he checked the freon, it was ok and said the only think he could find was some leftover dirt in the pipes, and on the unit, which he cleaned out. Again, it worked nicely for a few days, but starting today it is beginning to get warm in the house. It seems to help if I leave the AC off for an hour or two, but after a while it goes back to its same ways. If I put my hand up to the vent, the air feels slightly cool, but I do not think its near what it should be. The compressor otuside is running, one pipe is cool, the other warm, is this normal? Based on what I've told you, should it be cooler in the house? Is there there anything I can check on my own? Since this guy has come out twice I have a good mind to call another guy and just absorb the cost of the service call because it is worth it to me to be cool. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, nickolas

Reply to
Nickolas

I'd look the machine over and see what the BTU's are for that unit.

SOunds like an underpower problem.

Reply to
Gene

Sounds like your evaporator coil is freezing up. Get a good qualified technician to look at it (not the current goober).

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Where would I find out the required BTU's and how many it's actually getting?

Reply to
Nickolas

Run a Manual J on your house.

Red Neckerson

How about some basic stuff. Measure the actual temperature coming out of the A/C registers. Measure the one closest to the furnace and the one furthest away. Also measure the room temperature after the unit has been running for a few hours and the outside temperature. Take all these measurements at the same time (not some in the a.m. and some in the p.m.).

Then come back here and post your findings. Prepare to be FLOODED with opinions, mis-information, wise-ass remarks and, if you're lucky, some helpful information.

We're waiting......

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

If every time the guy comes out and cleans the coil. Get rid of that problem. You might need to have the ducts cleaned. I assume you have changed the filter before posting.

Reply to
SQLit

I own 170 units of apartments with my mom and dad and sometimes have to tackle issues like this. 1 make sure that the attic is well ventalated.2. Clean the coils with an acidic cleaner and flush with water in the inside ac unit and the outside compressor and ofcourse make sure the outside compressor blows warm air. 3. If there is frost on the coils then there is not enough freon or to much nitrogen or the compressor is bad.. 4. If you have alot of windows and no trees the temprature will always be only 10 degree less than the outside so get some drapes. 5. You may need a new brack down and get a new ac or compressor. 6. "You may be lying that you don't open the sliding glass patio door will you have a smoke. Take it from me I know.

Reply to
capja7