Is stucco material simply mortar mix?

I want to try stucco on some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula for stucco?

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Typically stucco is applied in two coats. The base coat can be a good quality Type S mortar. The finish coat should be "real" stucco, like this:

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

ditto.

The first coat is called the scratch coat. This is applied to wire, masonry, plywood, or other surfaces as the first coat. The second coat is called the color coat, and has the tinting in it to give it the desired color.

If you want any particular type of finish, like say a peacock tail spread, or a special pattern with the color coat, then you have to apply a flat first coat so that the second one flows over the first.

It ain't rocket science, but it IS a cement mixture, and you only have a while when it is wet, so get your ducks in a row, and know what to do, because once it starts drying, that's what it's going to look like for a long long time.

A little studying, Googling, and asking around will save you a lot of work and heartache later.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

How are the patterns put into the stucco? I've seen some that look like little worms, not that I want to do it or even like it...just really curious about the stucco process.

Reply to
DAC

Not sure, there may be an answer at

iqbssox

"How to make stucco. Need to do stucco work and have no idea how to make stucco? Read this article and find out what is needed."

Dennis

And, if possible, watch a pro apply a coat. Just as in drywalling, you can learn more watching for 5 minutes than any reference will teach you. The reference material gives you the 'theory', watching gives the 'how to'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yea, I remember when me and my wife wallpapered the bathroom. I think we finally got all the blood stains off......

Reply to
Dennis

Never, ever, ever give your wife anything sharp or heavy when doing a joint project. Doing so puts your life at risk...

Reply to
PeterD

You are out of place here....Keep your opinions for the ebayeess...

Reply to
Jose Enrique

Reply to
PeterD