Is super R foil reflection insulation for real?

We want to add to our current attic insulation and it has been recommended that we use the foil reflective insulation. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Does it work?
Mel wrote:

The simple answer is yes, it works. BUT it may not work as well as the advertising suggest.
As long as the surface is clean, it does do a good job of reflecting radiant heat. However it does not help much otherwise. Once dusty, which happens rather quickly in many uses, it looses a lot of it's ability. It has it's place, but don't count on getting the results the adds suggest. For the most part, I suggest the old tried and true materials.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Mel wrote:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/factsheets/bc7.html
....research has proven that radiant barriers installed in heating dominated climates are not economic at all unless the material and labor costs are extremely low (almost free.) And, in some cases, radiant barriers have been seen to actually increase heating costs since the attic was kept cooler during sunny winter weather. This increased heat loss from the living space below during those sunny daytime hours.
You are better upgrading based on R value to modern standards, Radiant barriers have 0 R. Check Dow, Owens Corning, and Energy Star web sites for modern values. Codes are minimums and not optimal
Used it last year after one season of very hot weather in the Atlanta area. Prior to installing I monitored the attic temp compared to outside temp. Generally, attic was 20 - 25 degrees hotter, even with powered attic fan running almost continously. I installed the foil sheets (Lowes) on the underside of the roof rafters. Temp. difference is now consistently 10 degrees. The A/C unit in the attic likes that improvement....and....
if we go into the attic, late at night, after a few tequila shots, the wife gets really WILD, if you know what I mean, what with the mirrored ball and strobes and all.
I think it's worth it but that's just me.

Joe Fabeitz wrote:

Have you measured the temp of your roof deck? You could be damaging your roof. Do you have the area between the barrier and the bottom of the roof deck vented?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I have not measured the temp of the roof deck. When I researched this product, I found nothing that would discourage me from using it (obviously). I looked at data from mfg'rs and research groups with no profit interest. I believe there was a DOE study, as well. http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant /
The panels are fastened to the under side of the roof rafters and approach the soffit vents at the lower end and the ridge vent at the upper end. No other material is in placed between the rafters so this forms a channel for air to circulate from the soffits to the ridge.